Recommend suit for June Sardine Run?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwimberly0510

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, I'm set for what will hopefully be an 🤞epic sardine run trip in June this year. I'm looking for a new suit for the 59°F-71°F water temps I'll be jumping in. I'm typically a little warmer than most divers it seems and the shop recommends a 5mm-7mm plus hood, boots, and gloves. I've been looking at the Scubapro 5mm Definition Steamer suits but would like some recommendations if anyone has something to add before I drop several hundred on a suit?

For 59 deg I'd go with a 7mm with 5mm hood and gloves. As it warms up you can lose the hood and move down to 3mm or no gloves. I liked my Henderson 7mm Aqualock, did pretty well into the upper 50's, although after the third dive of the day I'd start to get chilled.

Also think about surface temps. If surface temps are low you'll want a "boat coat" or such to keep warm.

For 59 deg I'd go with a 7mm with 5mm hood and gloves. As it warms up you can lose the hood and move down to 3mm or no gloves. I liked my Henderson 7mm Aqualock, did pretty well into the upper 50's, although after the third dive of the day I'd start to get chilled.

Also think about surface temps. If surface temps are low you'll want a "boat coat" or such to keep warm.
Thanks for the idea Thunder. I definitely don't want to be getting chilled after 3 days. It'll be 7 dive days.

Thanks for the idea Thunder. I definitely don't want to be getting chilled after 3 days. It'll be 7 dive days.
I’d seriously look into a drysuit for that many days of diving at those temps. There’s some inexpensive options out there. I resisted going dry for some time but since I did it’s been great and I kick myself for not doing so sooner. And a pee valve. Holy heck the pee valve is a game changer.

But if drysuit isn’t an option a hooded vest to wear under or a semi-dry to at least help minimize water flushing through and chilling you.

Apeks ThermiQ Men’s Semi Dry Suit, it's not cheap but it's a nice suit. Considerably warmer and the hood is much more comfortable than the Pinnacle 7mm. But if you're tight on cash the Pinnacle will do you fine at those temps. I suspect the Scubapro's top end semi dri is similar to Apeks in warmth.

I can do a 30 min dive in 45f water fairly comfortably or an indefinitely long dive at 70f. At 70f I might let some water in the neck every once in a while if I'm working hard.

Froze my ass off in a 5mm Pinnacle + hood in 64f water, they told me it was going to be 69f. Spent half of my dive time wishing I brought my Apeks.

I'm pretty middle of the road as far as getting cold goes. I'd also consider diving dry, but not if you're going to be in and out of the suit several times a day or rushed to get dressed when the boat finds the sardines.

Hey guys, I'm set for what will hopefully be an 🤞epic sardine run trip in June this year. I'm looking for a new suit for the 59°F-71°F water temps I'll be jumping in. I'm typically a little warmer than most divers it seems and the shop recommends a 5mm-7mm plus hood, boots, and gloves. I've been looking at the Scubapro 5mm Definition Steamer suits but would like some recommendations if anyone has something to add before I drop several hundred on a suit?
7 mm full suit with a 5/3 mm hooded vest;

Is it diving or snorkel trip? We were in South Africa last year for it and both wore 5mm (mine is old so is effectively 3mm). The coldest part was getting into the suit in the morning so I don't think I would have enjoyed getting into 7mm. I don't remeber getting cold in the water as you're too busy swimming.

Is it diving or snorkel trip? We were in South Africa last year for it and both wore 5mm (mine is old so is effectively 3mm). The coldest part was getting into the suit in the morning so I don't think I would have enjoyed getting into 7mm. I don't remeber getting cold in the water as you're too busy swimming.
Both, we'll be on the boat for most of the day chasing bait balls. If we come upon a stationary ball we'll jump in scuba. Otherwise it'll be snorkeling.

I’d seriously look into a drysuit for that many days of diving at those temps. There’s some inexpensive options out there. I resisted going dry for some time but since I did it’s been great and I kick myself for not doing so sooner. And a pee valve. Holy heck the pee valve is a game changer.

But if drysuit isn’t an option a hooded vest to wear under or a semi-dry to at least help minimize water flushing through and chilling you.
It looks like some of the sardine run shops recommend against dry suits for this type of trip for some reason so I'm leaning towards a 7mm semi-dry and a separate hooded vest combo but I can imagine a drysuit with a pee valve is a game changer!

Without pee valve, drysuit is not very useful, you will be whole day - or long hours- on the rib, you can't doff/don a drysuit easily, seas can be very rough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom