Aussie Diving - 1 to 15 October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello

A new month for diving and the water is getting warmer so hopefully more people will be out diving :)

I got out last weekend both days but one was in the pool so it doesn't count :p

I was joined by regular buddies Michael and burna and the first dive was at Portsea and it was quite rough - strong surge - but I didn't mind it too much. Then we went to Mordialloc pier for a dusk dive and the conditions were quite calm there. Viz was about 6m on both dives and I really didn't see a lot! But Michael + Anthony collected heaps of lead and coins, and I bagged an iPhone :) During our SI we got to see the Canberra being towed out to see for the sinking!

Colourful sponges
3979243503_f481ccffcf.jpg

Michael + burna's lead collection - the surge uncovered a lot! Michael is going to turn his vast collecting into dive weights this weekend :)
3980005012_8ba3ec2915.jpg

Canberra being towed out to sea
3979244629_c2f5c87478.jpg

Then on Sunday I went to the pool with the club to try out different types of gear. I got to try sidemounts + twin 12s. Planning to do cavern in twin 12s now, though the sidemounts were more comfortable underwater :) Michael tried out some of my gear and also twin 7s but he hated the twin 7s (as do I!)

Michael trying out my BP/W. He is going to get one very soon I think and has been trying to convince me I don't need mine in the mean time :wink:
3980007822_62bc2cc6f5.jpg

Me checking out sidemounts
3980009566_de452a9ae7.jpg

Cool! Looking forward to checking out your vids fredarooney (Youtube is blocked at work so will wait until I get home :))

Ok cool videos! The groper trying to take a bite was scary :p

Ok cool videos! The groper trying to take a bite was scary :p

Heh, good old Harry is always there and I cant remember a dive at Shelly without seeing him.

I was testing a Fuji F200EXR on Monday and got some decent videos and pics. Good camera and quite a bit better than my Fuji Z100fd. I want a new camera and was looking at the Canon G11 but I also want HD video...decisions..decisions..

Got a really good video of a cuttlefish where it came right up to me and almost touched the camera! I'll upload it tomorrow.

Heh, good old Harry is always there and I cant remember a dive at Shelly without seeing him.

I was testing a Fuji F200EXR on Monday and got some decent videos and pics. Good camera and quite a bit better than my Fuji Z100fd. I want a new camera and was looking at the Canon G11 but I also want HD video...decisions..decisions..

Got a really good video of a cuttlefish where it came right up to me and almost touched the camera! I'll upload it tomorrow.

What about Panasonic FX48? I used that in Fiji and it had an excellent underwater mode (but no macro avail in this mode) and also HD video. Fast lens f2.8 too. That's about all I know about it but I liked it a lot! I am looking at Canon S90 or maybe the FX48...

There is a groper named after me at Bare Island now - Sas! :rofl3: He followed me around for a dive so he got dubbed Sas and petunia fills me in on how he is going :)

What about Panasonic FX48? I used that in Fiji and it had an excellent underwater mode (but no macro avail in this mode) and also HD video. Fast lens f2.8 too. That's about all I know about it but I liked it a lot! I am looking at Canon S90 or maybe the FX48...

There is a groper named after me at Bare Island now - Sas! :rofl3: He followed me around for a dive so he got dubbed Sas and petunia fills me in on how he is going :)

I was really wanting something with at least 2 manual presets so thats why the G11 looked good but no HD video. Would be great if someone hacked it to do HD. The S90 looks good too and a faster lens(f2.0) than the G11 and both do RAW.

lol you can NEVER seem to find one camera that does it all!!!

Michael + burna's lead collection - the surge uncovered a lot! Michael is going to turn his vast collecting into dive weights this weekend :)
3980005012_8ba3ec2915.jpg

Ha! I thought I was going gangbusters collecting that lead until I bumped into Michael and he had a catch bag so full he could barely carry it.

Was the same with the golf balls, I found 13, he found 23!

I have a ways to go before I can challenge the Master Fossicker.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom