Astigmatism Prescription Dive Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The Year 2014 is the last thread in this forum with astigmatism in the title, surely since then there have been advances, new products?
Both hubby and daughter need astigmatism correcting masks, so I am hoping for some recent purchasers to share their experience?
Thank you!

Sounds like any of several sources for actual prescriptions ground by a lab and bounded to your existing mask lens. Same as grinding lenses for your glasses. But if you are looking for an off the shelf diopters solution for astigmatism, it’s not going to happen, Far too many variations.
PM me if you can’t find options, I have a lab I use that specializes in dive masks. But you should be able to find much closer options than mine.

I've had two custom masks done, I don't know the far sighted/nearsited lingo but I can't see things up close and they did a small correction for far away. Not cheap but they work great for me.

They grind a lens and it gets glued inside your mask - readers are small ones at the bottom to I think they call it photographer that cover the whole mask..

I'll get who did the last one - the dive shop sent it out and I don't live in that area anymore.

I don't know about any new products. These have been around for a long time.
SeavisionUSA makes polycarbonate mask lenses with full prescription including astigmatism. They are optically great. The lenses are installed in place of the original glass, so there are no visible edger or glue on parts.
There is another manufacturer, Aquaticoptics, which makes prescription glass lenses to masks. Also nice, but the company is a bit difficult to reach.
Many opticians can grind glass lenses (with planar front surface) with even larger spectrum of prescriptions. These lenses are then glued inside your mask.

What has actually changed since 2014 is contact lenses. Disposable toric contact lenses are more common now and available for wider range of astigmatic prescriptions.
After spending a fortune on prescription masks, I have now completely switched to diving with toric contact lenses.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

World class work. Send them your prescription and your favorite mask, have a discussion with them about what kind of diving you do, done. The way they grind/bond the lenses is different if you do lots of u/w photography, for example.

I've had several of their masks. Don't use them now only because multifocal cataract surgery means no more correction needed. Woot!

I am hoping to get this for daughter and hubby, with built in magnification for seeing gauges for the hubby.
Thank you everyone!

So
SeavisionUSA makes polycarbonate mask lenses with full prescription including astigmatism. They are optically great. The lenses are installed in place of the original glass, so there are no visible edger or glue on parts.
There is another manufacturer, Aquaticoptics, which makes prescription glass lenses to masks. Also nice, but the company is a bit difficult to reach.
Many opticians can grind glass lenses (with planar front surface) with even larger spectrum of prescriptions. These lenses are then glued inside your mask.

What has actually changed since 2014 is contact lenses. Disposable toric contact lenses are more common now and available for wider range of astigmatic prescriptions.
After spending a fortune on prescription masks, I have now completely switched to diving with toric contact lenses.
I have the Aquaoptics/Newport astigmatism lenses. They are fine. I dont have any problem with them, like them enough. It was easy to order by email actually. But I also dont like its minimalism, I want some bells and whistles with my lenses, damn it! (ultra clear lenses, anyone? Uv filtering? Color correcting/enhancing? I want them all!)

Will check out the contact lenses Route! I've never worn one and would hate them so, so much.

Are you certain that you need lenses that correct your astigmatism? I have a significant astigmatism in both eyes, and for me the standard corrective pop in lenses from my mask manufacturer work just fine. If your mask vendor offers corrective lenses, it might be worth a shot as they will likely be a much cheaper option. Good luck!

This is who I used. Sent them my mask and script and they ground and glued in the lenses. I have astigmatism in both eyes and both eyes different. Mask came back perfect.

HOME

Seavision have limits to what they can do optically. And you have to use their masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom