Backscatter Flip3.1 vs SRP BlurFix+CYD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy,
I am having a devil of a time deciding between these two set ups for my new GP4 silver. Migrating (complementing?) from a DC1200, if that matters. In short, I need a red filter for diving. I am a diver who would like to photo/video, not a photographer who dives. So ease of use, minimal fuss, and flexibility are very important. The threads on SB have been informative. But not conclusive enough, so I'll lay it out a bit more directly.

On the one hand, the Backscatter Flip 3.1 seems highly flexible. I can mount one or more filters that would adapt to varying light/depths. Moreover, I can flip off a filter once topside. I would guess the plastic is fairly durable, albeit prone to abrasions and microbubbles.

On the other hand, I have been more impressed by the results of the SRP filter from videos shared on line. The glass reads like it's better quality, and the setup can be mounted wet or dry. On the downside, I feel like it would require more fiddling, have to be stored somewhere pre-depth, be less flexible between above/underwater, and prone to dropping/breaking.

Prices are same-ish for the Flip 3.1 + DIVE filter ($69) compared to Blurfix3+ 55 CYD ($77). I'd like to stick very close to that price point and not add on more unless it's of significant benefit.

I did have the occasion to contact SRP with some questions. They were extremely friendly and responsive. Maybe Backscatter is as well, I don't know.

Polar Pro is not in the consideration set.

Anything I'm not considering here; or, did anyone already go through this calculus and have some advice?
Thank you,
Amw 5G

I was also having a difficult time making the same decision and ended up getting the SRP system. I ordered in a couple of days ago and will not use it until our Bonaire trip in March.
My deciding factors were the lens quality and the ability to stack filters. I plan on purchasing some sort of pouch that I will tether to the pole or tray (still haven't decided which way to go with that).

This is the kit I bought: 55mm Stackable Filter Adapter Pack Bundle for the Hero 3+ & Hero 4
I also plan on ordering the stackable adaptor which makes it possible to stack another macro lens.

It's my understanding that the Blurfix with the CYD ($77) is plastic, not glass. Therefore you're looking at getting the blurfix and a separate (glass) CY filter...correct me if I'm wrong.

It's my understanding that the Blurfix with the CYD ($77) is plastic, not glass. Therefore you're looking at getting the blurfix and a separate (glass) CY filter...correct me if I'm wrong.
It would appear you are indeed correct. I had mistakenly applied the description of the URPRO CY filter to the CYD filter. Reading the page for the latter, it shows "polycarbonate". Perhaps this doesn't perform quite as well as the glass CY. Hrm.... Given my price point, I would not opt for adding the glass as that would take me to $117.
Thanks for clearing that up, puncho.

The cyd perform as well as the glass cy filter. One is glass one is poly carbonate. Both can be scratch. Small scratches won't matter as the water will fill that up and won't see it in the video. Get deep scratches, glass or plastic .. Its gonna appear.
Take care of it.. Glass or plastic will be fine

Maybe not very attractive because of the costs, but, would it be possible to get the best of both? Install a backscatter flip system with the 55mm lens holder in attached. Then you could mount that URPRO CY or CYD filters sold by SRP onto that. Total cost as I see it would be $69 for the flip + $19.95 for 55mm filter holder and $77 for the URPro CY filter sold by SRP =$165.95.

Optionally, you could add a topflip($39.95), another 55mm filter holder ($19.95) to add another filter or lens to your setup.

Would this work or is the benefit of the URPRO filters somehow related to properties of the BLURFIX adapter that the flip 3.1 + 55mm holder doesn't have?

The Flip + URPRO is a very good idea. I had considered it as someone in another mentioned they were going to try it out. However, as you mention, it's beyond my budget. I'd like to stay <$100 including tax & shipping.

Hey amw5g, what you can try (and I'm thinking of doing this as well since I recently bought a gopro 4 silver) is the flip, not flip 3.1 ($20) from backscatter (FLIP3.1 55mm +10 Macro Lens for GoPro Hero4, Hero3+ & Hero3) and the CY filter ($77). El Pistoffo from this forum does that, I think and the results look pretty good (Roatan - Mary's Place in El Pistoffo's Videos on Vimeo). Not sure about tax/shipping but I think that's the cheapest option for an adapter and glass filter.

edit: nvm, that's just the adapter for the 55mm, not to fit to the gopro. Back to the drawing board

Last edited:
I bought the Flip3.1 for my Hero4 Silver. Just came back from the Maldives and the videos are phenomenal. I will need a while to edit them and post them here but trust me this is a great combination. You can't go wrong with the SRP filters either, but for me I like the flip system because it allows me to have multiple filter for a multi-level dive. If I had the dive filter on some of the shallower reefs it would have been too red, but if I used the shallow filter for some of my deeper dives it would have not been enough red, so having both at once is great and I never have to worry about losing a filter. It's not that hard to switch them underwater, very very easy and takes just a second.

If I'm diving deep (greater than 70 feet) I take my deep filter and my regular dive filter and the deep filter works surprisingly well on deep dives. Even though Backscatter recommends using it at 70+ I would personally only use it on deeper than 80 feet if you're diving in clear blue water.

Back
Top Bottom