Too warm, or not warm enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I can do is to rent a 5mm from the liveaboard, in which case maybe I'd only bring the 7mm in case I was too cold.

So far, this thread has told me:

5xbring both 3mm and 7mm
2xbring the 7mm
1xbring the 3mm and the shorty
3xbuy a 5mm and a hooded vest

I wont have time to buy anything at this point, so the last option is out.

Unfortunately, i'm already at my baggage weight limit, so bringing both the 3mm and the 7mm is going to cost me about $150 in extra baggage fees.

The point of the 7mm shorty is to wear it OVER another suit. I've worn it over my 7mm full in order to get 14mm. Yes, that is where dry suit would be betbetter.
Yeah i used to have a 7mm farmer john with 7mm jacket. Fairly restrictive but definitely warm.

I think renting the 5mm is the smart move.

Check to see if you can buy a 3/5mm hooded vest either when you arrive, or at a shop sometime between now and then. The 3/5 vest comes in very handy, as it's a really good add-on for those in-between situations. I get a lot of use out of mine. I even use it under a 3/2mm full suit on really warm trips for night dives or when I start to get cold on the 4th dive of the day.

I’d bring the 7mm. Whatever you rent on the boat may not really have the full exposure protection it did as new. If it used to be a 5mm, after hundreds of dives it might provide the protection of a 3mm. My advice is to take your own gear and be ready to let water in to cool off. The downsides to a 7mm is carrying extra weight and it can make it more difficult to move if it’s a newer suit. But if you’re cold you’ll be regretting not having it. Also, I’d bring two sets of pants and rash guards so you have something dry to put on for each dive (they dry fast). When we were in Puerto Galera in the spring the water temps hovered around 78 degrees. I get chilly easily, so I was wearing a full 3mil, a 2.5mil jacket and a 3/5 bibbed hood. I wish I’d had my 5mil but probably ended up with about as much thermal protection. That hood saved my bacon.

I'd buy a cheap 3mm shorty and layer it with the 3mm full if needed. A hooded vest would work too, but I really dislike hoods and occasional 75F isn't cold enough to force me to wear one.

I think you are doing it right. I just can't see 7mm being good in water that warm A good 5mm has taken me from 60 degree california water to I don't need any suit at all warm.

The question is if you can get a GOOD 5mm fit off the boat rental? Huge difference between a good fitting suit and a poor fitting suit.

I think renting the 5mm is the smart move.

Check to see if you can buy a 3/5mm hooded vest either when you arrive, or at a shop sometime between now and then. The 3/5 vest comes in very handy, as it's a really good add-on for those in-between situations. I get a lot of use out of mine. I even use it under a 3/2mm full suit on really warm trips for night dives or when I start to get cold on the 4th dive of the day.
I've only ever seen 5/3 hooded vests, not 3/5

Back
Top Bottom