Are there any GLBT divers/groups/clubs out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

US. Sex, politics and religion are things people do not discuss. Esp. not on the dive boat.

For me I don't care if my dive buddy is male, female, GLBT, republican, democrat, Christian, Muslim, Jew or an atheist. It doesn't matter. And the later is the point. It doesn't matter what your sexual, political, or religions orientation is when it comes to diving.

Well that's odd. The only time I have been on a boat with Americans (me and my buddy were the only non-Americans), was in Fiji and I remember *very* heated political discussions :D About public health care, the treatment of African Americans, and gay marriage, and a few other topics.

Believe it or not I probably have more experience with discrimination than many GLBT people. Being a proud member of the most distrusted minority in USA. Even been discriminated by GLBT people. (On the other hand I haven't seen it the other way around.)

Given you have been discriminated against as an atheist I am surprised you are not sympathetic to the LGBT cause. LGBT people also suffer a great deal of discrimination and it doesn't matter if other people get it worse, LGBT people still are discriminated against and that is wrong!

Believe it or not I probably have more experience with discrimination than many GLBT people. Being a proud member of the most distrusted minority in USA.

Serial killers? Child rapists? Dive shop owners?

Well that's odd. The only time I have been on a boat with Americans (me and my buddy were the only non-Americans), was in Fiji and I remember *very* heated political discussions :D About public health care, the treatment of African Americans, and gay marriage, and a few other topics.

Your bigotry is well founded.

It's true. Every single American is exactly like the ones you met in Fiji.

It's true. Every single American is exactly like the ones you met in Fiji.

Hahaha. I wasn't saying ALL Americans are like that. It was a response to iztok saying that Americans just don't talk about politics on dive boats. :) It is funny as the only time I've dived with Americans, they talked about politics heaps.

My point being, you cannot generalise about people. :wink:

Being an atheist here in the US is tough. I've heard terrible things said about them. Though I've heard very little come from the LGBT community as most of the athiests (but not all) are LGBT. However, if you are an atheist you can serve openly in the military, marry the person you love in every state and have the federal government recognize your marriage. Still a lot of states you can be legally fired from your job for being LGBT but none where it's legal to fire an atheist.

I don't want to start a contest about which is worse discrimination is wrong period.

As far as the most distrusted minority here in the US I used to be a member. But I gave up being a lawyer to do honest work.

Hopefully our mutual love of diving will help bring us all together and respect each other.

Hmm...it was an issue back in 2002. Then it seems to have died down for eight years. Then it came back up in 2010. I wonder what could have happened in during those 8 years to have let the issue settle down?

Maybe the whole "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" approach actually worked?

:shocked2:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

There is such a thing as TMI, I really don't want to know what someone does in the privacy of their bedroom, with who, how, or where they park their sausage, unless it's really really weird and it is very unlikely that I ever heard of it. Gerbils for example.

On a dive boat no one needs/wants to know what you do in the bedroom or your preferences

Last edited:
There is such a thing as TMI, I really don't want to know what someone does in the privacy of their bedroom, with who, how, or where they park their sausage, unless it's really really weird and it is very unlikely that I ever heard of it. Gerbils for example.

On a dive boat no one needs/wants to know what you do in the bedroom or your preferences

I'm not sure at all how this is relevant to the topic which is discussing if there are LGBT groups about.

But now that you've mentioned it, so are you arguing that people shouldn't mention their partners at all in any way shape or form? Or if they have brought their partners along, they shouldn't hold hands or any other kind of physical affection, talk about their life together, talk about the nature of their relationship (so no 'this is my wife'), or do anything else at all that indicates either their preference for members of the opposite sex or anything about their partner?

I'd be interested to see a boat where no one does this because I see it all the time on boats. Only straight people though, of course!

But if I ever run into you on a boat I certainly won't be discussing where I park my sausage, so don't stress.

It doesn't matter what your sexual, political, or religions orientation is when it comes to diving.
I'm not so sure, iztok. Somebody with a sincerely held belief in heaven might be a little bit more prone to risk than I am--I mean, I view this life as my last chance, so I don't have a lot to look forward to if I don't survive a dive. My (current) version of heaven is the post-dive hammock stretched between two trees on the beach. (Yes, I've gotten old.) :D

I'm not sure at all how this is relevant to the topic which is discussing if there are LGBT groups about.

But now that you've mentioned it, so are you arguing that people shouldn't mention their partners at all in any way shape or form? Or if they have brought their partners along, they shouldn't hold hands or any other kind of physical affection, talk about their life together, talk about the nature of their relationship (so no 'this is my wife'), or do anything else at all that indicates either their preference for members of the opposite sex or anything about their partner?

I'd be interested to see a boat where no one does this because I see it all the time on boats. Only straight people though, of course!

But if I ever run into you on a boat I certainly won't be discussing where I park my sausage, so don't stress.

I think you should view his/her comment regarding "Gerbils" and see he/ she is a mirthfull Friend of Nancy.

At least I thought it was funny.

/gay as the make em'

I think you should view his/her comment regarding "Gerbils" and see he/ she is a mirthfull Friend of Nancy.

At least I thought it was funny.

/gay as the make em'

Fair nuff. Maybe I took it the wrong way... Just struck me as similiar to those who say if only LGBT people kept quiet about their preferences then people wouldn't care...

(so no 'this is my wife'), or do anything else at all that indicates either their preference for members of the opposite sex or anything about their partner?
One of my reasons for wholeheartedly supporting unrestricted access to marriage is so that I can once again introduce my business partners as "partner," instead of, "This is Steve, my, uh, partner, I mean, er, associate with an equal share in the proceeds, assets, and liabilities of our business. Not our business, a business, one that we both own together...uh, not together, but jointly and severally, uh, geez, we both have girlfriends--here, I have pictures, take a look." :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom