Are rebreathers safe to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gehadoski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

I heard from my friends that diving with rebreathers is not safe. But actually I doubt it caue organizations are offering certificates for rebeather. So I am alittle confused.

Also if there is any website that can provide me with more information about rebreather please tell me where it is.

A rebreather has more ways to get you in trouble than an open circuit rig.

All of the problems of rebreathers can be handled or prevented to a reasonable standard of safety but this does require a major commitment to training and procedures by the diver.

Any carelessness or skipping of checks or procedures can be fatal.

For a basic overview read Richard Pyle's article, "A Learner's Guide To Closed-Circuit Rebreather Operations."
http://www.metacut.com/rebreathers/RichPyleArticle_1.htm

We have a few people at our shop wanting to get into rebreather diving and we're giving them the opportunity.

Lots of ways to mess up so rebreather diving is something where you need to really slow down and do everything, like, don't forget to turn your computer on.

No.
Nothing is safe to dive with.
Any time you are underwater you are at risk.
It is how you choose to manage that risk that will determine whether you can reduce it to a level you consider "safe."
Rick

I don't have any experience with rebreathers but my prediction is that all the current records are going to get blown away by divers on rebreathers.

Also according to divers I know who dive CCR you need to spend lots of time on them. The emergency procedures must be practiced on a regular basis and it's way different then diving OC. You don't do it casually. You do it or you don't.

Also, especially CCR (as apposed to SCR), isn't for those who don't have the dicipline to go through a thorough check list each and everytime they dive.

The last thing that sticks in my mind is that many rebreather divers want a way to monitor their PPO2 (more than one way is best) rather than to rely on orifices.

Non-surface supplid diving started with rebreathers and I think that's where it's going to end up.

I wouldn't get into them unless I had the need and the commitment.

gehadoski:
Hi all

I heard from my friends that diving with rebreathers is not safe. But actually I doubt it caue organizations are offering certificates for rebeather. So I am alittle confused.

Also if there is any website that can provide me with more information about rebreather please tell me where it is.

This is one of those posts that has to make you wonder ...

Is Tom Ridge watching this train of threads?

Any of you D.C. divers have an inside track? Cornfed, I thought you work at Langley?? What do you think?

Diver
Euthanasia
Assistance
Device

DEAD

Is RB diving safe? No.
Then again Life ain't safe. You won't get out of it alive. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom