confused about prescription masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helpful. I'm comparing Seavision with Promate. Promate is about 1/3 the cost but I'm not on a budget and need the best manufacture.
You get what you pay for... I'm on my fourth or fifth SeaVsion mask (my eyes change every 12-18 months)... they just got even better with their new grinders. Promate doesn't seem to have their own website and sells at Walmart... seems like something to avoid.

My step-daughter says her SeaVision mask has better optics than her glasses.

They're so good my LDS has set themselves up as a dealer for them after my prodding.

And an addendum to earlier posts... I've switched to their skirts and their top end.

You get what you pay for... I'm on my fourth or fifth SeaVsion mask (my eyes change every 12-18 months)... they just got even better with their new grinders. Promate doesn't seem to have their own website and sells at Walmart... seems like something to avoid.

My step-daughter says her SeaVision mask has better optics than her glasses.

They're so good my LDS has set themselves up as a dealer for them after my prodding.

And an addendum to earlier posts... I've switched to their skirts and their top end.

Totally agree about SV masks. The only downside? You need two. Cannot/will not go on a trip without a backup. Trip would be ruined if I broke a mask.

Notwithstanding that I had my Astigmatism corrected with Lasik (and that appears to be the only correction that has survived over time), I would repeat this endorsement of Sea Vision.

When I went from a bi-focal to a progressive tri-focal, all I did was send my old mask and new prescription back to Sea Vision, and they did the rest.

My wife and I both dive in Sea Vision prescription masks.

Knock on wood, but I have been diving Sea Vision lenses (started with readers, then went through the prescription process I mentioned above) for close to twenty years, maybe more.

Not a scratch yet, however on the boat, when they are not on my head (and never on my forehead), they are in their case.

Helpful. I'm comparing Seavision with Promate. Promate is about 1/3 the cost but I'm not on a budget and need the best manufacture.
Still as sold on SeaVision now as before.

Plus, in all the several lenses they have done for both me and my wife, none of them have had anything glued to either the inside or outside.

All the corrections have been ground into the mask lense, accurately.

Totally agree about SV masks. The only downside? You need two. Cannot/will not go on a trip without a backup. Trip would be ruined if I broke a mask.
That's true of any prescription mask though especially if you can't read your gauges without them. Just got new ones for both my stepdaughter and myself. Last year's with our outdated numbers become the backups.

That's true of any prescription mask though especially if you can't read your gauges without them. Just got new ones for both my stepdaughter and myself. Last year's with our outdated numbers become the backups.

My are readers. So your statement is especially true! I’ve also donated more than one set to someone on one of my trips before. In addition to seeing your gauges, they’re really useful for seeing micro-critters.

I just called SeaVision and they they can't help those of us who have moderate to severe hyperopia, aka farsighted or + prescriptions.

As I understand it, some of these prescription places are expecting you to buy a dive mask from them, without even trying it on, and then they put lenses in. Better to have your own mask, which you know fits, worked on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom