Are dive computers making bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dependent on the computer is at least better than dependent on a divemaster. I have witnessed at least one instance of vacation divers diving without a computer and apparently relying on the group's divemaster to tell them when to ascend.

Computers are fine when the diver understands what it is telling them. I still teach and dive tables. I also know the ndl's for the majority of recreational dives I do and how to use depth averaging. As well as plan multilevel dives on the rdp or any other set of tables. Where I see a problem is with the divers who fall into the same mindset I did myself as a newer diver with a computer. It was not contradicted by my instructor at the time who talked me into the computer. That belief that as long as I did not go into the red on the loading graph I was ok. It was when I started tech training and reading things on sb that I discovered the critical risk this practice poses.

Yes and no. Computers are allowing marginally adequate training to get even worse. Observant divers can get a feel for a lot of physiological principals by watching their computers throughout the dive; way more than they could ever get from tables. Tables were always a bit disconnected from the typical meandering multilevel recreational dive profile.

Downloading dives into a log also allows the inquisitive diver to learn a lot.

Last edited:
I don't see computers making bad divers any more than they make "bad" pilots or "bad" drivers. Knowing how to use the tool and the principles behind them are what makes them helpful. What's making bad divers are bad instructors and bad students. I've seen many new students (trained with tables) not being able to plan dives with them. They just go with the depth and time as told by the guide. Add a computer and that becomes the guide.

Tables are just a tool to track nitrogen loading, computers are a tool to do the same thing, except they track much more and have other features etc. Not knowing how to use one or the other does not make you a bad diver

Tables were always a bit disconnected from the typical meandering multilevel recreational dive profile.

I think this is probably the most accurate assessment thus far in the thread. We all know the value of planning your dive, and diving your plan, but even multi-level planning a la The Wheel is still a profile that isn't necessarily in line with the way most recreational divers actually dive. And in that regard, I don't necessarily think computers are making bad divers. If it allows a more accurate computation of their nitrogen loading it's not a bad thing.

I don't think it matters whether you're diving a table or a computer, a bad diver does not understand either, and will not follow the recommendations of either, and will not understand why those recommendations are in place to begin with. A good diver will utilize either effectively to minimize their chance of an adverse outcome, and a good diver has an inherent understanding of what both are telling them.

I think a better question would be, "are dive computers making divers more complacent," which I think can easily be answered with a "yes." I know there are shallow reef dives where I'm willing to fall off the boat and piddle around for a bit and fly my computer's NDL because I understand what it's telling me, why it's telling me, and what I need to do to make sure that I surface without issue. In those situations the risk from the type of complacency is fairly minimal. Does that make me a bad diver? I don't think so. However I think, in general, a bad diver with that sort of complacency is much more likely to have an issue. A good diver can still minimize risk while still being a little more lax in their attitude towards that type of dive. And a good diver knows when to apply stricter limitations depending on the situation.

even multi-level planning a la The Wheel is still a profile that isn't necessarily in line with the way most recreational divers actually dive.
I don't see any problem with that.

As long as you plan for max depth(s) in your (multi-level) plan and stay within those, of course. Worst case, your dive is somewhat more conservative than your plan.

Pretty much in agreement what is posted here already.

I will add that having knowledge of the tables in addition to a computer is important as a simple double check. I know the NDLs for every depth from 30ft-130ft, and I routinely use them to help guesstimate and check with my computer. For example, I dove a standard Oceanic Geo (on Z+) until I got the Petrel. When I first started diving the Petrel I had the GF at 30/70. When I was diving air on 30/70 GF my NDLs at 60-65ft were in the 25-30 min range and the petrel started giving me deco. I know the tables for air is 60ft for 50 min. When I did my stop at 19ft (where the bottom was for the final portion of the dive), I was comfortable doing a 4 min stop and technically blowing off 2 minutes of deco because I knew it was computer settings generated and that I had done identical dives before without an issue on other computers.

I set the GF to 30/80 and it seems to have created a nice balance (in my mind) between dive time and conservatism.

It is becoming more and more frequent that I find myself with divers who are extremely computer dependent. Since computers are becoming a dime a dozen, I am not sure if this is a bad thing. I asked one of the divers I was with if she was able to plan and conduct dives without a computer and she told me that she has over 200 dives but was never trained on tables.

How many of you guys do dives without computers? For those senior divers who have been diving since before the computer revolution, do you feel that the new generation has been idiotized by computers, or no.

No ... poor training is making bad divers. Lack of understanding what the numbers on the computer are telling you doesn't come from a use of the device, but a lack of effort and understanding of how to use it effectively.

The computer is just a tool ... providing information that you once had to get through a more rigorous process.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom