Atlas gloves for Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The viking rings are the same way. You might as well just buy a second ring set. The gloves do change out in less than 2 min once you get used to doing it, so you can still save a dive with just the spare gloves.

Tom

I bought the Viking kit as well from Bob and as others have attested, he's a great guy to deal with! I got the XL smurf gloves w/ liners and the fit is good out of the water. I was surprised at how easy they were to install on my Fusion and will be getting the whole thing wet for the first time this weekend in drysuit class and check out dives.

The only question I have now is will I be able to rig up some bungee cord on my VT3 hoseless computer in a puck that's loose enough to fit over the rings but tight enough to stay put on my 3mm wetsuit for warm water diving...

Edited to add that in searching for a place to buy a backup pair I ran across a place on Amazon that's selling 12 pair of gloves for $24 with $9 shipping so that works out to $2.75/pair. Here's a link to the XL size - http://www.amazon.com/ATLAS-Vinylov...f=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1241624867&sr=8-15

12 pair may be overkill but hell, for $2.75 shipped each that's pretty darn good.

That guy usually sells them around that price on ebay as well. The last I checked, he didn't have the XXL size, though.

Tom

I use the 1/8" shock cord from REI for my wrist gauges. It's easily enough stretched to go over the Viking rings without much trouble, but it's still sturdy enough to keep the gauges in place. The 1/4" bungie is too hard to stretch.

The only question I have now is will I be able to rig up some bungee cord on my VT3 hoseless computer in a puck that's loose enough to fit over the rings but tight enough to stay put on my 3mm wetsuit for warm water diving...

You're in luck, I just wrote this post for another board. All you need is the DSS mount for your VT3 and some 3/16" bungee, and you're in business:

I have a couple of SK7s in DSS mounts (and computers, BTs, etc.). I switch between wet and dry on a semi-regular basis, and I always seem to frequently be loaning out my spare compass. As a result, I needed a threading method that was secure, but easy to adjust, to accommodate everything from my drysuit with winter weight undergarments and dryglove rings, down to loaning it to a woman with slender wrists diving wet. Here's the method I now use, which offers two redundant loops in case one breaks, and is highly adjustable to fit a large variety of wrists. (small-wristed people can simply tuck the extra cord back under the arm loops to keep things neat.) I can wear it diving dry, diving wet, or on a bare arm with ease.

Thumb_IMG_5902.JPG
Thumb_IMG_5905.JPG
Thumb_IMG_5901.JPG

Full series here (with larger pics available):
Suunto SK7 in Deep Sea Supply Boot

Note that the thicker 3/16" bungee is a MUST for this method, as the thinner stuff lacks the friction needed to keep it in place. (Edit: This size applies to SK7 mounts, Uwatec BT mounts, and Suunto mounts... if they've made the holes smaller with the newest VT3 mount, the thinner stuff may be your only option)

Finish the ends by a quick burn, just enough to melt the outer cover so it doesn't come undone and fray. Too much fire and you melt the rubber, but it won't melt in any sort of helpful way, just puts out a lot of oily smoke and will leave black streaks on anything it touches for a year. A simple overhand knot right at the ends of each loop takes care of the rest.

Thanks Compudude and TSandM - I'll give both a try and see which one works best. Compudude, that's a slick way to put that together, the only issue I may have is I cut the wrist strap off my VT3 and bungeed it (before DeepSea had a VT3 boot) because I hated the extra strap bit flopping around in the water. The bits of bungee may not be as bad since they're much smaller than the strap. As you can see in the picture, I did burn the ends too much and ended up with gloppy rubber that left tracks on stuff. Lesson learned!

Another option (depending how difficult it is to get the computer out of the wrist strap and Deep Sea boot) would be to just swap the computer back and forth keeping the wrist strap for wet suit and the boot for dry suit.

_DSC0968.jpg

Thanks Compudude and TSandM - I'll give both a try and see which one works best. Compudude, that's a slick way to put that together, the only issue I may have is I cut the wrist strap off my VT3 and bungeed it (before DeepSea had a VT3 boot) because I hated the extra strap bit flopping around in the water. The bits of bungee may not be as bad since they're much smaller than the strap. As you can see in the picture, I did burn the ends too much and ended up with gloppy rubber that left tracks on stuff. Lesson learned!

Another option (depending how difficult it is to get the computer out of the wrist strap and Deep Sea boot) would be to just swap the computer back and forth keeping the wrist strap for wet suit and the boot for dry suit.

You won't want to swap the computer back and forth frequently. It's not overly difficult, but it's not really designed for frequent swapping, either.

Give the DSS boot a try... it hardly breaks the bank. You'll likely find you like it better than the stock mount, being low profile, and want to use it at all times.

The main problem with most wrist straps that I have seen is they eventually come unbuckled on a dive and you surface without your prized computer.

I see them for sale used on VERY rare occasions, and they go in seconds.

You're not kidding. That guy that was selling them on TDS unloaded 8 sets of the DC gloves in less than two days!

Here's what I ended up doing for the DSS computer boot lacing.

The loop on top of the boot holds tight once there is a bit of tension on the wrist loop.

I also just rigged this set-up on my wrist slate:

The way the cord lock is "tethered" to the slate allows me to tighten the bungee with just one hand by just pulling on the short bungee loop. Better than my older set-up without the tether, where I needed to hands to set the tension.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom