Trip Report Back in the high life again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 8 of 12. For a change of pace, I went up to Jupiter today to dive the Friday 3 tanker with JDC. I thought we would be doing Deep Ledge for the 1st dive, unfortunately, that was not the case. To be fair the JDC reservation calendar is not up and you must call for reservations. From many prior visits, I assumed Deep Ledge would be the first dive, but did not ask when I called. As they are running both boats at half load, this is understandable. There were 3 students on board, finishing their AOW. I dived on the Republic IV with Capt. Tom, guide Hannah, and mate Ryan.

The day started with light sprinkles and ended with bright sun. Seas were 2-3 feet. I was surprised that the water temp was 76 degrees on all 3 dives. Visibility was about 40 feet. There was a moderate north current, some pulling east, off the reef. First dive at Capt Mike's, 2nd at Spadefish Point 3rd at Bonnie's. Saw 6-8 small Reef Sharks, a couple of Nurse Sharks. A couple of Hawksbills, 6-8 Loggerheads, 2 Goliath Grouper, a Southern Ray, and the usual reef fish.

An enjoyable day, back to BB tomorrow :)

Day 8 of 12. For a change of pace, I went up to Jupiter today to dive the Friday 3 tanker with JDC. I thought we would be doing Deep Ledge for the 1st dive, unfortunately, that was not the case. To be fair the JDC reservation calendar is not up and you must call for reservations. From many prior visits, I assumed Deep Ledge would be the first dive, but did not ask when I called. As they are running both boats at half load, this is understandable. There were 3 students on board, finishing their AOW. I dived on the Republic IV with Capt. Tom, guide Hannah, and mate Ryan.

The day started with light sprinkles and ended with bright sun. Seas were 2-3 feet. I was surprised that the water temp was 76 degrees on all 3 dives. Visibility was about 40 feet. There was a moderate north current, some pulling east, off the reef. First dive at Capt Mike's, 2nd at Spadefish Point 3rd at Bonnie's. Saw 6-8 small Reef Sharks, a couple of Nurse Sharks. A couple of Hawksbills, 6-8 Loggerheads, 2 Goliath Grouper, a Southern Ray, and the usual reef fish.

An enjoyable day, back to BB tomorrow :)
Thanks again for another great report. Much appreciated. That is surprising about the big change in water temp.

Thanks again for another great report. Much appreciated. That is surprising about the big change in water temp.
It is 30 miles north of BB. I've had similar temperatures fluctuations previously. It was 77-79 in BB yesterday.

If I knew it was going to be 76, I would have worn my 5 mm

It is 30 miles north of BB. I've had similar temperatures fluctuations previously. It was 77-79 in BB yesterday.

If I knew it was going to be 76, I would have worn my 5 mm
I started putting my stuff together for my upcoming Florida trip this morning. Your reports have been super helpful. I am going to bring my 5mm Henderson and my neutrally buoyant Lavacore pants and long sleeve top (which by my experience, provide me about 2.5 to 3mm of thermal insulation).

Interesting that the water temps have varied between 76 and 82. For me, 76 would be my 5 mm with my hooded vest. 82 would be my 3mm without the hooded vest. The key is being flexible. As I only had my 3 mm and hooded vest today, I added my 3 mm gloves to dive 2 and 3. It helped keep my warm. I don't usually dive gloves except for wrecks or cold water.

Interesting that the water temps have varied between 76 and 82. For me, 76 would be my 5 mm with my hooded vest. 82 would be my 3mm without the hooded vest. The key is being flexible. As I only had my 3 mm and hooded vest today, I added my 3 mm gloves to dive 2 and 3. It helped keep my warm. I don't usually dive gloves except for wrecks or cold water.
I have realized that we both share a similar water temp tolerance-comfort.

A couple of photos from today, one of the few times I've taken my camera.

upload_2020-6-12_19-24-51.png

upload_2020-6-12_19-25-25.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom