Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering getting an Atomic reg set to replace my current single tank reg set. (and blaming it on you, @BurhanMuntasser :wink:)

I've been perusing their website trying to decide which specific reg I might buy.

It seems that there is one hand that wants me to believe that all their regs perform exactly the same and the only differences are materials (e.g. lighter, but costs more vs heavier, but less expensive) and some features (e.g. comes with swivel, or is ready for higher fractions of O2).

But, then there is another hand that writes things like this, in the description of the B2 reg:

Virtually identical performance as the T2 with a Brass First Stage
The B2 gives divers an close alternative to the all-Titanium T2. The signature Atomic breathing performance is nearly identical.

"Nearly identical" breathing performance? Why not "exactly identical'?

Anyway, I am really debating between a Z2 setup, which is the least expensive of all their regs, or an M1 setup. The M1 setup would cost a bit more, but it would have the flexibility of allowing me to use it as deco reg, if I ever needed to. And it comes with the wider exhaust tee, which I would like to have. The M1 downside SEEMS to be that it's not AS corrosion resistant as the Z2 (or any of their other regs, I guess). The M1 would also be better in really cold water, but I'm not sure I care about that, as this purchase would be for use as a single tank reg set, which means I would probably never use it in truly cold water. If the water is really cold, I'm probably going to be diving CCR or at least diving doubles, with my doubles reg set, and in a drysuit. My single tank reg set would be purely for teaching OW and traveling to warm water destinations.

The Z2 also appears to have an advantage in having a shorter body on the 1st stage. I think that would be slightly nicer for installing it on a single tank, pointing down at a little bit of an angle, with my 40" hose for my primary 2nd stage coming out of the bottom port and running under my left arm.

So, though it's the B2 description that says "nearly identical" breathing performance, I'm really trying to find out what the breathing performance is of the M1 and the Z2, as compared to Atomic's absolute best and to each other. And if there is anything about their regs that I have missed that might influence which one I buy.

Thanks!

Note: I can't see ANY reason for me to buy a Z3. The only difference (vs Z2) is it comes with a comfort swivel hose, which is 32" and I would be replacing anyway. I use a 40" for my primary and an 18" for my alternate. So, a 32" hose is totally useless to me, whether it has a swivel or not.

They have to say it’s close to tip people into the T circle thinking that they want the very best. All Atomics, when tuned the same breath the same, the big difference between the “M” and the “Z” is the swivel and the Monel piston with a Monel swivel retainer vs stainless piston no swivel. I use my two “T’s” for travel and have no complaints, really like the corrosion restiance for this. The “B” series, if memory serves use titanium in the second stage otherwise the first stage is the same body as the “M” and “Z” the Monel parts in the “M” being less reactive to O2 allowed it to claim the 50% mix.

You can get a “Z” and put a Monel piston in it for the best of both if you don’t want or need a swivel.

They all breath the same.

I can't discern any performance difference between the Atomic regulators I own. I am in favor of getting the M1 myself but if I were to get the Z2, I'd make sure that it is a sealed version (In Europe and our region, they all come in a sealed version only).

You can add the M1 exhaust tee to the z2 as well. Agreed that the z3 over the z2 doesn't make sense when you can add your own swivel and not be stuck with a proprietary hose.

I don't really care about the swivel turret, for a single tank reg. But, I think I would want the wider exhaust tee.

Comparing prices, getting a sealed Z2 and adding a wider exhaust, the price difference just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Updating a Z2 to the Monel piston later adds another pretty good chunk to the price.

I guess I should just get the M1. It's not THAT much more money.

The whole thing with the Z3 and the B2, that come with a swivel seems weird to me. Am I missing something? The Atomic "Comfort Swivel" is built into the hose, right? Which is 32" (or possibly 36", as an option). So, really, that swivel is only of any use to someone who uses the regs are part of a single tank reg set AND is happy with those stock hose lengths?

If you're using the regs for doubles (back or sidemount) or a pony bottle or anything else, you'd want different length hoses anyway, so you'd immediately lose the swivel, right? I presume that is why the M1 doesn't even come with a swivel. Because it's their "tech" reg and they realized nobody that buys the M1 is going to use that hose with the swivel anyway.

Personally, even on my single tank setup, I don't use those hoses. I use a 40" and an 18". So there would be absolutely no point in me spending extra for a Z3 over a Z2 (for example). Am I understanding this correctly?

I don't really care about the swivel turret, for a single tank reg. But, I think I would want the wider exhaust tee.

Comparing prices, getting a sealed Z2 and adding a wider exhaust, the price difference just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Updating a Z2 to the Monel piston later adds another pretty good chunk to the price.

I guess I should just get the M1. It's not THAT much more money.

The whole thing with the Z3 and the B2, that come with a swivel seems weird to me. Am I missing something? The Atomic "Comfort Swivel" is built into the hose, right? Which is 32" (or possibly 36", as an option). So, really, that swivel is only of any use to someone who uses the regs are part of a single tank reg set AND is happy with those stock hose lengths?

If you're using the regs for doubles (back or sidemount) or a pony bottle or anything else, you'd want different length hoses anyway, so you'd immediately lose the swivel, right? I presume that is why the M1 doesn't even come with a swivel. Because it's their "tech" reg and they realized nobody that buys the M1 is going to use that hose with the swivel anyway.

Personally, even on my single tank setup, I don't use those hoses. I use a 40" and an 18". So there would be absolutely no point in me spending extra for a Z3 over a Z2 (for example). Am I understanding this correctly?
I have some older T2's for sale, brand new rebuild, half of new cost. They will run you about what a new M1 does.

I do not like the M1 as a daily diver. I use mine for O2 service, and they are OK, but M1's I see in daily service look terrible on the inside.

Most people rinse them incorrectly, resulting in water in the first stage.

I have few of the Atomic proprietary hoses with swivels sitting in my closet doing nothing for the last few years (B2, ST1) since I change the hoses for different lengths anyways. The EXTREMELY expensive hose with nondetachable swivel is a waste and drives the total cost of ownership for the Atomic regulators higher unnecessarily. This is the only fault I have with Atomic regulators. I wish that they make the swivel detachable from the hose, it would be an awesome feature if they do.

Most people rinse them incorrectly, resulting in water in the first stage.
How so? I have many of the Atomic regulators and never an issue with water inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom