Too warm, or not warm enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your full (one-piece) suit has a front zipper, then, if you get too warm during a dive, you can periodically open up the zipper and irrigate with cool(er) water.

However, a two-piece suit (farmer John and shorty) will give you the most (best?) options, I think: Dive using the one piece, or the other piece, or both pieces. If you take a hood, too (or a hooded vest) then all your bases are covered, I think.

Don't forget your booties!

rx7diver

Get a 5mm wetsuit and wear that on all dives

Or

Bring both the 3mm and 7mm and wear the 7mm for the afternoon dives only.

I just dove in the Sea of Cortez, and water temps were in the same range (74-86°F). I had a full 3mm with a 3/5mm hooded vest. I was just barely warm enough. I found myself staying above the worst thermocline at 40 feet and only dipping below that for short periods. I really wished I had brought my 5mm with the hooded vest instead of the 3mm. There were several divers in full 7mm suits on the trip.

My advice is:
  • Buy a hooded vest and rent a 5mm, or
  • Bring your full 7mm and flush it if you get too warm

Keep in mind that, depending on the site, you may need to do a negative entry, so you’ll have to sink all that neoprene quickly.

I see zero reason to take a 7mm in water that warm.
If there is a consideration of a 7mm, I'll be in a drysuit.
Plenty of people do drysuit dives in 80°+ water. Last couple trips there was at least one each time.

A 7mm shorty does not make any sense. Carefully cut the hood off of the 7mm shorty just below the neck seam, and throw the rest of it in a dumpster. Bring the 3mm, the hood, and the 7mm full suit. Wear the 3mm with the hood until you get cold on a dive, and then switch to the 7mm for the rest of the day.

Those temps are like diving in a cup of tea, and with water movement if you feel cold approachng swim faster

can you wear the 7 mm shorty over the 3 mm suit? That might be an excellent solution if you have a separate 3 mm hood you can wear if the water is too warm for the double layers.

The 7mm shorty has a hood built in!

I'd rather be too warm than too cold (aka miserable) and you can always open the collar and cool down in the water, shower on the deck etc.​
I didnt know anyone made a shorty 7mm. If it was cold enough for a 7mm in the torso, i wouldnt want my arms and legs exposed.​
The point of the 7mm shorty is to wear it OVER another suit. I've worn it over my 7mm full in order to get 14mm. Yes, that is where dry suit would be better!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom