Debating between Hero3+ filters and macro lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solinnea

New
Reaction score
This may be repetitive; I have read tons of threads about this on here already, but still cannot seem to make up my mind regarding filters and macro lenses for my GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition. Some threads relate to older models of the filters and GoPro and new comparison videos are hard to find. I am new to GoPro as well as underwater videography. I have chosen the Sealife Aquapod to use while diving. I just moved back to the Pacific Northwest so I will be doing a lot of diving here -- but I think I will use lights rather than a greenwater filter.

However, I will be traveling and diving frequently in tropical locations and am having trouble deciding between filters. I have ruled out Polar Pro, and am considering Backscatter's Flip 3.1 Combo pack or SRP's Blurfix3+ with CYD. These two seem to be the most popular and highly recommended. Backscatter combo includes 3 filters -- is this excessive or is it necessary? It seems slightly more convenient that Blurfix3+ only has one filter, but will the the Flip3.1's filters create more optimal footage? It seems convenient that you can flip up the filters on the Flip 3.1 though. I am really torn about this -- any input would be helpful. Any thoughts?

I was deciding between SRP's Marumi Macro +10 lens and Backscatter's Macromate Mini lens. Backscatter's setup seems convenient since you can flip the macro lens up and away while not in use. Because of this, I am leaning towards Backscatter's macro lens. Would it make more sense for me to get the Flip 3.1 too, then?

Note: quality is much more important to me than price, so price is not a deciding factor.

Also, I appreciate your advice in advance and sorry if this post is repetitive, I know there has been a lot of discussion on these topics. Thank you!

If you are planning on doing macro and wide on same dive then the Flip 3.1 is a more convenient setup IMO. Just realize that if you use a macro lens with no red filter applied you will have to use lights. I know there are some setups that combine both red filter and macro lens in which case light not necessary.

I bought the Polar Pro switchblade and while I am ok with the filter, the macro lens did very little that I can tell although I only have 1 dive trip to test so far.

I agree with El....if you don't use a filter you will have to use lights.

I am interested in the outcome of the macro lens for you as I will be in the market for one in the near future.

Macro lenses on GoPro don't in effect really magnify UW. What they allow you to do in this case is allow the camera to get closer to the subject while staying in focus. The better the lens, the closer with less optical distortions. Cheap ones will bring your minimum focal length from 12" to around 8" to subject. Good lenses as close as 4".

I have the Backscatter Macromate Mini and can recommend it. I use lights. I also have greenwaterfilter but havent used it much lately. The gr filter is optional on the flip 3.1 package. It is not included.

sent from mobile unit

Can't comment on the macro but i can comment on the SRP filters... quality is top notch and they work like a charm!! I have SRP's Blurfix3+ with CYD and a URPro GR Filter... both work great without lights and even better with them

Just got everything in, set up and wet in the pool... Couldn't be happier and excited as hell to get footage in Bonaire... 21 more days!

GoPro 3+ Black
Backscatter 3.1 Flip with 2 x 55mm mounting rings
55mm Macromate Mini filter from Backscatter
55mm URPro CY filter from SRP
SRP tray and handles
6" Loclines
2 x Gobe 700 wide lights
Magnus megagrip flexible tripod

I'll be sure to post some video when down there so you can see what the filters, lights and settings on the 3+ will do...

I've been playing with macro lenses too. The Polar Pro macro lens focuses at around 8 inches which isn't much use. I've ended up with two 55 mm rings, Macromate Mini and SRP red filter. Out of water tests with the Macromate Mini have been very good indeed. Underwater it is trickier because you need to be quite precise with the focus distance and this is hard to see on the small LCD of the GoPro.

You can stack your SRP red filter on the Macromate Mini. I've not tried this underwater, but don't think it confers much benefit as lights are pretty much essential for macro video.

I have a quick question which sort of fits in with this thread.

I want to get the Backscatter Flip filters for my Hero 3+. Is the Flip 3.1 combo the correct 'fit' for the 3+ version of the GoPro? (I'm not sure if there are different filter attachments for the Hero 3 vs the Hero 3+).

Thanks.

My tests show the polar pro can focus up to about 4" both under water and on land.

Back
Top Bottom