Are Force Fins really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question was asked and I answered it honestly. Then some people who should be over at rec.scuba, jumped all over me and dumped on my credibility. I answered the question that was asked. I didn’t make comments that were not to the question and I didn’t deserve to be dumped on.

nwdiver2:
A question was asked and I answered it honestly. Then some people who should be over at rec.scuba, jumped all over me and dumped on my credibility. I answered the question that was asked. I didn’t make comments that were not to the question and I didn’t deserve to be dumped on.

Excuse me? That's a load of garbage.

Here's what you said:

"I do find it interesting that several of the negative posters have no experience with the fins yet have turned the simple question for information into a rah rah GUE, Jets with springs posting."

Where does that answer the question that was asked? The question was force fins, not GUE, remember?

nwdiver2:

I'll go ahead and assume that this little bust is intended primarily for me, ok?

Here's the problem: you didn't answer honestly. I know this because I've used the equipment in question. The fins are sub-standard, its that simple. Sure, that's "my opinion" but its based on A) using them and B) diving with others who were using them.

You make statements like "my buddy couldn't keep up with me" (that's paraphrased so don't bother saying you didn't say it). That's complete nonsense. You're not telling the truth or you're leaving something out, its that simple.

I can post saying that I can outswim a guy in free-diving fins while I'm wearing combat boots. Do I have the right to do that and to expect nobody to calll BS? That's basically what you're doing.

Go ahead, complain to the mods that I'm abusing you. I'm sure most of them will welcome your complaint. In the meantime, don't expect to talk trash and not be called on it.

WW

Hate to break it to you know it alls but any Navy diver can use whatever fins that get the job done so YES...the Teams (SEALS/UDT) can and some do use Bob's Force fins. They fit over boots easier and come off fast and easy. You have to learn how to kick. I hate um. I use splits. I have had force, splits, jets, rockets, duckfeet issued in my 20 plus career. Goes for the mask as well.

Besides whatever the ANU (Authorized for Navy Diving) has on it we dive...and yes...Bobby's force fins are on the list.

DFC5343:
Hate to break it to you know it alls but WE can use whatever fins we so please so YES...the Teams (SEALS/UDT) can and some do use Bob's Force fins. They fit over boots easier and come off fast and easy. You have to learn how to kick. I hate um. I use splits. I have had force, splits, jets, rockets, duckfeet issued in my 20 plus career. Goes for the mask as well.

BTW mempitot...UDKS ( U Don't Know ****e) You say you have a "couple in the family" but I too have been around the Teams for awhile. Maybe "your" friends don't but I have dove with a few that have and like them and swear by them. Besides whatever the ANU (Authorized for Navy Diving) has on it we dive...and yes...Bobby's force fins are on the list.

If one fin is less efficient than the other, but it is being used by a team member, couldn't that be a detriment to the team if it slows someone down? Also, is it each man to himself, or does the team leader say what approaved equipment will be used on any given operation (for uniformity)?

Thanks,

Training will dictate what works best for the Team and individuals. You have to make the gear work for the objective. Like I said the force fins have and are being used. Its no secret. The tasks at hand are getting done. Do you need a "Navy SEAL of Approval" to believe something is being used? Its up to the job and how each person can do it. Whatever the gear the job gets done.

Uncle Pug...nope. 5343 is a deepsea diver second class. I am diving support for a unspecific area of operondi. Any other questions answered offline.

For the record since I am not a SEAL. But please spare the world with "I know a SEAL and they use whatever"...even the watch is a POS.

FYI The ANU can be found at www.supsalv.org

Fins are Catagory 3...Divers preference.

DFC5343,

This is interesting. This quote from another post doesn't show up in the original poster's post.

"BTW mempitot...UDKS ( U Don't Know ****e) You say you have a "couple in the family" but I too have been around the Teams for awhile. Maybe "your" friends don't but I have dove with a few that have and like them and swear by them. Besides whatever the ANU (Authorized for Navy Diving) has on it we dive...and yes...Bobby's force fins are on the list."

My brother-in-law is a BUDS instructor. My cousin was a Team 6 member until 1 year ago. I may not know *****, but they do. I called my brother and asked him if anyone (SEAL's) is using them 'operationally' and he said NO Way!

I flew MC-130 Talon II's for 3 years. I know a 'few' SEAL's. I've never, never, never, dropped one wearing FF's. But hey, if you say so, then maybe. UDT and SEAL's don't neccesarily dive the same equip. You know better. Before you try to slam me, maybe you'd better call me and trade shop.

One of my better friends in SE FL is an ex-Brazilian special ops guy. He actually did a joint training program under my brother. He is now a commercial diver out of Miami. He laughs at the whole thread too.

And since anything else isn't gonna be typed on a public board I can say one more time...DIVER PREFERENCE, CAT3. This means every diver has a CHOICE. And guess what some like them, I hate them. Some are DIVING them most are not. Open your mind guy. Not a SEAL doesn't mean I ain't there.

BTW I REALLY hate the "I know a SEAL" statement. If you do maybe some PERSEC on your part about saying someone is DEVGRU or a instructor. Run that by your boys. I can bet you will get a surf check from them for publiclly saying so. Read disclaimer below.

My only question here which should qualify the value of the FF is do any of the armed forces use these fins for combat ops, where reliabity and performance really counts?

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom