Trip Report Back in the high life again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 5 of 12. What a difference another day makes. It was a beautiful day with calm seas. We headed down to Delray with Capt Jim and Mate Josh from Loggerhead.

First dive was at Delray Ledges. I took my camera today because the vis was so spectacular yesterday. I guess that jinxed it. The vis had dropped back down to a green, cloudy 30 feet or so. There was essentially no current, water temp 81 degrees. It was a very relaxing dive, nothing spectacular but many, many huge schools of grunt as is common in Delray.

The second dive is often one of my favorites, starting outside at the southern end of Boynton Reef at 007. The vis started out a little better than in Delray with a mild to moderate current pulling east. The current increased rapidly, making it difficult to stay on the reef and bringing dirty green water from inside. I knew it was really odd when an instructor and his student, doing OW dive #4, came past in front of me on the outside reef at nearly 80 feet. I gave up on the outside reef and headed west toward the inside. That is usually a leisurely 5-10 minute swim. Today it was 15-20 minutes of strenuous swimming to make the inside reef at Clubhouse. Once I made the inside reef, the current lessened and I finished the dive with vis of 20-30 feet and 81 degree water. Again, nothing spectacular, a couple of Loggerhead, a Nurse Shark, all the usual reef fish.

Back on the boat, turned out the instructor and his student had been pulled across the reef from the inside by the current and bailed while they were being pulled out to sea. Today was a good day to remind one that the sea can serve up many surprises and that you need to be prepared for circumstances very different than you might have expected.

Tomorrow is another day :)

Day 5 of 12. What a difference another day makes. It was a beautiful day with calm seas. We headed down to Delray with Capt Jim and Mate Josh from Loggerhead.

First dive was at Delray Ledges. I took my camera today because the vis was so spectacular yesterday. I guess that jinxed it. The vis had dropped back down to a green, cloudy 30 feet or so. There was essentially no current, water temp 81 degrees. It was a very relaxing dive, nothing spectacular but many, many huge schools of grunt as is common in Delray.

The second dive is often one of my favorites, starting outside at the southern end of Boynton Reef at 007. The vis started out a little better than in Delray with a mild to moderate current pulling east. The current increased rapidly, making it difficult to stay on the reef and bringing dirty green water from inside. I knew it was really odd when an instructor and his student, doing OW dive #4, came past in front of me on the outside reef at nearly 80 feet. I gave up on the outside reef and headed west toward the inside. That swim is usually a leisurely 5-10 minute swim. Today it was 15-20 minutes of strenuous swimming to make the inside reef at Clubhouse. Once I made the inside reef, the current lessened and I finished the dive with vis of 20-30 feet and 81 degree water. Again, nothing spectacular, a couple of Loggerhead, a Nurse Shark, all the usual reef fish.

Back on the boat, turned out the instructor and his student has been pulled across the reef from the inside by the current and bailed while they were being pulled out to sea. Today was a good day to remind one that the sea can serve up many surprises and that you need to be prepared for circumstances very different than you might have expected.

Tomorrow is another day :)
You had me worried I wasn't going to get my daily report today :wink:
Thanks for posting and wow- what a difference a day makes indeed!

Day 6 of 12. What a difference a day makes again. Out on Loggerhead in Boynton Beach with Capt Jim and Mate Josh. Beautiful sunny day though there were some thunderclouds with a couple of waterspouts to the east at one point, never intersected with us. The ocean was glassy with a few ripples. Visibility today was back up to 60 feet, even a little better on the outside reef. There was a mild to moderate north current, water temp was 79 degrees.

First dive was at Catacombs in Delray, very relaxing drift on the inside reef. Second dive was at a favorite Boynton outside reef site, Green Roof, and ended inside at Lynn's Reef and Castle Ledge. Suspects identified today include several Loggerheads, several Nurse Sharks, a large Southern Stingray, and two Lemon Sharks. All the usual reef fish were out frolicking. A huge Green Moray peeking out of the reef with a gorgeous little juvenile Spotted Drum swimming back and forth in front of it would have made a great photo, if only I had taken my camera today. Yesterday discouraged me from carrying it around. The second dive ended with a large Scorpion fish leisurely swimming ahead with its beautiful pectoral fins in full display.

Today was fantastic. See you tomorrow :)

Day 6 of 12. What a difference a day makes again. Out on Loggerhead in Boynton Beach with Capt Jim and Mate Josh. Beautiful sunny day though there were some thunderclouds with a couple of waterspouts to the east at one point, never intersected with us. The ocean was glassy with a few ripples. Visibility today was back up to 60 feet, even a little better on the outside reef. There was a mild to moderate north current, water temp was 79 degrees.

First dive was at Catacombs in Delray, very relaxing drift on the inside reef. Second dive was at a favorite Boynton outside reef site, Green Roof, and ended inside at Lynn's Reef and Castle Ledge. Suspects identified today include several Loggerheads, several Nurse Sharks, a large Southern Stingray, and two Lemon Sharks. All the usual reef fish were out frolicking. A huge Green Moray peeking out of the reef with a gorgeous little juvenile Spotted Drum swimming back and forth in front of it would have made a great photo, if only I had taken my camera today. Yesterday discouraged me from carrying it around. The second dive ended with a large Scorpion fish leisurely swimming ahead with its beautiful pectoral fins in full display.

Today was fantastic. See you tomorrow :)
Excellent!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom