Are rebreathers safe to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
Don't be sad, mole, someone's bound to make a scrubber for you sooner or later.

Tracy Robinette of Divematics USA is making a larger radial-style scrubber for my Expedition Inspiration. He can be contacted at <www.divenet.com/divematics> or at 714-773-5909 from 0900 to 1700 Mon thru Fri (Pac Coast time zone)!

--------And what the heck is this caca about Scotland???----You bluidy Sassenachs!!!!!!!!!!!----------------------

BigJetDriver69:
Tracy Robinette of Divematics USA is making a larger radial-style scrubber for my Expedition Inspiration.
A complete replacement scrubber and insert? Poor mole, now he has to decide on a new scrubber for the Molespiration or a souped up diesel for the Mole Hill Rover. :11:
And what the heck is this caca about Scotland???
Mole's stuck there and not too happy about it. From his site:
I'm currently stuck in Scotland with work, what should have been a 1 month contract has turned into what seems like a lifetime

How come nobody ever mentions that a rebreather and OC is still SCUBA? Not to mention the SCR is a completly mechanical unit and while it has a few more considerations in my opinion is just as safe as OC. I don't dive an CCR and don't plan to. I like computers but not to bet my life on. The SCR is the future of diving in my opinion, and that is what an opinion is, mine. The SCR is efficient, easy to use, and requires not much more maintainence than OC when it is cared for properly. I guess some people may not put as much attention to their cleaning and maintainence as I do to my OC equipment. Anyway, it seems that people mention a rebreather and everyone starts talking about a CCR, here is my worthless advice, forget the CCR and look at the SCR. It is fun, it is quiet and it is efficient. Of course, I believe that all divers are really gadget-o-philes at heart anyway.

SamDiver14:
(1) Here is my worthless advice, forget the CCR and look at the SCR.

(2) It is fun, it is quiet and it is efficient.

(3) Of course, I believe that all divers are really gadget-o-philes at heart anyway.

(1) It depends upon your intended depth range and gas utilization needs. Your needs may rquire a CCR. There are some jobs that a SCR cannot do.

(2) True, but there are added considerations which require training to handle. Not a problem, just something to consider.

(3) Absolutely true! No argument!

caveseeker7:
A complete replacement scrubber and insert? Poor mole, now he has to decide on a new scrubber for the Molespiration or a souped up diesel for the Mole Hill Rover. :11:
[/B]

Now we can hear the evil cackling of bankers as The Mad Mole pleads with them so that he can obtain BOTH. :11:

IMO,

assisted suicide machines in the hands of most unknowing divers.

They can be useful, but require more effort and dedication than most divers (including myself) put into maintaining dive gear.

If your idea of equipment maintainance is like mine (checking for cockroaches and spiderweb removal prior to a dive), then steer clear of rebreathers.

cancun mark:
If your idea of equipment maintainance is like mine (checking for cockroaches and spiderweb removal prior to a dive), then steer clear of rebreathers.

The above is absolutely true. If I even THOUGHT that one of my students had that kind of attitude toward his equipment, I would certainly refuse to let him take posession of the unit.

As for the writer of the above, I don't think I would admit in public that I was knowingly in the running for the next "Darwin Award" !!!! :11:

SamDiver14:
How come nobody ever mentions that a rebreather and OC is still SCUBA? Not to mention the SCR is a completly mechanical unit and while it has a few more considerations in my opinion is just as safe as OC.
As was explained in an article I read somewhere (I think it was in Scuba Diving magazine) you can pick up a SCR for about the price of a BC/reg/computer, and the tank it replaces. I did a quick google search and found that the Drager Ray unit retails for around $2K. That's a low-end unit, and that price probably doesn't include all the bells and whistles, of course. A rebreather specialty course is also an (expensive) added cost.

I just signed up for an opportunity to dive with the Drager Dolphin at a demo day near Seattle next month. That should be fun. I know very little about rebreathers, and this looked like a no/low-risk way to try one out in a real dive.

SamDiver14:
Of course, I believe that all divers are really gadget-o-philes at heart anyway.
yea, well, except the DIR folks of course :)

I think breather are a tool and should not be a gadget.
And like you use a hammer for differnt purposes than a wrench (usualy at least) you use a breather as a gas-extension-tool if it´s advantages outweighs its disadvantages.

3 weeks ago a well know polnish cavediver died in shallow water (less than 30ft) in germany with his eccr, another german diver almost died in Egypt and was rescued, while he passed out beeing on the loop of his eccr when clipping on a stage-tank.
So, better be careful with all breathers...

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom