As a rec diver, what to do if I breach my computer's NDL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech training filters that out. There is a component of passing that is called "attitude".

I would like to hear from tech instructors on this. It is my understanding that this is often the biggest challenge for them.
Yeah, if I was PC, I'd say I'll buy that..
In reality, who does actual groundbreaking stuff? Some random John with an OW card? Don't think so...
Don't tell me going that bit further into a cave, that bit deeper than you've been before (or anyone have been before) isn't pushing the envelope

In reality, who does actual groundbreaking stuff? Some random John with an OW card? Don't think so...
Don't tell me going that bit further into a cave, that bit deeper than you've been before (or anyone have been before) isn't pushing the envelope

It's absolutely pushing the envelope. But it's safer with appropriate training and build-up of experience. They're pushing the envelope JUST farther than what they've trained for. "Some random John with an OW card" is going to be pushing WAY beyond their training.

Note: I didn't say cert.

You know, when I joined the board, there was a frequent poster named Mike Ferrara. Mike said something once that has stuck with me. He said that, if he wanted to do a dive that would push recreational limits, he'd much rather plan it as an honest technical dive and take the gases and equipment to do it easily and safely, rather than plan it as an "edge of the envelope" recreational dive. It made a huge amount of sense to me. I got my technical training so I could do exactly that sort of dive . . . the one you COULD pull off with recreational gear and gases, but you'd be pushing it, have short bottom times, and see your NDLs count down into single digits. I do them on a light helium mix with a deco gas, and know I'm at the conservative end of what I can do with that setup, rather than being at the extreme liberal end of typical recreational diving.

If you want to push limits, go get some more training, and do it safely. Otherwise, plan your profiles so you aren't on the ragged edge.

I think that one reason to "penalize" rec divers who push their NDLs too far by making them take a dry day (or 12 hours, or 6 hours, or whatever) is to further denounce their pushing of limits. If you were a rec-only diver, on a week-long liveaboard in paradise.....and you were pushing your NDL, but had plenty of gas left. If you had been taught to "you'll be fine if you follow your computer".....wouldn't you stay? What if you were taught, "follow your computer to the surface, and then follow it up with a 24-hour SI" instead? If that's what was taught, it might make a lot of divers think twice about breaching NDLs.

I think that having a computer "penalize" divers is not only unwelcome but unwise.

Going into gauge mode or extending surface intervals because of dive profiles that exceed what the deco algorithm allows is done for safety, and I don't view that as a penalty.

The purpose of a dive computer is to give information to the diver, not to "denounce their pushing of limits" or teach the diver a lesson.

If you want to push limits, go get some more training, and do it safely. Otherwise, plan your profiles so you aren't on the ragged edge.

I completely and whole-heartedly agree. If the only thing you want to do is extend your bottom time beyond recreational limits safely, then take the time to learn how to do it right. A little bit of time to learn to use the appropriate gases and required skills--as you would get in taking courses like Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures--will be more than worth it for you.

I completely and whole-heartedly agree. If the only thing you want to do is extend your bottom time beyond recreational limits safely, then take the time to learn how to do it right. A little bit of time to learn to use the appropriate gases and required skills--as you would get in taking courses like Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures--will be more than worth it for you.

And several thousands of dollars in new gear...but that's another thread.

Well, if you want to see whats down at 50 meters, Id think that several thousands of dollars of gear beats several thousands of medical bills because you got bent from not knowing what you where doing any day..
However, thats yet another thread. As is deco/tech training in any regard as this thread is about NOT having it..

Well, if you want to see whats down at 50 meters, Id think that several thousands of dollars of gear beats several thousands of medical bills because you got bent from not knowing what you where doing any day..
However, thats yet another thread. As is deco/tech training in any regard as this thread is about NOT having it..

You make assumptions. Not unusual on SB. I have no interest or desire to see anything at 50 meters.

Not really. Go to the classified section and see what's available for cheap. Heck, I myself posted an aluminum BP,singles wing, fins, and a multi-gas computer months ago for practically nothing, and no one has shown an interest. I doubt if your feet are big enough for the fins I advertised, and you probably aren't tall enough for the dry suit. There's a bunch more like it from other people there. There's an ad on Craigslist in my area selling 3 deco bottles, fully rigged, for a fraction of the cost of new ones. Shop around!

You make assumptions. Not unusual on SB. I have no interest or desire to see anything at 50 meters.
You doesnt neccesarilly mean you in particular you know, you're the one assuming I meant you personally when I mean you as in anyone reading this..

Also there was an "if" in there, indicating that in the eventuallity you want to rather than because you want to, had I infact meant you in particular - which I didnt..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom