Question Argonaut Kraken secondary leak adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken uses a standard AL high pressure seat. There are aftermarket seats and most likely your regulator may have the Trident replacement part seat. These work okay but often will begin to leak after some use just as yours does. Of course, even the AL part can leak in time, things do wear out. The AL HP seat is a brilliant crystal blue, the aftermarket part is a dull black face. An Aqua Lung shop should have the tools and parts as has been mentioned. The only different part off the top of my head internally in the first stage is the push pin is longer than the Conshelf first due to the replaceable volcano orifice in the Kraken.

While not the approach I would normally take, it's possible to replace just the HP seat, they should not be hard to find as 90% of all UDS/AL regs in the last 60 or so years have used the same seat. The hard part is getting the springs and balance chamber back in without the proper tools. IT IS NOT EASY....not that I have ever tried. :) Any AL shop will have the seats and tools but if you can get your hands on any AL service kit, the balance chamber orings are in it, if I had it apart I would also replace them. You can use a Titan/Conshelf manual for guidance , the AK is basically a funny looking Titan. To reset the IP, you must take the cans apart and then adjust the large adjustment slot in the middle of the reg, same way (and looks a lot like) you would a Conshelf/Titan.
Check out my recent post.

RK

Okay, as I read this problem, the Kraken is not leaking, but the secondary octopus regulator is leaking. The check of the interstate pressure on the Kraken showed it to be 200 psig. But the suggested interstage pressure is supposed to be 135 psig. This should be a simple adjustment of the interstate pressure. You do not have to replace any component, from my reading of this situation.

I do not have a Kraken, and so am not familiar with the procedure to adjust the interstage pressure. However, if it is the same as the Aqualung single hose regulators, it is a simply process. Usually there is a screw in the top of the first stage with either a slot for a screwdriver or an Allen wrench fitting. Loosen that screw (turn counter-clockwise) to decrease the interstate pressure, and tighten it by turning that screw clockwise.

You’ll have to take the case apart to access that screw, but on the Kraken that is pretty easy.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 52
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom