Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't really care about the swivel turret, for a single tank reg. But, I think I would want the wider exhaust tee.

Comparing prices, getting a sealed Z2 and adding a wider exhaust, the price difference just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Updating a Z2 to the Monel piston later adds another pretty good chunk to the price.

I guess I should just get the M1. It's not THAT much more money.

The whole thing with the Z3 and the B2, that come with a swivel seems weird to me. Am I missing something? The Atomic "Comfort Swivel" is built into the hose, right? Which is 32" (or possibly 36", as an option). So, really, that swivel is only of any use to someone who uses the regs are part of a single tank reg set AND is happy with those stock hose lengths?

If you're using the regs for doubles (back or sidemount) or a pony bottle or anything else, you'd want different length hoses anyway, so you'd immediately lose the swivel, right? I presume that is why the M1 doesn't even come with a swivel. Because it's their "tech" reg and they realized nobody that buys the M1 is going to use that hose with the swivel anyway.

Personally, even on my single tank setup, I don't use those hoses. I use a 40" and an 18". So there would be absolutely no point in me spending extra for a Z3 over a Z2 (for example). Am I understanding this correctly?
I have a T3 with B2 octo and like the comfort swivel and the stock hose lengths and never have issues with the 2nd stage pulling in my mouth (I'm a warm water rec diver). I picked up the wider exhaust on the cheap from a shop that was going out of business, but have not yet installed it - I've never felt the standard exhaust putting bubbles in my face so far.

I find the 1st stage swivel turret is a nice feature and can help for hose routing. My brother-in-law regrets not going for that when he got his Z2 - though swapping for slightly longer hoses helped his issues.

How so? I have many of the Atomic regulators and never an issue with water inside.
Page 26 of the owner's manual. Since Atomics have the seat saver, if you throw them in a dunk tank like most Caribbean dive shops do, water very happily travels back up through the second stage and resides inside the piston until you blow it out again.

I has until recently 32 M1's, TI2's, and a lone B1. I collected them. Now, I'm parting with them. I will keep 12 or so, my main regs, my deco regs, my wife's main and deco regs, and some extras because you really can have many too many, but not just a few too many.

How so? I have many of the Atomic regulators and never an issue with water inside.
If you drop your Atomic reg set in a rinse tank unpressurized, the seat saving oriifice design means the 2nd stage is "open" so, theoretically, water could work its way up the hose to the first stage.

Atomic talks to this on page 29 of their regulator manual:

"Avoid soaking the regulator unpressurized, as water may enter the
second stage and first stage mechanism
. If the second stage is purged when it
is rinsed or soaked, it is a good idea to re-connect the regulator to a tank and blow out
any water that may have entered the first or second stage."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0Xl5grGg8xmrMirYnX20uk&cshid=1552925918061

If you drop your Atomic reg set in a rinse tank unpressurized, the seat saving oriifice design means the 2nd stage is "open" so, theoretically, water could work its way up the hose to the first stage.

Atomic talks to this on page 29 of their regulator manual:

"Avoid soaking the regulator unpressurized, as water may enter the
second stage and first stage mechanism
. If the second stage is purged when it
is rinsed or soaked, it is a good idea to re-connect the regulator to a tank and blow out
any water that may have entered the first or second stage."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0Xl5grGg8xmrMirYnX20uk&cshid=1552925918061

The degree to which this matters is highly dependent on the type of diving one does. If you are one of those who never lets anyone "touch" your reg and are willing to follow the prescribed routine then it isn't much of a problem, especially in fresh water. If your style of diving means dive ops and boat crew and others may rinse your gear or mess with it much, then this can become an issue, especially if you dive salt water. I finally gave up on Atomic regs for that reason and I know at least a few people who share my experience that the only regs they have had water intrusion issues with are Atomic and I know a reg tech who has told me he sees far corroded Atomic regs than other brands. That isn't a slam to Atomic, it is just a byproduct of their design, and one that causes issues for some people in some situations. The Atomic regs are very nice, but I can get the same performance from other regs that don't require as much TLC.

I was told that you can get the Z2 with a rotating turret too btw.
Atomic lists it in their catalog and I've heard of people getting it, but when the dive shop I purchased from inquired with their distributor about it, he had no idea how to make it happen, so your mileage may vary.

I do not like the M1 as a daily diver. I use mine for O2 service, and they are OK, but M1's I see in daily service look terrible on the inside.

You're saying that the materials used in the M1, to make it O2 compatible, are the issue? People rinse them incorrectly and the stuff eventually starts to corrode? Whereas with the T-series and others, the materials are more corrosion resistant, so they hold up a lot better (to people who rinse them incorrectly)?

In other words, no issues with performance as a daily driver. Just an issue with the lack of corrosion resistance (combined with their Seat Saver design).

I find the 1st stage swivel turret is a nice feature and can help for hose routing. My brother-in-law regrets not going for that when he got his Z2 - though swapping for slightly longer hoses helped his issues.

I use a ScubaPro Mk25 EVO now. It has a swivel turret. I don't get any value from that on a single tank setup. I DO use the bottom port. Most regs that I've seen don't have a bottom port unless they also have a swivel turret. But, the Atomic Z2/3 has a bottom port, even though it doesn't have a swivel turret. So, the Z2 would work fine for me (on a single tank setup - I definitely want a swivel turret on any reg I use on doubles).

The degree to which this matters is highly dependent on the type of diving one does. If you are one of those who never lets anyone "touch" your reg and are willing to follow the prescribed routine then it isn't much of a problem

I have let "the boat crew" hold onto my BCD and my wetsuit a couple of times, because it was REALLY convenient versus the alternatives. But, I have NEVER let anyone else hold onto my regs, rinse my regs, put my regs on a tank, or swap my regs from one tank to another. You can call me paranoid, if you want, but it has just never been enough of a burden to take care of my own regs to even consider letting someone else do it.

Atomic lists it in their catalog and I've heard of people getting it, but when the dive shop I purchased from inquired with their distributor about it, he had no idea how to make it happen, so your mileage may vary.

If i remember correctly you can do a custom order and get a z2 with a b2 first stage

You're saying that the materials used in the M1, to make it O2 compatible, are the issue? People rinse them incorrectly and the stuff eventually starts to corrode? Whereas with the T-series and others, the materials are more corrosion resistant, so they hold up a lot better (to people who rinse them incorrectly)?

In other words, no issues with performance as a daily driver. Just an issue with the lack of corrosion resistance (combined with their Seat Saver design).

I believe its the M1 monel parts are more sensitive to salt water

I believe its the M1 monel parts are more sensitive to salt water
The spring takes a beating on sealed regs too, although I haven't had that problem in a number of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom