Aussie Diving July 1-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler reef is a wonderfull place to take snorkler friends...very heathy thick huge range of healthy hard coral.

Davies reef nth end was a fun dive... glad there was no current... missed the boat by 300me!!

Yep ... great pics everyone ... going to have to make an effort to get to ningaloo when the economy picks up Gudge and Alcina make it look and sound Awesome!!!!!!!!

2nd best city eh ... wonder what number 1 is????? :wink:

If I am very good will you let me come too?:D

Great shot... what kind of camera and lens are you using? Where was the shot taken?

Great shot... what kind of camera and lens are you using? Where was the shot taken?[/QUOTE]
THZ for the compliment.
Wheeler reef has as good a coral garden as i've seen any where on the GBR. 50nm NE of townsville. Its also about the only reef that the local dive charter boat goes to, so no damage done, & it's excessible to everyone .
i've got a nikon d90 and a fisheye 10-17mm ..i'll get a macro 60mm in a few months. the set ups new so because i love coral scenes i figured it was a good lens to start with...... i,ll get a 60mm in a few months. Don't want to confuse myself at the moment, eh!
CHEERS ROB

Roby, just awesome pictures! Looks like awesome diving/snorkelling :]

I am just back from a dive on the Sorrento backbeaches. This was the forecast today:

Winds: Northerly 30 to 40 knots decreasing to 20 to 30 knots early this evening. Seas: Up to 3 metres decreasing to 2 metres later in the evening.

Despite this, we had calm water on the backbeaches (they were protected from the northerly winds] and had 20m of viz! :shocked2: Didn't see much life around apart from wrasse, leatherjackets and crayfish but the landscape and kelp trees were awesome. I have pictures to go through still so will post some later :) The surge started to pick up towards the end of our dive and got to the stage where it was pushing us 3m forward and then backward so we decided not to do a second dive. The front beaches were not in good shape and the beach at Portsea had eroded a fair bit, with damage to the pier it appears as they had signs up and there were holes in the pier.

Kelp trees!!! Ohhh, not very jealous!
I was wondering if you guys still went today.

Yea, just one dive though :( Tempted to go for an afternoon dive close to home tomorrow...

Ok here are some photos :)

CUTE puffer :)
3709627638_2bc07e0f16.jpg

Michael in the distance
3708813621_90358d69c8.jpg

I was bitten many times by this scalyfin to get this shot
3708813281_fcf1504796.jpg

Kelp trees for Anthony (my camera doesn't do so good at these shots :()
3708814115_b7d6b74484.jpg

Also here is a photo of Portsea Pier (more for the locals). The beach has eroded away and there is damage to the pier. Front beaches did not look good for a dive, bad viz!
3709628586_621aa4a227.jpg

Its funny because I've always told everyone that "I never get seasick", well yesterday I've proven myself wrong :)

We did a double boat dive at Long Reef yesterday and I guess it was just a bit too rocky for me. The dive itself was pretty good, saw my first Port Jackson shark.

Sas, What size wetsuit do you wear? I wear a 5mm and the water was 16 and I found it a little cold. After reading your posts of 9c I figure you must be wearing something pretty thick or much tougher than me :)

Sas, that Puffer fish shot is the best!! I love Puffer fish, they always wear a smile :D

Yea they are one of my favourite critters to see. There are always lots of them around luckily :]

Its funny because I've always told everyone that "I never get seasick", well yesterday I've proven myself wrong :)

We did a double boat dive at Long Reef yesterday and I guess it was just a bit too rocky for me. The dive itself was pretty good, saw my first Port Jackson shark.

Sas, What size wetsuit do you wear? I wear a 5mm and the water was 16 and I found it a little cold. After reading your posts of 9c I figure you must be wearing something pretty thick or much tougher than me :)

Cool to hear you saw your first PJ shark :]

I have a 7mm wetsuit but in winter I tend to wear my drysuit when it gets below 15C. 9C in my wetsuit was tough and I hope not to have to wear it again over winter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom