Trip Report Back in Florida, 2022 #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I flew down from Philadelphia yesterday. The Philadelphia airport was pretty busy considering it was mid-morning, mid-week. I would say only 15-20% of people were wearing masks in the airport or on the plane. The West Palm airport was uncrowded. Picked up my car at National and headed home. I don't think any customer but me was wearing a mask in Winn Dixie for my one shopping trip.

Dive Day 1, July 7

I did 2 tanks with Jupiter Dive Center, Capt Ryan, Guide David, Mate Brandon. I had planned on 4 dives but they cancelled the afternoon on Tues, as I was the only one signed up. Seas were around 2 feet, very warm and sunny. I was told that they had a thermocline down to 74 degrees on Tues, so wore my 3 mm and hooded vest. The water temp turned out to be 84-5 degrees top to bottom on both dives. I ditched my hooded vest for the second dive and was much better. Visibility was not great, mostly about 30 feet, particulate and floating red algae in the water. Sadly, there is still red algae on the reefs. Current was moderate to brisk north on both dives.

First dive was at Area 51. One Loggerhead and one Goliath Grouper, along with usual reef fish. Second dive started at Lighthouse and went into Loggerhead. The second dive was much more active, a couple of Nurse Sharks, several Reef Sharks, 3 Goliath Grouper and more Loggerhead turtles than I could count. They were everywhere, sleeping and swimming. There was also a gigantic school of Horse-Eye Jacks and a nearly endless river of Creole Wrasse, in addition to all the usual reef fish.

I went out with JDC a few weeks ago and funny enough, sounds like the exact same plan and conditions. First dive at Area 51, then second started at end of lighthouse into loggerhead - same pattern too, much more active on loggerhead. I didnt get to see any nurse sharks though!

Glad you are back in Florida diving and looking forward to the reports, Craig. How long are you planning to stay?

...Second dive started at Lighthouse and went into Loggerhead.
Let us know if you happen to observe a large quantity of antenna's on a named reef.
As in " WOW-that's alot of bugs! "

Let us know if you happen to observe a large quantity of antenna's on a named reef.
As in " WOW-that's alot of bugs! "
So far, no, sorry. I will keep my lobster antennas on. No lobster inside reef Boynton today

Dive day 2, July 8

So, this was a strange diving day. We were scheduled for the Castor. After the mate, who swam down the ball, it was decided that the current was too brisk to dive.

We ended up doing two inside reef dives, Clubhouse and Lynn's Reef/Castle Ledge. Curent was moderate north. Water temp was 85 degrees, visibility about 40 feet. The Boynton Reefs have much less red algae than Jupiter. Nice dives, nothing outstanding. A couple of Nurse Sharks, several Loggerhead Turtles. all the usual reef fish, a nice school of Spadefish.

Dive day 3 July 9

Boy, am I tired. Did 4 dives with Starfish out of Boynton. Capt Chris and Mody in the morning, Capt Alex and Mody in the afternoon. Brisk current today, especially on the outside. Water temp 84-5, visibility 30-50 ft. Seas were 2-3, wind picked up in the afternoon.

1st dive was outside of Clubhouse, crossover to Gulfstream. 2nd dive was inside at Lynn's Reef and Castle Ledge. 3rd dive was outside at Clubhouse, crossover to Black Condo. Last dive was outside at Sharkie's Ledge, long crossover to Briney Breezes. Nothing very spectacular, a large Lemon Shark at the end of the 2nd dive. Several nice Loggerheads, a couple very large. A couple of Nurse Sharks. All the usual reef fish. By this I mean Banded, Reef, 4 eyed and Spotfin Butterefly fish, Whitespotted, Scrawled, and Yellow Filefish, Queen, French, Gray, and Blue Angelfish, Porcupine fish, Spotted Drums, High Hats. Trumpfish, Cornetfish, Lobster, Green Morays, Spotted Morays, all the Parrotfish including Midnight, Blue and Rainbow and schools of Spadefish, Bermuda Chub, and all the Grunt. Sure I am missing a few.

A great dive day.

You have a good memory. I have to look at the pictures / video clips to be able to recall what I have seen during the dive.

Enjoy the rest of Florida diving. I’m in Singapore, on my way to Bali, then Komodo & Sangalaki.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom