Debating between Hero3+ filters and macro lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macro lenses on GoPro don't in effect really magnify UW. What they allow you to do in this case is allow the camera to get closer to the subject while staying in focus. The better the lens, the closer with less optical distortions. Cheap ones will bring your minimum focal length from 12" to around 8" to subject. Good lenses as close as 4".

Yep, the a key question to ask is what do you intend on filming with the macro lens ? Will the subject let you stick the GoPro 4"-8" from it's face without swimming away and how still can you hold the camera ?

My tests show the polar pro can focus up to about 4" both under water and on land.
4 inches? Which model lens is that? It must be pretty good build. Even when I would stack three +10 diopters (cheapos I'll admit) I could barely achieve 4". Focus though is subjective. What some may consider in focus others may not.

Polar pro switchblade (without the red filter down), I actually tested it after reading this thread. Sure enough 4 inches (which I think is what they advertise).

Backscatter's Flip 3.1 "Dive" filter provides the best color balance (in my opinion). There is enough restorative color without overdoing it. Many of the filters, including Backscatter's "Deep" and SRP Cyan filters produce a weird yellow tone that can overpower the other colors.

What lights are you using with your Gopro for UW, I have only got my first Gopro and trying to find the best system to put together for diving around the Coromandel, usually at the Aldermans. I've looked at Light and Motion video lights at Global Dive in Auckland though the Light for Me systems have been recommended. Where do you dive and what are you using?

I use the light-for-me 3XML video light. I think it's a brilliant light, ideally I'd like two, but until funds allow, I've only got the one. Nice wide angle beam, Lots of light (3200 lumens) and reasonably small and compact, perfect for the go pro. I dive mainly in the UK (green water) but take it traveling anywhere I plan to dive.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I second the 3XML. Great light for the price. I have it ball-mounted to the ULCS Pistol Grip GoPro setup with the SRP CYN filter. I hold the rig by the light, let the GoPro hang down and drive it between corals to get great close-ups that really pop :) Easily tucks into cumberbund or clips to BC when not in use. I keep eyeballing a second 3XML (more light is better!), but love the streamlined setup with only one light. Will probably get that second 3XML before doing the Manta Dive in Hawaii tho...

I just got a gopro on my last trip and am yet to use it. Is a light only useful for macros or is it any use with general wide angle videography? The throw of the light is not going to reach more than a few meters in any case... ???

Pearlman

The throw of the light is not going to reach more than a few meters in any case... ???

true, but that light makes all the difference. this was shot at 25 metres. without the light, it would be trash (watch in HD!).

[video=youtube;ORuENIplkGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORuENIplkGc[/video]

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

What lights are you using with your Gopro for UW, I have only got my first Gopro and trying to find the best system to put together for diving around the Coromandel, usually at the Aldermans. I've looked at Light and Motion video lights at Global Dive in Auckland though the Light for Me systems have been recommended. Where do you dive and what are you using?

L&M Sola 2000 x 2 - initially i thought this might be overkill, but it's definitely not for WA shots. I got these lights from Global Dive. I usually dive at the Poor Knights.

true, but that light makes all the difference. this was shot at 25 metres. without the light, it would be trash (watch in HD!).

[video=youtube;ORuENIplkGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORuENIplkGc[/video]

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

L&M Sola 2000 x 2 - initially i thought this might be overkill, but it's definitely not for WA shots. I got these lights from Global Dive. I usually dive at the Poor Knights.
Good video. So your favorite torch throws light up to 25m? Will a long throw torch have a correspondingly narrow beam and vice versa? What is the spread of the beam in this torch? You mention not recommended for WA scenes.. Which one should I get for WA?

Thanks again
P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom