Atomic users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's really no such thing as an old Atomic regulator. All their regulators have identical design and have remained unchanged since shortly after introduction when there was a minor change to the first stage. I'm not saying Atomics are the best, but they are certainly among the top SCUBA regulators available.

There's really no such thing as an old Atomic regulator. All their regulators have identical design and have remained unchanged since shortly after introduction when there was a minor change to the first stage. I'm not saying Atomics are the best, but they are certainly among the top SCUBA regulators available.
I thought that to be the case about old vs new Atomics, but didn't want to say so for fear someone would correct me aggressively. I was told years ago that the two guys who originally started Atomic copied their design from ScubaPro where they worked. True? False?

My 20 year old ScubaPro reg is a MK25 with S600 second. I don't think there is much that really counts that is different today.

And by the way, I own 3 Atomic B's and several Scubapro 25's, and they are all service intensive compared to my diaphragm firsts.
Service intensive in what way? I’ve had a sealed T3/B2 octo setup for 7 years with zero issues. It’s only in for it’s second service right now (T3 has a 3 year/300 dive service interval) and not because it has any issues - just proactive, on-schedule service.

Where in PA are you? I'd strongly recommend going to find John at Northeast Scuba Supply if you are anywhere near the Philly area. I would also strongly against Atomic if you're doing primarily ocean diving, they're annoying to keep salt out of on those long boat rides. Sealed diaphragms will be much better or you.

Tbone you usually give really good advise but I am going to call BS. While the vast majority of piston regulators are unseal thus the piston is exposed to salt water while submerged. And while salt spray can also infiltrate while on "those long boat rides" it is not an issue because it will redissolve readily once in the water. If it does not that is an issue with proper maintenance - namely rinsing a reg so that salt and other mineral deposits do not build up. That really goes for any regulator piston or diaphragm.

Service intensive in what way? I’ve had a sealed T3/B2 octo setup for 7 years with zero issues. It’s only in for it’s second service right now (T3 has a 3 year/300 dive service interval) and not because it has any issues - just proactive, on-schedule service.

The only part of servicing a piston regulator that is PITA is adjusting the IP as one needs to use shims (varying the number and/or thickness). It is not so bad with an unsealed reg but a sealed one can be a mess - but one learns to adjust the IP before sealing it. Whereas on a diaphragm is it a matter of few turns to dial it in.

I thought that to be the case about old vs new Atomics, but didn't want to say so for fear someone would correct me aggressively. I was told years ago that the two guys who originally started Atomic copied their design from ScubaPro where they worked. True? False?

My 20 year old ScubaPro reg is a MK25 with S600 second. I don't think there is much that really counts that is different today.

Dean Garraffa and Doug Toth were engineers for ScubaPro. They wanted to make Ti regulators. ScubaPro did not. So they formed their own company. That was ~25 years ago. At the time piston regulators and the associated patents on the basic components were long expired.

I agree that a sealed Atomic will be trouble free, they really are a well built regulator. But sealing them is more expense if you get it done professionally, or more trouble if you do it yourself. My piston regs tend to get tiny leaks around the piston o-ring, even when sitting in air conditioned storage. While not life-threatening, it is a sign of a poorly maintained reg and can be annoying on a dive. I soak my regs in rainwater after every use and i still get this problem. My DiveRite sealed diaphragms are over 20 years, and several thousand dives, old, and never give me a problem. The same could be said for my Apeks deco regs.

Agree but I have to know more about the differences before I choose
I regularly use both a piston 1st and diaphragm 1st. The piston is not mine, but belongs to the aquarium I volunteer at. The diaphragm is mine.

The piston regs are Atomic B2. The diaphragm is a Zeagle Flathead 7. The Zeagle is sealed, the Atomic is not. Apart from the Atomic having an automatic Venturi, and the Zeagle having a Venturi switch, they both breathe great. The Zeagle being sealed is easier at cleanup time, and keeps saltwater away from the moving parts.

Technically, a piston can flow more gas than a diaphragm, but either will flow significantly more than a diver (or divers) could use.

The topic on diaphragm vs piston is nothing new and will continuous to be raised again and again!!!
It is the toss between Atomic and SP for the OP and he came here for advice/suggestion. And what did he get so far? None the wiser.
Buying is relative easy but the after sale service is rather difficult to predict/visualize.

Happy shopping.

The topic on diaphragm vs piston is nothing new and will continuous to be raised again and again!!!
It is the toss between Atomic and SP for the OP and he came here for advice/suggestion. And what did he get so far? None the wiser.
Buying is relative easy but the after sale service is rather difficult to predict/visualize.

Happy shopping.
Any common brand regulator should be easy to get serviced. I have only owned atomic and mares but plenty of places for service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom