Are Force Fins really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok this has been hashed out before and i have made these comments to some other people on this board before, and dont even anybody say im being paid by FF to say this because i like them, but there not the only fins i use i also have some Tigers, , mares avanti, Aries velocities, and Space Frogs, and yes i have tried jets and didnt like them because they caused my toes to get crammed into the foot pocket, and splits all the designs are copies of Bob Evans Foil force fin from several years ago, even ask the owner of bio fin, because he got the idea from bab as they were friends at the time.

Walter, how is it a bicycle kick if you are only from the knee down to kick, and also there not that bad because i use my pros to frog kick in most of the time, along with the other fins i own.

WW- im not going to touch that leg remark because i have made a comment before and it wasnt worth it, but works for some people might not for the rest.

Deep6 when did rodales even review the force fins in the past year, because it wasnt at the recent fin test in cozy because i saw that group and saw how they ran the fin test and that would have been the most unscientific, biased test i have ever seen in my life, honestly how can you do a unbiased testing of a fin in one dive in a current with divers who already have a bias as to what they like and dont.

cave seeker i know some people in my area who are the same way and there common complaint about the jets was they were getting there toes smashed and cramped with the jets where they didnt with the pros.

O-Ring: to back up in pros or all force fins you simply only uses your ankles this is by trying to put your toes on your shin. Also how are they so expensive there no more expensive then say a pair of jets, volos/tigers, or splits <shudder> i think i paid roughly 110 for my last pair, and the whiskers arent a $300 there like 50 on the extras no more expensive then spring straps which arent needed on FF

smrtblnddiver - they dont look like duck feet, because they look like a fishes tail because thats how they work. on the down stroke of the fin is were you get your forward movement, and then on the back swing because the fins are curved you get less resistance so less energy used

ew1usnr- that price is about right but there are discounts beyong that, and for the bungies straps those are a personal choice just like spring straps as for the speed pods, shark teeth or whiskers those are options for the extra force only and those option you can only use one at the time and whiskers are what i use because if you click them to the inside of the fin it increases the resistance of the fin but channels the water through the fin faster oving you through the water quicker, this effect is similar to getting the fin in the delta material(read on) . finally thetan delta material is super stiff so unless you have calves of steel the regualr material would be reccomended

MWpowell- its called bungie straps because of the waythe fins are designed and stay onyour foot without the need of straps, they are just there for safety, try it some time you get a chance to try them, try it with out the fins straps they do stay on, as i found out in grand cayman this past summer when i forgot to secure my heel straps and did a 45 minute dive and they didnt come off and i didnt notice it until i got back on the boats ladder when i went to move the strap and it was onthe bottom of the fin instead of on my heal.

you know this bashing of people on certain brands is like GI3's comments on how not diving a certain way is going to get you killed, yeah there are people who love certain things that i wouldnt use but you dont see me bashing it into the ground because its fun or what other people are doing.

YMMV

O-ring:
IMHO, force fins are like lotteries and spare airs...a tax on the gullible.

Ya, but at least a couple of people win the lottery! and Spare Airs work great for fixing flats. So I guess a couple of people could like the FF.

I was diving the Grove off Largo once, and the videographer was wearing a set of FF. She got blown off the wreck by the current, surfaced at a neighboring boat. She threw the things in the trash at the dock. She wouldn't even let me dumpster dive to get some eBay dollars!

Good wrap-up Scubatooth. I do find it interesting that several of the negative posters have no experience with the fins yet have turned the simple question for information into a rah rah GUE, Jets with springs posting. And after inspecting my scuba stash I found an old pair of SP Mark X. I remember they never fit my dry suits 20 years ago when giving to me so I can’t say how they work.

I think the jets thing is part of the whole retro craze. Next horseshoe BC’s will be the craze if the GUE, DIR guys thinks its the thing.

I have no idea whether or not Force Fins work or not, nor do I care. I do not feel comfortable buying from a company that uses customer testimonialsto give sideways answers to their FAQ's.

examples:

When I dive with Force Fins will I burn less air?

"I was diving with a couple of friends. I was wearing a pair of Foil Force and I didn't realize how fast I was traveling. When I turned around, my friends were way off in the distance. They were surfacing because they were running low on air trying to keep up with me. So I had to surface early, with plenty of air left."

Can you use alternate kicks such as , and frog kick with Force Fins?

I really like the Tan Delta Excellerating Force Fins because they are real attention grabbers and they are great for sculling."

nwdiver2:
Good wrap-up Scubatooth. I do find it interesting that several of the negative posters have no experience with the fins yet have turned the simple question for information into a rah rah GUE, Jets with springs posting. And after inspecting my scuba stash I found an old pair of SP Mark X. I remember they never fit my dry suits 20 years ago when giving to me so I can’t say how they work.

I think the jets thing is part of the whole retro craze. Next horseshoe BC’s will be the craze if the GUE, DIR guys thinks its the thing.

Umm. I think you were the first to mention GUE. Can you point out a previous post that did so?

nwdiver2:

About what I would have expected. Since you have no legs to stand on (or fins to kick with), you try to turn it into another DIR vs strokes fight.

In reality "Jets with springs" have nothing to do with the current discussion. You would be better off with full foot USD fins bought in a grocery store than with your fin of choice (yea, down here they sell USD in grocery stores).

I'm not GUE, I'm not DIR, and I have tried force fins. I don't fit your excuse but I still say they're garbage. You, and all the other proponents who are so up in arms, simply can't dive with what I consider real divers. You can't keep up. Be sure to check the current before you jump in, or tie yourself to the boat :)

Sorry but that's reality.

WW

WreckWriter:
You, and all the other proponents who are so up in arms, simply can't dive with what I consider real divers. You can't keep up.

Ah, come on WW, don't beat around the bush. Tell em what your really thinkin'. LOL

They could just hang a set of FF on their harness for backup fins. They're small and it would look way cool! Better yet, put each one on it's own retractor. That way they're streamlined and safetied.

Bubbles, where are my bubbles.... sweet bubbles, my bubbles....

DIR, GUE = Jets with springs, No.

And for currents come to BC for real current diving I have no problem in real currents with Force Fins.

(Disclaimer: 1. I don't currently use FFs. 2. I think everyone should use what they want without reproach.)

Don't some or many Navy SEALs use FFs?

Why?

-=[Gabe]=-
Dive More in '04!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom