Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If i remember correctly you can do a custom order and get a z2 with a b2 first stage

I just looked through the dealer catalog. I suspect what you said is the easiest way to get a Z2 with a swivel turret. The Atomic website lists the Z2 1st stage as having an option for a swivel turret. After looking at the dealer catalog, I suspect what that means is that you can order a Z2 and the swivel turret parts from a B2 (or whatever) and install the swivel turret to replace the stock, fixed Z2 turret. It doesn't look like there is a way to just order the Z2 1st stage already made up with a swivel.

And with the price of parts and labor to install, it's probably cheaper to just get a B2 1st.

All the 1st and 2nd stages are available to order individually. So, you could order a Z2 2nd stage with any other 1st stage. And vice versa. But, there is definitely a price break on ordering a set. E.g. ordering a Z2 1st and 2nd together, versus an individual Z2 first and individual Z2 second. A Z2 set is $440. Ordering the 2 parts individually, the total would be $600. In other words, even though you can order the 1st and 2nd stages individually to mix and match, you will pay a premium to do so....

The spring takes a beating on sealed regs too, although I haven't had that problem in a number of years.

The spring in the ambient chamber on the 1st stage? Why does being sealed make the spring take a beating?

Does this mean that an unsealed 1st would actually be more long-term reliable (other than being more likely to freeze)?

The spring in the ambient chamber on the 1st stage? Why does being sealed make the spring take a beating?

Does this mean that an unsealed 1st would actually be more long-term reliable (other than being more likely to freeze)?
I had water sitting in the ambient chamber of my first sealed titanium, against the spring. The spring broke, in fact, I've had 2 Atomic springs break. Guess how the only way a first stage can fail and not give you air?

Mine are sealed. I dive a lot of silt. If I were diving in warm clear water, I wouldn't seal them, but IIRC, maybe someone can prod my memory, Atomic got a bad batch of springs that corroded. Ever since I got a few replacements, I haven't had a problem.

Do you need a spare spring? I'd love to get rid of some of mine.....

Mine are sealed. I dive a lot of silt. If I were diving in warm clear water, I wouldn't seal them, but IIRC, maybe someone can prod my memory, Atomic got a bad batch of springs that corroded. Ever since I got a few replacements, I haven't had a problem.

Do you need a spare spring? I'd love to get rid of some of mine.....

LOL Thanks for the offer and the info. I don't even own an Atomic reg yet, so....

I expect most of my use of them when I do get them will be in my local quarry, so I'm going to order sealed. Since they're purely for single-tank use, less expensive and better corrosion resistance, I think I will just go for the Z2 setup. I have plenty of regs that are O2 compatible already. I just can't see spending extra just to have Atomic regs that are also. Not for use in a single-tank setup. Thanks for the insight on the corrosion issue. I'll definitely feel better about loaning them to friends for saltwater use.

I use a ScubaPro Mk25 EVO now. It has a swivel turret. I don't get any value from that on a single tank setup. I DO use the bottom port. Most regs that I've seen don't have a bottom port unless they also have a swivel turret. But, the Atomic Z2/3 has a bottom port, even though it doesn't have a swivel turret. So, the Z2 would work fine for me (on a single tank setup - I definitely want a swivel turret on any reg I use on doubles).

I have let "the boat crew" hold onto my BCD and my wetsuit a couple of times, because it was REALLY convenient versus the alternatives. But, I have NEVER let anyone else hold onto my regs, rinse my regs, put my regs on a tank, or swap my regs from one tank to another. You can call me paranoid, if you want, but it has just never been enough of a burden to take care of my own regs to even consider letting someone else do it.

Not paranoid and completely understandable, it just doesn't work for me for most of the diving I do. I did it for a while and, again, for me and the diving I usually do, it was just not working out. If my current reg breathes less nicely than the Atomic, I can't notice it and I don't get upset if someone puts my reg in a rinse tub or something. I still try to minimize other people messing with my gear, but am much more relaxed about the whole thing. That doesn't invalidate your feelings in any way.

The degree to which this matters is highly dependent on the type of diving one does. If you are one of those who never lets anyone "touch" your reg and are willing to follow the prescribed routine then it isn't much of a problem, especially in fresh water. If your style of diving means dive ops and boat crew and others may rinse your gear or mess with it much, then this can become an issue, especially if you dive salt water. I finally gave up on Atomic regs for that reason and I know at least a few people who share my experience that the only regs they have had water intrusion issues with are Atomic and I know a reg tech who has told me he sees far corroded Atomic regs than other brands. That isn't a slam to Atomic, it is just a byproduct of their design, and one that causes issues for some people in some situations. The Atomic regs are very nice, but I can get the same performance from other regs that don't require as much TLC.

I have the Z2 and dive with the same ops most of the time. They know not to turn off my tank when I come up from a dive, and never to touch my reg (or any of my equipment for that matter). I rinse it pressurized on the boat, always keep the first above the second until reasonably dry, and then every week or two soak it under pressure for a while. I had it rebuilt last week (scarred piston replaced under warranty) and no corrosion found after 60 dives since last service, so I guess it's working. I would never loan my atomic as I would not trust anyone else to follow this procedure. I thought about moving to an easier to maintain reg, but Atomic was so good with their customer service (they volunteered to replace the piston under warranty for my 3 year old reg without my even asking) that I'm sticking with them. And I love the reg anyway.

Thanks very much for this thread.
After months of pondering, I was ready to spur a little and get the T3+T2i bundle from mikesdivestore, instead of the Mikron or Apex XL4+ for lightweight warm water travel.
I don't think I am ready to commit to that level of TLC, considering that I am a big fan of "valet diving" and my 2-year-old Mares Abyss Navy II is badly scratched up on boat trips.

Do you think Atomic will release an easier to maintain T4 in near future? T3 was released a long time ago.

@jdevic The only maintenance issue I know of is the special considerations for rinsing any Atomic 2nd stage because of the Seat Saver feature. I have no idea if they will ever release a 2nd stage without the Seat Saver - but I doubt it.

And, from what I understand, because the T-series is all titanium, even if you do not take any extra care in rinsing, the reg will probably be fine because the titanium won't corrode, even if some water does get inside.

Thanks very much for this thread.
After months of pondering, I was ready to spur a little and get the T3+T2i bundle from mikesdivestore, instead of the Mikron or Apex XL4+ for lightweight warm water travel.
I don't think I am ready to commit to that level of TLC, considering that I am a big fan of "valet diving" and my 2-year-old Mares Abyss Navy II is badly scratched up on boat trips.

Do you think Atomic will release an easier to maintain T4 in near future? T3 was released a long time ago.
Easier to maintain? Not much easier than "Don't dunk the second stage unpressurized". The seat saver is what makes Atomic last 3 years between rebuilds. I wouldn't expect to see it go away any time soon, and other regulator brands are starting to follow suit on their higher end models, but there isn't much on the market easier to take care of than a titanium atomic.

I just sold off 20 of them that I bought in 1999 or 2000. They looked like new when I sold them.

Back
Top Bottom