Question Argonaut Kraken secondary leak adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I cannot use my normal HP prressure gauge. What si the name of the pressure gauge I need to buy?

It is fleeflwoing when it is on the water surface.
Yes it will free flow while you are on the water surface as the can dips into the water. This is normal. Unless you can confirm the reg is free flowing on the beach, boat or bench, totally out of the water when you hook it to the tank, we're not getting anywhere.

Does the reg free flow when you initially hook it up to the tank and turn the air on??

There is an known issue where the standard 70 Duro (Shore A) o-rings have a tendency to bond to the walls of the DSV in storage despite being well lubricated… happened to my Kraken too!
The fix is to swap out the o-rings for softer 50 Duro ones.
Covered in part here along with exploded diagrams:

It is OK to use 50 durometer O-rings, but it is far more important to use the correct silicone lubricant.

I have always use (and continue to use) standard 70 durometer O-rings, but I make sure they are well lubricated with silicone grease.

Never use the O2 compatible grease (Like Christo Lube or Tribo Lube, or anything like that). You can only use good, high quality silicone grease to lubricate these O-rings.

I never had any issues with lubrication of the DSV when using silicone grease. Silicone lubricant does not separate like the O2 compatible grease. Correct lubrication, with good quality silicone grease, is the key factor for this application.

Yes it will free flow while you are on the water surface as the can dips into the water. This is normal. Unless you can confirm the reg is free flowing on the beach, boat or bench, totally out of the water when you hook it to the tank, we're not getting anywhere.

Does the reg free flow when you initially hook it up to the tank and turn the air on??

In addition, does it free-flow or leak when the front cover is off?

No it doesn't.
but underwater the pressure is to high, it is pumping literally the air in the lungs...

AS-568-027 50 Duro
AS-568-028 50 Duro

THANK YOU

THX

I measured and verified what you @Luis H wrote:

The diaphragm in this DH has so much travel that it is recommended to adjust the lever height about 1/8" (3 mm) above the edge of the can.

My measurements indicates more than 3 mm - based on my measurement it is between 5,7 mm (including 1,2 mm for the CD i used as a measurement help). Attached two photos where I tried to measure.

=> What shall I do?

View attachment 860166
View attachment 860167
@louis
What you are quoting from Fibonacci is a good start.

As he mentions, you will first need an IP gauge to isolate if this a 1st stage issue or a 2nd stage issue.
I measured and it is more than 3 mm it roughly 5,7 mm above

Very important: did you test the lever height when the regulator was pressurized? The lever height will drop when the regulator is pressurized, so you have to test it under pressure.

If you tested it when it was pressurized and the lever is that high, You could lower the lever by a couple of millimeter, but if it is not free-flowing out of the water, it is not going to make much difference.

You have to be careful when you lower the lever. You cannot just rotate the nut. you have to hold the seat carrier and keep it from rotating. To hold the seat carrier from rotating, there is a slot on the seat carrier. You can see the slot right in the middle of the nut.

There is a special tool that has a screw diver in the center and hex nut driver around it, that makes this adjustment extremely easy, but it can easily be done with a small screw driver and an open end 1/4" nut driver.

If you use the small screwdriver to hold the seat from rotating and the open end 1/4 inch nut driver, just be careful and gentle. You do not want to allow the seat to rotate, but you also don't want to push hard on it.

It takes very little nut rotation to move the level end up and down.

No it doesn't.
but underwater the pressure is to high, it is pumping literally the air in the lungs...

I am not sure what you mean by that. This is a demand valve, if it is malfunctioning, it can free flow, but it will not pump air into your lungs, air would escape just out the exhaust...

You can have some positive pressure sensation in your mouth when you are on your back (with the regulator below you), but the differential is just the inches of water (or millimeters of water column).

First of all get an Intermediate Pressure (IP) gauge and plug it into the BC hose.
IP should be ~135psi
Cycle a few times to see if it locks up crisply then leave it pressurised and check in 5 mins then 30 mins.
If your secondary is leaking and others connected are too it’s possible the IP is too high (easily adjusted) or there is damage or wear to the HP seat which allows the IP to leak and drift up to the point where the LP seat setting is overcome and vents. So the reg needs a full service, there are several posts on the VDH website on how to do this quite straightforward.
The Kraken generally uses modern Aqualung parts, if the HP seat needs replacing I strongly suggest only using the OEM Blue HP seat not the aftermarket Black Trident alternative.
Some more info in this thread:

Reactions: HJW
Very important: did you test the lever height when the regulator was pressurized? The lever height will drop when the regulator is pressurized, so you have to test it under pressure.

If you tested it when it was pressurized and the lever is that high, You could lower the lever by a couple of millimeter, but if it is not free-flowing out of the water, it is not going to make much difference.

You have to be careful when you lower the lever. You cannot just rotate the nut. you have to hold the seat carrier and keep it from rotating. To hold the seat carrier from rotating, there is a slot on the seat carrier. You can see the slot right in the middle of the nut.

There is a special tool that has a screw diver in the center and hex nut driver around it, that makes this adjustment extremely easy, but it can easily be done with a small screw driver and an open end 1/4" nut driver.

If you use the small screwdriver to hold the seat from rotating and the open end 1/4 inch nut driver, just be careful and gentle. You do not want to allow the seat to rotate, but you also don't want to push hard on it.

It takes very little nut rotation to move the level end up and down.
If you need seats, TSM has the blue AL seats. It is what I use…

Reactions: HJW

Back
Top Bottom