Question Argonaut Kraken secondary leak adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you are quoting from Fibonacci is a good start.

As he mentions, you will first need an IP gauge to isolate if this a 1st stage issue or a 2nd stage issue.
Can I use my standard gauge I am using some italian brand for technical diving. Not digital, nor for maintenance.

Intermediate Pressure (IP) and Cracking Effort (CE) are adjusted by the indicated parts.

I'd caution you that if you don't know what you are doing, please research regulator tuning further before adjusting things....
View attachment 860152

Basic regulator theory remains the same between single hose and double hose regulators, so a reasonably knowledgeable person should be able to adjust/tune your regulator, or if necessary properly service it.

You said your friend left, but maybe he can talk you through it. Video chat might be a great option.

maybe @Luis H or @herman can provide assistance here...
Thank you ery much for this advise.
I do not touch without professional help.
If you know anyone who can support me, would be lovely.

A correction: the nut you are calling CE only adjust the lever height, not the cracking effort. The lever height doesn't really affect the cracking effort in this case. The diaphragm in this DH has so much travel that it is recommended to adjust the lever height about 1/8" (3 mm) above the edge of the can. There is no need for the lever to be touching the diaphragm.

The spring 2nd stage force versus the IP is what will affect the cracking effort. Changing the IP is easy, but changing the 2nd stage spring force is a bit more involved.
THX

I measured and verified what you @Luis H wrote:

The diaphragm in this DH has so much travel that it is recommended to adjust the lever height about 1/8" (3 mm) above the edge of the can.

My measurements indicates more than 3 mm - based on my measurement it is between 5,7 mm (including 1,2 mm for the CD i used as a measurement help). Attached two photos where I tried to measure.

=> What shall I do?

1725691738791.jpeg

1725691765417.jpeg

Other question: the Argonaut Kraken Mouthpiece has this function of closing off at surface etc. by twisting the mouthpiece. This is nealry impossible. Why? I have technically a brand-new Kraken.

However - in my case it is impossible to do this even with brute force. I am aware that there is a screw and I thought this might be an issue related with this screw.
So I dismantled and fit it together. It worked - for a moment. After some minutes and after some hours - again: the same issue.
It seems to be lubricated.

Who can give me an advise?

Can I use my standard gauge I am using some italian brand for technical diving. Not digital, nor for maintenance.
You can use any air pressure gauge with the proper precision that you can hook up to your low pressure port . Usually around 15 Bar full scale. A HP gauge will not work.
In my experience the DSV mouthpiece O-rings must be heavily lubed to move smoothly. Especially the rectangular one around the air outlet. The screw is for limiting rotation and does not effect tension.

Just to be sure: the Kraken is free flowing on dry land when hooked up? If so, is it also free flowing with the can split and the diaphragm removed?

Other question: the Argonaut Kraken Mouthpiece has this function of closing off at surface etc. by twisting the mouthpiece. This is nealry impossible. Why? I have technically a brand-new Kraken.

However - in my case it is impossible to do this even with brute force. I am aware that there is a screw and I thought this might be an issue related with this screw.
So I dismantled and fit it together. It worked - for a moment. After some minutes and after some hours - again: the same issue.
It seems to be lubricated.

Who can give me an advise?

There is a known issue where the standard 70 Duro (Shore A) o-rings have a tendency to bond to the walls of the DSV in storage despite being well lubricated… happened to my Kraken too!
The fix is to swap out the o-rings for softer 50 Duro ones.
Covered in part here along with exploded diagrams:

You need one of these…

There is an known issue where the standard 70 Duro (Shore A) o-rings have a tendency to bond to the walls of the DSV in storage despite being well lubricated… happened to my Kraken too!
The fix is to swap out the o-rings for softer 50 Duro ones.
Covered in part here along with exploded diagrams:
THANK YOU!
can you tell me which diameter and so on.
I live in China, so it is difficult for me to find exactly teh right one.

You can use any air pressure gauge with the proper precision that you can hook up to your low pressure port . Usually around 15 Bar full scale. A HP gauge will not work.
In my experience the DSV mouthpiece O-rings must be heavily lubed to move smoothly. Especially the rectangular one around the air outlet. The screw is for limiting rotation and does not effect tension.

Just to be sure: the Kraken is free flowing on dry land when hooked up? If so, is it also free flowing with the can split and the diaphragm removed?
So I cannot use my normal HP prressure gauge. What si the name of the pressure gauge I need to buy?

It is fleeflwoing when it is on the water surface.

THANK YOU!
can you tell me which diameter and so on.
I live in China, so it is difficult for me to find exactly teh right one.
AS-568-027 50 Duro
AS-568-028 50 Duro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom