avg water temps w/7MM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many variables....

But I dive a Pinnacle Elite 7mm. I've been comfortable in that suit down to 41 degree water temps, with 6mm mits and a hood. Two dives, one hour surface interval, air temp about 70. I wouldn't say I was toasty, but comfortable.

Then again, I'm a furnace. Usually don't start wearing a jacket/coat until temps get into the 40's in Minnesota.

The key to keeping warm in iffy conditions is to wear good boots. You would be suprised at the temps you can dive in when you wear non zipper boots and good socks. I dive all winter now in a lined, semi-dry 7mm. It is fine in temp's above 50 but only if I wear good boots. If I have to wear my normal zipper boots I freeze in a few minutes.

regul8r:
Interesting thoughts... From all. Thinking that surface temps will be in the mid to lower 60's with the thermo dropping into the 40's.. so with the 7MM and a 5/3 hood.. 5MM gloves.. I should be okay....

You are well within the realm of posibility. Time at depth, the actual depth (suit compression) and your cold tolerance are all wild cards but I would not stay home. Wearing a neoprene beanie under the 5mm hood may also be worthshile if needed.

Anything below 60 degrees in the water and I dive dry. Anything below 70 degrees air temp that requires 7mm and I dive dry. Typically, I'll dive wet through the summer months and dry during the winter months.

regul8r:
On avg what would you folks think would be the tolerable temp range (in F) of a 7MM suit?

A lot also depends on what water temps you are used to diving. Spring diving at 72 degrees is cold for this Florida diver. I used a dry suit on my last trip where
the water was 68 degrees and got cold after about 2 1/2 hours in the water and
had to get out to warm up.

I have 3 sets of exposure protection:

1. Swim trunks (will be replaced by a dive skin b4 my next trip).
2. 3 mm full wetsuit.
3. DRY suit with hood and gloves.

If it is too cold to dive a 3 mm suit, it is time to don the dry suit. I have had enough of being cold. I even sold my 7 mm suit. If the drysuit is out of order, I ain't diving. 27 minutes at 110 feet in 58 degree water is just silly in a wetsuit for ME.

DivingCRNA:
I have 3 sets of exposure protection:

1. Swim trunks (will be replaced by a dive skin b4 my next trip).
2. 3 mm full wetsuit.
3. DRY suit with hood and gloves.

If it is too cold to dive a 3 mm suit, it is time to don the dry suit. I have had enough of being cold. I even sold my 7 mm suit. If the drysuit is out of order, I ain't diving. 27 minutes at 110 feet in 58 degree water is just silly in a wetsuit for ME.
Amen.

I will wear a 5mm jacket but anything colder and the dry suit comes out.

dry would be nice. but unfortunatly I don't own a dry suit as of yet. Next year I will get dry suit certified and probably purchase one.. but for now the 7MM has to do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom