As a rec diver, what to do if I breach my computer's NDL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My head is spinning right now. The direction this thread has taken is just baffling. Taking a very simple and safe procedure and making it much more complicated does not make it any safer.

I've wondered about that before. So if I set my already conservative Suunto computer to its most conservative setting, such that its NDLs would (let's assume) be less than everyone else's, then when it indicates I have exceeded an NDL and informs me of a ceiling, that's "simulating"? It's not real deco? What is real deco? It's an interesting question.

Thank you.

---------- Post added January 21st, 2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

My head is spinning right now. The direction this thread has taken is just baffling. Taking a very simple and safe procedure and making it much more complicated does not make it any safer.

My hypothesis (unproven) is that just continuously jamming up to the NDL is not a safe procedure for some people. PM me.

My hypothesis (unproven) is that just continuously jamming up to the NDL is not a safe procedure for some people. PM me.

If you think the default settings are too risky, then change the settings to a more conservative level and just follow it.

If you think you should have more deco than the standard 3 minutes at 15 feet, then stay there longer. Stay as long as you want.

If you think the default settings are too risky...//...

For some people, I do think so. For same people who tend to be "aggressive" rec divers with issues, my belief is that the rigor and discipline of real technical training could be a very good thing, unproven, thus my OP. Even if they never want to go true tech, I just don't see rigor being enforced in rec training, rigor truly is enforced in tech training.

Making up stuff like staying at a final stop for as long as one wishes is not rigorous, it is just stuff...

Or theill just be "real aggressive tech divers"...

Tech training filters that out. There is a component of passing that is called "attitude".

I would like to hear from tech instructors on this. It is my understanding that this is often the biggest challenge for them.

You do realize that the incidence of DCS in divers, including those who are pushing or even exceeding the limits of a computer, is something like 0.02%, don't you?

You do realize that the incidence of DCS in divers, including those who are pushing or even exceeding the limits of a computer, is something like 0.02%, don't you?

What's the incidence of DCS in divers who are pushing or even exceeding the limits of a computer? Not the divers diving to 20ft with EAN40....JUST the divers pushing it.

If you think the default settings are too risky, then change the settings to a more conservative level and just follow it.

If you think you should have more deco than the standard 3 minutes at 15 feet, then stay there longer. Stay as long as you want.

Those that push the dive to NDL each time are probably not the type to set their computers more conservatively, but the type who look for the most liberal algorithm.

Back
Top Bottom