As a rec diver, what to do if I breach my computer's NDL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I don't have immediate plans to seek this route, but it did occur to me, and it also occurred to me that there is some irony to it. That is, we are so often cautioned to maintain a margin of safety by not pushing NDLs, yet it's apparently not easy to find a dive op that advocates using tec equipment and methods to err on the side of safety on dives that are (barely) within recreational limits. You have to make some effort. I'm encouraged to hear it is not THAT difficult to arrange.

What I meant was that I suspect the most frequented dive ops will tell you they are rec-only, and that I suspect it would take just as much (or nearly as much) effort to arrange to dive in tec gear (doubles, trimix, etc.) with them on a rec-oriented trip as it would anywhere else. I mean, I'd be happy to dive essentially the same profiles that I see in rec divers' trip reports on Truk, but I think it would be a great idea to do it on helium so that I actually remember what I saw at 130 feet. I'm sure there are dive ops and liveaboards that are geared toward tec divers, but that's not what I'm referring to.
My husband and I are planning to get tech trained. One of the primary reasons is that we plan to go to Truk in a few years.
There are definitely operators in Truk that support tech divers. Just check out all the posts that kevrumbo makes about his trips to Truk.

Many of us do to light deco (<10 minutes?) quite frequently. Personally, I have a redundant air supply to cover the obligation. I'm disappointed that so many SB posters are so inflexible in their thinking.
Its not about inflexibility, its about wether or not you have the training to do so safely or not.
If you have the planning, training and gear theres no problem, if you DON'T have the aforementioned, you better better hope there is no problem...

Many of us do to light deco (<10 minutes?) quite frequently. Personally, I have a redundant air supply to cover the obligation. I'm disappointed that so many SB posters are so inflexible in their thinking.

I'm sorry, but where is the 'flexibility of thinking' that substantiates the 'existence of a redundant air supply' as covering the sum total of requirements for safe, assured diving beyond recreational limits?

Equipment is one factor in a multi-factor solution.

It is also the incomplete answer most commonly given by those who don't properly understand the question.

We quite often mix tech and rec divers on our charters. The typical Tech 1 dive is 30 minutes bottom time and 30 minutes deco, for a run time of about 60 minutes. Most of us who are doing rec profiles do about 60 minutes in the water, so it works out beautifully.

I paid $350 for my first set of doubles, I think, and $500 for the set I ended up liking. One extra first and second stage and a couple of hoses, and you are good to go. To carry deco gas, an Al40 and another reg are required. You can easily do it all for under $1000.

Its not about inflexibility, its about wether or not you have the training to do so safely or not.
If you have the planning, training and gear theres no problem, if you DON'T have the aforementioned, you better better hope there is no problem...

I'm sorry, but where is the 'flexibility of thinking' that substantiates the 'existence of a redundant air supply' as covering the sum total of requirements for safe, assured diving beyond recreational limits?

Equipment is one factor in a multi-factor solution.

It is also the incomplete answer most commonly given by those who don't properly understand the question.

I gave incomplete information. I do careful dive and gas planning prior to the dive and have redundant gas to cover complete primary gas loss at depth. I do short decompression on only 5-6% of my dives with an average deco time of 4-5 minutes (range 2-9 minutes) in the last 3 1/2 years. I consider this well calculated and of acceptable low risk.

Good diving, Craig

I gave incomplete information. I do careful dive and gas planning prior to the dive and have redundant gas to cover complete primary gas loss at depth. I do short decompression on only 5-6% of my dives with an average deco time of 4-5 minutes (range 2-9 minutes) in the last 3 1/2 years. I consider this well calculated and of acceptable low risk.

Good diving, Craig

I'm still not sure what you mean about "flexible thinking"...

If you are trained in deco procedures and have adequate and redundant gas supplies, and if you incur a deco obligation, and satisfy that obligation, then you are doing standard technical diving. Maybe you can let us know what sort of flexibility you are recommending.

Seriously, not trying to be snarky, just not sure what is being discussed, and since new divers read these, I just wanted to clarify.

Mike

I'm still not sure what you mean about "flexible thinking"...

If you are trained in deco procedures and have adequate and redundant gas supplies, and if you incur a deco obligation, and satisfy that obligation, then you are doing standard technical diving. Maybe you can let us know what sort of flexibility you are recommending.

Seriously, not trying to be snarky, just not sure what is being discussed, and since new divers read these, I just wanted to clarify.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am not certified in decompression procedures. According to your profile, either are you. This thread is in the "Advanced" discussion rather than in new divers or basic discussion. My request for flexibility includes the wish that tech divers acknowledge that experienced rec divers may be doing short deco successfully and safely, with adequate planning and gas supplies. The pedantic view that only tech certified divers are able to safely exucute dives with minimal deco is outdated.

Good diving, Craig

I eagerly await the flak, not that I really care. SB is SB

Hi Mike,

I am not certified in decompression procedures. According to your profile, either are you. This thread is in the "Advanced" discussion rather than in new divers or basic discussion. My request for flexibility includes the wish that tech divers acknowledge that experienced rec divers may be doing short deco successfully and safely, with adequate planning and gas supplies. The pedantic view that only tech certified divers are able to safely exucute dives with minimal deco is outdated.

Good diving, Craig

I eagerly await the flak, not that I really care. SB is SB

So not only is the "flexibility" you want a free pass to dive beyond your training, you also want to freely recommend other divers to do the same?
Cause thats what youre doing...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So not only is the "flexibility" you want a free pass to dive beyond your training, you also want to freely recommend other divers to do the same?
Cause thats what youre doing...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

From your profile, doesn't appear that you are tech certified either, what are you preaching about? No, this is not about anybody else's practices, only my own. I take responsibility for me, how about you? This is what bugs me about SB, pile on, whether you're qualified to do so or not. I really appreciate the comments by qualified posters such as DevonDiver and TSandM, even if they don't fully appreciate the post.

Good diving, Craig

From your profile, doesn't appear that you are tech certified either, what are you preaching about? No, this is not about anybody else's practices, only my own. I take responsibility for me, how about you?

So, then why are you posting about those practices here? If it's just about what you personally feel that you are qualified to do, why would it matter what anyone here thinks?

This is what bugs me about SB, pile on, whether you're qualified to do so or not.

By "pile on", do you mean that it bugs you when people respond to your post? Or just when recreational divers do, because we are not qualified to hold the opinion that a diver should be trained before diving in a virtual overhead environment?

Or do you feel that people should just be able to substitute their own experience and comfort for training in general?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom