Are Force Fins really that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raypau38

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking through all the pages here and I notice that Force fins are not loved. Are they really that Bad?

There are many fans of Force Fins. Force Fins will work even when you have bad technique. Personally, I believe people should correct technique, but other opinions differ.

fins are one of those items that are very personal like a mask, you have to find a particular one that suits you. some people will swear by jet fins saying they are the best you can buy, or split fins or force fins or whatever...

force fins seem to get a bad rap on this board for a few reasons

1. they look funny, and some people would never swim around with funny looking fins on their feet.
2. they require a different style kick to make full use of their potential, a standard kick like with longer stiffer fins doesn't make use of the snap action that is part of the power delivery.
3. people judge equipment here based on hearsay and looks.
4. most divers who bash force fins have never strapped on a set, and some of the few who do try them, do so without proper instruction on the different style of kick. So they just swim around kicking like hell and not getting anywhere better then if they used regular fins.

if you are interested in buying force fins, seek out someone who has them, uses them on a regular basis, and knows what style of kick is proper with force fins. then beg them to let you try them with a little teaching on how to kick. the force fin website also has a few little video clips that show them in action. watch the clips and look at the bent knee kick they use in the video.

and as Obi wan kenobi said "use the Force (fin)"

"look at the bent knee kick they use in the video" = bicycling = "Force Fins will work even when you have bad technique."

Walter:
"Force Fins will work even when you have bad technique."

Actually they will work only if you have bad technique.

And yes, I've tried them. Personally I would rather go without fins than to wear a pair again.

WW

The biggest downside I know is....they are one heck of an expensive experiment as I have never found a shop that had them AND a pool you could try them out in first before plunking down the big bucks for fins.

Yes, they are that bad. I know some people who use them, but I just cant understand how they do. yes, I have tried them as well, and I hate them...

d33ps1x:
I burned them. Literally.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

I just took them off, and threw them as hard as I could... Your response is what I would do if I was forced to use them for as long as you did...

Back
Top Bottom