Atlas gloves for Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any good advice on good gloves for the classic viking system? The viking gloves are expensive! :)

Comasec - gloves chemical protection : specialized : glove g17k (formerly 173) ce complex design

This is what most of us here use. Inexpensive and quite durable. I like wearing them white side out...makes for good hand signals. Also you can switch a right for a left or left for right by turning them inside out.

I get 12 pairs for $22 from a commercial fishing supply store.

I cant imagine an easier dry glove system. As far as self donning and simplicity I haven't seen anything else I would use.

Good luck,
U/O

I also recently bought the stripped Viking bayonet ring kit and 660 smurf gloves from Bob (great guy by the way) admin@comdive.com and great prices. Wow these things rock. Very easy to install on my Whites fusion. Following the directions that were posted above made it a breeze. Thanks for all the great tips.

Do bicycle tube patches work to repair he 495s? I wouldn't worry much about the $3-4 dollar models, but It seems like it would be worth patching a $16 glove.

Aquaseal will work fine to patch pinhole or slice damage, but that rarely happens, in my experience. The Aquaseal repair will be flexible and last forever, especially if a couple of thinner coats are used.

I've found it's very hard to tear the Atlas 495 or 660 pvc glove, and I've manhandled some rusty, barnacle-covered anchors and chains with these gloves. I wouldn't worry unless you expect to work them real hard! You could put some garden gloves over them, if needed. :D

I have several sizes of both the 495's and 660's for wearing over different liners in different water temps. In general, as fdog said, you'll need 2 sizes larger in the 660's than in the 495's, and, even then, the 660's skinnier fingers may be a little tight when gripping something.

I've found the 495's looser fit is warmer and the dexterity is fine when the air moves out of the glove in the typical lower position. Working overhead will fill the glove with air and may make the loose fit too sloppy for fine dexterity.... I'll sometimes need to lower my gloves to compress them and then quickly reach up to do the task, such as untying a knot, etc. :)

A loose fit is definitely warmer in either model. If you squeeze a second liner into too small a glove, it may end up actually making your hands much colder. I've done it.... :D

Dave C

I know the feeling. I've got a collection of fake Crocs. For some reason, I always break something with the strap on the left shoe. *Always* the left. I have at least five broken left shoes and zero broken rights, although I may have lost count somewhere.

Do you use the Viking bayonet rings? I've got SI-Tech rings, but I'm seriously considering swapping out for the Viking bayonets, as the SI-Techs are annoying to get on and off. (I haven't spent much on scuba recently, so I'm due for a purchase. :wink:)

I've got the Dive Concepts rings, do you know if they are much different than the SI-Tech rings?

Incidentally, for dry gloves. I've ordered a bunch of the 3 dollar pairs of Atlas ( 660 and the brownones ) and they run I'd say two sizes smaller than "noramal" I ordered mediums and they will not fit my bare hand. I'm not so happy with the lower cost ones, where the 13-16 dollar ones seem to be a better fit for diving. ( Thanks MitenDiver )

This place has the "good ones" with liner for 14 bucks.
Atlas Glove, Cold Resistant, Insulated PVC, Removable Liner, 495

The price is good, but they charge over $10 to ship and then add another $7 for "small order" handling charge. :shocked2:

Maybe a group buy would be economical, but SeaMar still looks pretty good for small orders. :)

Dave C

I ordered two so I didn't get hit with the 7 dollar charge. Shipping was "only" 7 something to my door.

I would have gotten them from Seattle Marine, but their online ordering wasn't as easy, or I'm too stupid to easily figure it out.

I've ordered from Seattle Marine before and can tell you they are a great bunch of people to deal with. This go-round I couldn't complete my order by clicking through so I went to the "other" place.

I need the gloves so if it's costing me a couple bucks more this time, well it is what it is.

Let me check on the price here locally - if it's competitive with what you guys are seeing I'll buy a bunch of the 660s and 495s and sell them here on SB with easy shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

I think I pay roughly $4-5 a pair for the 660s + another $2 for the liners. Haven't bought them in a while though...

-B

SeaMar is the go-to place. Atlas triple-dipped 660's for toughness, or double-dipped 620's for dexterity (at the cost of some toughness). Highly visible underwater, as well, great for hand signals.

I don't recommend the kinds with built-in liners, they're terrible (IMO). They're great for about 2-3 dives before they turn smelly and rank, and there's no way to wash the attached liners. Just pick up some appropriately warm fleece or wool gloves (or even glove liners, that's all I use) from your local sporting good store, like REI or EMS or whatever you have locally. Then you can wash as needed.

660:
660 GLOVE PVC BL OIL PROOF - Seattle Marine

620:
620 GLOVES PVC ORANGE - tag - Gloves - Seattle Marine

Liners:
http://www.rei.com/product/777999

You can get 6 new pair of 620's on eBay for $17.99 with free shipping to the US. Pretty good deal.

Also, what size do most people wear with liners such as the above mentioned ones from REI? I assume the average would be large or x-large?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom