As a rec diver, what to do if I breach my computer's NDL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
This is an attempt at splitting an OT conversation from another thread, I apologize if I do a bad job :D. The discussion started wandering and ended up at this topic. If you're a rec diver, with OW or AOW or even Rescue training, but no deco training, what do you do when your computer starts yelling at you? How does deco work? What can you salvage?

In simple terms, incurring a deco obligation means that your computer thinks that you'll probably get bent if you go straight to the surface. Many computers, especially "rec" computers, will add a safety stop time to your deco obligation. What this does is it gives you a "Virtual ceiling," which is a term many have heard before. This means you had might as well have rock above you, because you CAN'T go above that depth (statistically, according to your computer's model) without getting bent. Remember, always better bent than dead....but with a little care you can easily reduce your chances of getting bent, as well.

First off, let me say you shouldn't be meaning to go into deco. This should be something that either happens because you weren't paying attention or because you had extenuating circumstances. Do not go into deco without appropriate training, equipment, and planning.

No computer is truly a "rec-only" computer...they'll all track you into deco. Also, all of your dives are technically "deco" dives as you're decompressing on ALL of them. So, if your computer goes into deco it doesn't mean it's given up on you. It'll track your loading until it's all gone, which is usually 18-24 hours, depending on algorithm. An algorithm is simply the method by which it "tracks" your nitrogen loading. Algorithms are exact, but they don't exactly predict real life. They're our best guess on how to keep the bends statistically out of our lives. If you DO go into deco, most computers will give you a ceiling. Do not exceed that ceiling. Go shallower as soon as you can, but ascend slowly. Hang out as shallow as you can. Your most aggressive off-gassing occurs at the ceiling, but that is dangerous as you're pushing your limits AND you might get dragged to the surface easier. Try to hang out at a safe depth slightly below the ceiling. Most computers will give you a ceiling at 10ft before anything else happens. In that case, I like to hang at 20ft or maybe 15ft if the water is calm. Watch the timer drop until it says you're safe to surface. At that point, you can go on up. A question was asked in the other thread about extending your dive, so ascending but not to a deco stop. While this is possible, you've already pushed your luck by going into deco. Wait out your deco, wait for your computer to clear, extend your safety stop, and then get back on the boat. An important thing to note is that ascending the last 10-20ft from your safety stop is the most crucial to take slowly. Ascend so that it takes a couple minutes to surface. Then, rest. Relax. Excercise is likely to get you bent. You might even want to sit at the surface a while (5-10min) if it's an option. See if somebody can get your gear on the boat for you. If you see/feel any symptoms, inquire about O2 on the surface, NOT under water. If I were you, I'd call it for the rest of the day.

I'd like to hear from experienced divers, what you think of my synopsis. Should I have changed something? From rec-only divers, what do you think? Do you have any questions?

I think there's a lot of merit to this, but I'd like to stress that this is ONLY if you mess up and accidentally incur deco....nobody should be doing this without proper training.

Last edited:
Yes Vic, I'd say that's about right on topic. I look forward to the intelligent discussion - not hand slapping after the fact.

Cheers!

Without stating the obvious, I agree with you. Follow the computer and trust it to get you out of the water safely. I would add that you should know what deco looks like on your DC so you know what to do and what it means. Last thing you want is to see a new screen underwater and panic because you don't know what to do.
Honestly, if you are diving 100ft and go into deco you by 2-3 minutes, your really only talking about a 2 min hang at 10ft. It's not that big of a deal. You might even clear before you get to your safety stop. But if you can't plan your dives and stay at 100 so long you have a 10-15 hang from 30ft and up then you shouldn't be diving at the depth because now you are looking at running out of gas before it's safe to surface.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

If you have no deco training and end up with a deco obligation theres only one thing you can and should do and thats what the computer tell you. If you know nothing about deco diving, the computer know more than you...

If you have an issue with running low on gas, just do as much as you possibly can before surfacing and hope you get out of there in one piece..

One thing that was mentioned on another thread was this: dive nitrox with your computer set to air, and then a backup computer set to your real mixture. Dive your air (primary) computer into deco and watch what it says. Make sure your backup doesn't go into deco and make sure you don't exceed MOD. Then, ascend and watch what your computer does. It's a way of simulating deco while not actually putting yourself in that situation. It also proves whether or not you could handle a deco stop. e.g. If you lock out that computer, you're "bent"...purely do to lack of skill.

I think one of the biggest things was touched on by cephasiii....and that's to NOT PANIC. If you accidentally exceed your NDLs on your computer, just trust it and be conservative. Ascend to half-max depth as soon as practicable, and then start your slow ascent up. You won't have THAT much deco, as it adds up gradually. If you barely breach NDLs, then all it means is you barely have a deco stop. Just think of it as a long, required safety stop.

...//... what do you do when your computer starts yelling at you? ...//...

Get out of Dodge.

...//... What can you salvage? ...//...

Ascend at 30 feet per minute to 15 or 20 feet and suck down your remaining gas until either 1) your computer clears or 2) you hit several hundred psi. Surface.

This quick and dirty procedure implies a recreational diver hitting unexpected deco and responding to it in a timely fashion.

Ascend at 30 feet per minute to 15 or 20 feet and suck down your remaining gas until either 1) your computer clears or 2) you hit several hundred psi. Surface.

This quick and dirty procedure implies a recreational diver hitting unexpected deco and responding to it in a timely fashion.

Why would I surface with an uncleared computer and several hundred psi???

Wait at 15 -20 feet until the computer clears or you are at about 100 psi - or whatever is low enough in your particular tank to do a comfortable very slow ascent from 20 feet. Personally that would be until the reg starts to get hard to breathe. (Depends on surface conditions of course)

300 psi in an AL80 is rougly 8cf which is enough at 20 feet to stay another 8 - 16 minutes depending on sac. That is what the reserve is for, it does you no good at the surface.

Yes Vic, I'd say that's about right on topic. I look forward to the intelligent discussion - not hand slapping after the fact.

Cheers!

Aw, I hope you weren't referring to my comment about "it's in MY computer's manual." But how to handle a few minutes NDL violation is well-described out there--if not in one's computer manual then elsewhere. I also recall being given a rule-of-thumb procedure in a PADI Deep class.

Aw, I hope you weren't referring to my comment about "it's in MY computer's manual." But how to handle a few minutes NDL violation is well-described out there--if not in one's computer manual then elsewhere. I also recall being given a rule-of-thumb procedure in a PADI Deep class.

Oh? Pray-tell mon ami, and what would that rule of thumb be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom