Trip Report Back in Florida, 2022 #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes you take it for granted, I usually do not
I'm glad. When we first start diving (I'll use Caribbean diving for common reference), sergeant majors, squirrel fish, French grunts, small mouth grunts, trumpet fish, blue chromis, quite a range of things are an appreciated part of the scenery (the frame of reference at that point may be bluegill back in some inland freshwater dive quarry). Then, after awhile...it's easy to sort of screen them out.

Dive day 4, July 10

So I had planned four dives out of Boynton with Loggerhead. Unfortunately, the AM dive got cancelled yesterday afternoon due to lack of participation. The good news in that the afternoon dives were phenomenal.

The first dive was outside at Clubhouse with a crossover to Black Condo. There was virtually no current outside, alllowing easy swimming up and down the fingers. It was a little cooler at 82-3 degrees, very refreshing. Visibility was 50-60 feet. A couple of Loggerhead on the outside, the inside was absolutely packed with fish.

The second dive was north at Castle Ledge and Table Tops. Current was more brisk north and visibility was down to about 30 feet. However, paid dividends with a couple of large Lemon Sharks and 3 Loggerheads in addition to all the usual reef fish.

Where are you staying for your trip?

Nice, was hoping for hotel recommendation, but your setup is better.

Dive day 5, July 11

Wow!

I did two dives with Starfish out of Boynton Marina with Capt Alex B and deckhand Mody. I had the pleasure of diving with my friend @Johnoly He brought fried blueberry pancake coated sausages for the surface interval between dives :) and I have a witness for the observations from today, quite rare. Mody did a short dive during our surface interval and came back with a great Black Grouper, made his trip.

It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm, light wind, seas less than 2 ft. Water temp was 84-85 degrees, visibility was mostly 30-40 ft.

Our 1st dive was outside at Clubhouse with a crossover to Gulf Stream and Black Condo. The current was ripping north. Not long after making the eastern side of the reef, we saw a large Great Hammerhead, I would guess 10-11 feet. This is just the 4th Great Hammerhead I've seen in Boynton in 13 years. We encountered a nice Loggerhead turtle and all of the usual reef fish. We covered a lot of ground. I had the flag on the 1st dive, burned the most gas on a dive in a long time. I barely made the hour dive with my AL80.

The 2nd dive was inside at Briny Breezes. Current was rapidly changing, sometimes brisk, occasionally nearly nothing. Capt Alex dropped us right on top of a very, very big Eagle Ray. The Eagle Ray did three leisurely circles around us before disappearing. This is only the second Eagle Ray I have seen while diving in Boynton Beach. We frequently see smaller Eagle Rays from the boat in the inlet when we are going out or coming back in. We saw several nice Nurse Sharks and all of the usual reef fish.

This was probably one of the best dive days I have had in SE FL. You go down, you look around, you never know what you are going to see :)

Wow!
and I have a witness for the observations from today,
Just got back home and dumped the camera drives

You gotta love SCUBABOARD !! Just jump on a dive boat with @scubadada and off we go in Boynton to see a 10 foot hammerhead and massive Spotted Eagle Ray. Dirty 30-40ft viz and I suck at photography. But I still captured the proof and if you Ain't got a picture,,,,well you know what they say....
So many Thanks to Scubadada and Capt Alex on Starfish. WoW, we had a fun day !!

Current was 3 knot and we were flying the opposite direction the hammer was going.
Squeeze off this long range shot and cropped it,,,,but I got the proof !!

Hammer-Boynton.JPG

And the Spotted Eagle Ray I got on my tiny AKASO video camera. { 30 seconds }

And lastly the Dock Picture L>R.......Scubadada / Capt Alex B / Johnoly

20220711_134234.jpg

Want to join us next time,,,It's not a club>>Everyone's Invited !!!
Click the invite Here>

I believe that sometimes people think I exaggerate when describing Boynton Beach. Jupiter and West Palm are so much better known. There are good reasons I bought my townhouse there and good reasons I have nearly 1000 dives there since 2009. I usually dive by myself, what a pleasure sharing it with @Johnoly today. Absolutely fantastic dives. Capt Alex knows Boynton Beach better than anyone, as a diver and as a captain.

Just got back home and dumped the camera drives

You gotta love SCUBABOARD !! Just jump on a dive boat with @scubadada and off we go in Boynton to see a 10 foot hammerhead and massive Spotted Eagle Ray. Dirty 30-40ft viz and I suck at photography. But I still captured the proof and if you Ain't got a picture,,,,well you know what they say....
So many Thanks to Scubadada and Capt Alex on Starfish. WoW, we had a fun day !!

Current was 3 knot and we were flying the opposite direction the hammer was going.
Squeeze off this long range shot and cropped it,,,,but I got the proof !!

View attachment 732828

And the Spotted Eagle Ray I got on my tiny AKASO video camera. { 30 seconds }

And lastly the Dock Picture L>R.......Scubadada / Capt Alex B / Johnoly

View attachment 732829

Want to join us next time,,,It's not a club>>Everyone's Invited !!!
Click the invite Here>
Saw that HH on Sunday a little further south of your dive.... he came up off the sand and up the ledge and right at us with the pic fins down.... had a pretty aggressive posture.... turned away about 15 ft from me. He circled around for a few more minutes and went on his way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom