Atlas gloves for Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get 6 new pair of 620's on eBay for $17.99 with free shipping to the US. Pretty good deal.

Also, what size do most people wear with liners such as the above mentioned ones from REI? I assume the average would be large or x-large?

My palm measures 8". My fingers are thin to average. Wearing a light polypropylene liner, the Atlas 660 XL is a little tight when gripping, the Atlas 660 XXL is an adequate fit, and the Atlas 495 L is nice and roomy, which is my preference. YMMV, of course.... :D

I just took a look at some glove liners offered by REI:

Glove Liners at REI.com | 100% Satisfaction Guarantee | Customer Reviews

From the descriptions and pics, their liners look pretty thin (some are Polartec 50 weight), but I don't have personal experience with them specifically.

However, I have mixed and matched other liners of various weights and found the Atlas 660's, which are sized for use without liners, will need to be 1-2 sizes oversized to accomodate liners without being too tight.

The Atlas 495's have fatter fingers and palms and are sized to accomodate liners. Their sizing will correspond to your hand measurement and standard glove size charts, for the most part.

Here's a posting of mine that discussed palm and finger measurements, Atlas glove sizing and actual measurements of Atlas 660 and 495 gloves. It might be helpful to you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3730557-post3.html

It's a little hard to predict is how the liner you choose will fit in the skinnier fingers of the 660's, especially when gripping something. A slightly tight fit might be much colder because of reduced circulation.

In general, for 660's, I'd say go 1 size oversized for very light liners, 2 sizes oversized for heavier liners. I find that roominess is definitely warmer and dexterity is still good. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
Last night I installed the brown Atlas ones (XL to fit my medium hand) on the DC rings. I hope they last at least a few dives longer than the ones I just replaced. I had a pair of blue wells-Lamont? I got from Lowe's but they were ****. Pin holes all over the place, so out they go. Damn did they stink even after only 5 dives on them on them too.

The Atlas gloves last for a really, really long time... I imagine it'll be a considerable improvement over the Lowe's garbage =)

Our ocean floor here is literally littered with Atlas gloves... unfortunately, they'll probably never decay.

-B

You can get 6 new pair of 620's on eBay for $17.99 with free shipping to the US. Pretty good deal.

Also, what size do most people wear with liners such as the above mentioned ones from REI? I assume the average would be large or x-large?

I usually wear a medium glove, and wear size L Atlas 660s with a thin liner like the REI one I linked. Not a huge amount of room for a thicker liner, but I probably could get a little thicker if I needed to. Those Black Diamond ones look good, if a little pricey.

Note: Liners like that work nicely for me in waters down to 50f (socal). If your waters are colder, or you're doing multi-hour hangs, you may need thicker stuff. My hands aren't 100% toasty, but they're plenty warm, and I have the dexterity I need to work my camera controls.

Easy enough to buy a a few sizes of Atlas glove to dial in your size needs, and take them to your local REI/EMS/Ski shop/whatever and try things on until you find a combination you like. I have a couple extra Atlas gloves I'll need to get rid of that are the wrong size... but I see that as $5 well spent.

Another note, Army surplus wool gloves make really great glove liners. They give good bang for the buck. They are cheap, and keep my hands toasty for 60min in 40* water.

I am 6'6" and have large hands. I use XXL Atlas 620s. That leaves extra room when I'm wearing the army gloves. It's a little tight when I try to wear two. The gloves are tight enough that I don't have a problem with a huge air bubble when I raise my hand to do a valve drill.

Tom

Another note, Army surplus wool gloves make really great glove liners. They give good bang for the buck. They are cheap, and keep my hands toasty for 60min in 40* water.

I am 6'6" and have large hands. I use XXL Atlas 620s. That leaves extra room when I'm wearing the army gloves. It's a little tight when I try to wear two. The gloves are tight enough that I don't have a problem with a huge air bubble when I raise my hand to do a valve drill.

Tom

I'm thinking of trying some 620's.

Tom, would you have a chance to measure your XXL 620's across the palm at the the first knuckle? I'm curious to see how they compare to the XXL 660's I've measured.

Also, what's your own palm circumference measurement, if I might ask? (To judge how close a fit you're talking about with the Army surplus gloves.)

TIA. :)

Dave C

Dave-
I have both 620 gloves, and 660 gloves. The two are identical for XL and XXL sizes. My palm is 9" circumference. My middle finger is 3 7/8".

The XXL fits nicely, and is not too loose; however, if I run with too much air in my suit, I can get balloon hands when reaching behind my head to do a valve drill.

The XL is pretty snug, it makes getting the glove on more difficult, and the circulation in my hand isn't as good because my hands get colder faster with the same amount of insulation. They are pretty usable though, even if I get a case of balloon hands.

HTH,
Tom

I know this thread is kind of all over the place but it's mostly on topic. :D

Do any of you know if Dive Concepts rings for the glove side are available separately? I think I'd like to have another set of gloves ready to go WHEN the ones I'm using spring a leak. Would you know cost??

I know this thread is kind of all over the place but it's mostly on topic. :D

Do any of you know if Dive Concepts rings for the glove side are available separately? I think I'd like to have another set of gloves ready to go WHEN the ones I'm using spring a leak. Would you know cost??

I see them for sale used on VERY rare occasions, and they go in seconds. I also had a quote from a dealer, once, for a STUPID amount of money (I had the same thought as you). You can order them separately, but... OUCH.

I ended picking up a second full set, used, and just using the glove rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom