Getting started with UW video... First up, lights! (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krist3l

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I work in film/video for my day job and I'm looking to improve my underwater video skills without immediately dropping a bunch of $ onto something that is overkill for my level of experience. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me feedback on my rationale and research so far -- especially if you disagree.

Knowing what I know about video, I think a logical first step would be acquiring some lights and seeing what I can accomplish with my GoPro 10. I recently compared the footage I shot with a dive buddy's HERO9 vs my old HERO7 and the difference was remarkable so I think for the purposes of learning more about underwater physics I don't need to make a bigger investment just yet.

I will, however, need light. More specifically, a dual setup to cover the GoPro's FOV. So far the main contenders are Kraken 4000 and the the Big Blue 4200, with Kraken coming out on top because of everything I've read on this forum. I don't see myself using the RGB options on the Kraken at this time, but perhaps that need will arise later. Light & Motion doesn't seem to have an equivalent when it comes to lumens and the beam range seems to be more limited as well. Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Regarding the tray + arms setup, I'm looking at Ikelite vs Ultralight and debating between 5"+5" and 5"+8" arms on either side. I'm aware that the 5" corresponds to the distance from the GoPro sensor but wondering about having an additional 5" or 8" on either side, for more versatility. Flex arms sound creaky so I'd rather avoid those. Any thoughts on the quick release handles (on the Ikelite) vs using ball clamps?

The thinking is that I could repurpose the Krakens at a later date once I upgrade my camera body. I've been eyeing the Sony asIII but who knows what will be out in 6 months...

Appreciate everybody's input in advance!

The big blue is 4000lm for only the first few min.
Light and motion has their 3800 which will be 3800 at min 1 and min 45.

I am using two Big Blue VL4200P video lights with my TG6 camera. They work really well. I keep my old Hero4 in the dry port on my camera housing. I just video for fun and none are edited just as they come off the TG6. I have left my video lights on for whole 1 hour night dives as you don't need full power and they run fine. Normally I get 3 days dives as only use the lights when taking photos or video.

This on a night dive

This on a day dive at 34m depth

This with the lights on low power for a very close macro video. Go pro will have lost focus when this close

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

I like the nitescuba lights. Yes they are Chinese lights but so far I have been happy with mine and have had non Chinese lights fail for no good reason (Sea Life sea dragon flooded for no apparent reason after two years and an Ikelite DS 161 flooded on the first dive trip after 30 dives. No good reason). You can buy three NSV60 for the price of one Big Blue 6000 and I doubt that you could tell the difference in performance. You might even get away with just one of them as they have a very large fov. I use just one and most of the time don’t miss having two. However I have my GoPro attached to my DSLR housing and the video light attached to one of two strobes so adding a fourth light is something I am avoiding. :)

I am using two Big Blue VL4200P video lights with my TG6 camera. They work really well. I keep my old Hero4 in the dry port on my camera housing. I just video for fun and none are edited just as they come off the TG6. I have left my video lights on for whole 1 hour night dives as you don't need full power and they run fine. Normally I get 3 days dives as only use the lights when taking photos or video.

This on a night dive

This on a day dive at 34m depth

This with the lights on low power for a very close macro video. Go pro will have lost focus when this close

View attachment 712196
Neat! Thanks for the visual example.

Random question: did Olympus change the housing at all between the TG-2 and the TG-6? It looks remarkably similar to my TG-2's housing (model # PT-058).

Thanks everyone! All this info is super helpful.

Do you have any thoughts on which arms I might need other than 5" on both sides?

I recently compared the footage I shot with a dive buddy's HERO9 vs my old HERO7 and the difference was remarkable so I think for the purposes of learning more about underwater physics I don't need to make a bigger investment just yet.
As a user of a new H7B I got I’m really curious about what you found so deficient in the H7B.
Can you share a short sample clip of an A/B comparison of H7B vs H9B that you found so remarkable?

Thanks

As a user of a new H7B I got I’m really curious about what you found so deficient in the H7B.
Can you share a short sample clip of an A/B comparison of H7B vs H9B that you found so remarkable?

Thanks
I don't know how much a side by side comparison would help you since the footage will be from different dive sites with different lighting conditions, however overall I was noticing a lot less compression artifacts and better color on the H9.

My dive buddy had also turned on the stabilization feature on his H9 which I've never used for diving before. (Thought it was more for vibration-style motion a la skateboarding, driving, shaky hands). That said, it's equally likely that my buoyancy just improved by the time I switched from the 7 to the 9 (halfway through the liveaboard), so it may have had nothing to do with the camera.

The 7 is a solid GoPro -- I had a good run with it!

Neat! Thanks for the visual example.

Random question: did Olympus change the housing at all between the TG-2 and the TG-6? It looks remarkably similar to my TG-2's housing (model # PT-058).

I have read that people have used the TG5 in the PT059 housing for the TG6. I have never owned a TG before so started with the TG6.
You're welcome on the video I find them useful to show people who want to see the TG6 in action rather than just a typed reply.
You can see on my tray my setup is very compact. The Big Blue lights have a 120 degree spread and with the Ikelite Ball sockets I can swivel them to any position I need.

I like the kraken video light, and I was looking to upgrade my video light to get the kraken.
One good thing about it, is that you can add a remote :

As you mention you want 2 light, it is very convenient to be able to control both light as the same time.
Big blue also has a remote, but for only the 10000 lm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom