• Yes

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 50.0%
  • Working on it, or intend to soon...

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I ask for a couple of reasons...

I just signed up for a week on the T+C Explorer and I asked about solo diving. Mrs. Stoo is unlikely to want to do five dives a day, and I want to max out my time in the water. They told me that if I was solo-certified, and properly equipped (including a pony, which they will rent...) they were normally fine with it, subject to the DMs approval.

The other reason I thought about this is that we had a fatality near Toronto this weekend and the victim was engaged in a solo-certification course dive. The cause of the accident is under investigation so I won't say anything more than that...

I am not currently certified, but an SDI Instructor friend has offered to "bless" me prior to my trip! (My Instructor's is through NAUI, and in "sustaining" mode currently...

So.... Are you or are you not certified for self-abuse... err... solo diving???

Most of the diving I've done since 1961 has been solo, but I'm not solo certified (although some have said I could easily teach the class). So far I have not considered a solo cert since it does not seem to be well recognized in areas I travel. Generally when I'm in a region I am unfamiliar with, I prefer diving with a buddy anyway... and I don't travel with my tanks so unless I can rent a pony at the location, I wouldn't be equipped to solo dive anyway.

When I started solo diving, there was no certification. I think SDI started theirs in 1999. I've never even thought of getting a solo certification. Like Bill, when I am in a region unfamiliar, I prefer diving with a buddy.

Generally, when on vacation and doing repetitive diving with the same operator, it takes a dive for the crew to "check us out". After the first dive we are usually told to do whatever we want. We had 16 people in Saba for a dive trip. On the second dive the DM said, "OK, those of you who want the tour of the area meet me at the anchor line. Everyone else follow your computer and be back on the boat..." The following DM got to the anchor line and looked at the other DM shaking his head... They were the only two at the anchor line :)

I never seen the need for AOW card for over 25 years. Then all the dive boats operators started required it. Now getting the solo card appear to be the next necessary card.

I never seen the need for AOW card for over 25 years. Then all the dive boats operators started required it. Now getting the solo card appear to be the next necessary card.

That's exactly my situation. I would guess I have logged about 2500 solo dives, but the Explorer website says I gotta have a Solo card so I guess I'll get one. They do rent ponys so I don't think I'll take my 40 with me!

I just don't see Mrs. Stoo making it through 5 dives a day... And I really prefer to not have a buddy assigned.

In reality, my guess is that the DMs will pretty much ignore it but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Certified only to satisfy dive boat operators who allow solo but require a card.

Otherwise I would not be "certified."

Not certified ... not planning to get certified just to satisfy some silly boat rule ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Stoo,

Doppler can vouch for me, I'll be "good" in August.

Why bother? -so I can practice caving skills at Dutch without being thrown out by the carnival operators.

Not certified, don't see any reason to get another merit badge as I rarely find a dive boat that requires it. Most either don't care at all, don't care once they talk with you and realize you are experienced or plain don't allow solo.

If I find time and money for another class, it would be some variation of Fundies where I will learn something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom