April roll call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be happy to dive with you. Or even just meet you and Eric (and/or any other SB'ers) in person. :)

I traded a bunch of emails with 3P and DWM before deciding I want to dive with Aldora.

After talking to all of them, I'm really surprised at the roll call and how many are diving with them and how few with Aldora. It seemed to me that Aldora is almost a no-brainer over the others. Big steel tanks and no arbitrary limits on dive time. Plus smaller groups.

Why is that? Anyone can feel free to PM, if they prefer. Aldora seems like an obvious choice, so now I feel like I'm missing something.
No op is perfect for everyone. Aldora is an excellent dive op for sure, but they are more expensive than most ops and have an "ascend together" policy (no slam, just fact); those traits deter some people, and the larger tanks and valet service are not selling points to some people. In my case, I stay at Blue Angel and I dive with them because it's convenient and I like them. My dives on AL80's are long enough for me.

YMMV. As I said, no op is perfect for everyone, and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Here we go...:popcorn: :callme:

I would be happy to dive with you. Or even just meet you and Eric (and/or any other SB'ers) in person. :)

I traded a bunch of emails with 3P and DWM before deciding I want to dive with Aldora.

After talking to all of them, I'm really surprised at the roll call and how many are diving with them and how few with Aldora. It seemed to me that Aldora is almost a no-brainer over the others. Big steel tanks and no arbitrary limits on dive time. Plus smaller groups.

Why is that? Anyone can feel free to PM, if they prefer. Aldora seems like an obvious choice, so now I feel like I'm missing something.
ggunn is right and that is one of the benefits of diving Cozumel.

I have dove both and for me personally...

The number one reason is the freedom to dive my computer and gas.

I also enjoy the family feel I get as a repeat diver with a small dive op. Jeanie usually answers emails same day or even same hour. Steve the owner takes a personal interest in his business and divers. If you let him know something isn't right he will try to fix it if possible. If not he has been know to make monetary adjustments.

3Ps has a loyal following with a lot of local divers and repeat customers. As such their boats tend toward experienced divers so the DM can allow a little more dive freedom. Adora has great DMs that are very good at giving new or less confidence divers a lot of attention. But they can also be a bit more controlling when it comes to the dive. Good for beginners but not so much for myself.

Either way I would definitely pick a dive op that will pick you up locally.

would be happy to dive with you. Or even just meet you and Eric (and/or any other SB'ers) in person. :)
Can you imagine 3 Freedom Contours on one Caribbean dive boat!

If not dive, must dine together!

I did not know that Aldora requires everyone to ascend together.

And I am definitely not trying to insist that Aldora is better. I have practically no experience in Coz. Y'all are bringing up some good things that I did not know. That's why I asked.

So, with Aldora, making everyone ascend together seems annoying. But, if everyone is diving a 120, and/or decent on gas, then I would think that everyone would be limited by NDL, not gas. So, does it work out that you still basically get as long a dive as you want/can?

I guess that their group policy means they don't allow solo diving? I was thinking of diving solo (if allowed) so I could focus (heh - so to speak) on taking pictures. If I have a buddy, I take buddy responsibilities seriously - which means not being able to really concentrate on taking pictures like I might want to.

There is a hammerhead around? I'll be there Saturday :wink:

Yes. And we actually have proof! This was taken late February at Palancar Reef at roughly 30 feet. Skip to the 1:55 minute mark for the hammerhead. Tried to get closer, but it was on a mission.

Cozumel February 2018 Video

Member.....................Dates.....................Stay..............................Dive

ccannon707.............3/22 to 4/12.........Casa Amarilla............Adrian/Maya Divers
Scubagolf...................3/23 to 4/2...........Scuba Club.................Scuba Club
mediumone
and missus................3/27 to 4/8................................................Blue Magic
Queen Triggerfish.....4/2 to 4/6...............Bahia Suites...............Tres Pelicanos
Guitarcrazy and wife..4/5 to 4/11............Casa Mexicana...........
ckofabq.....................4/5 to 4/13.............Sunscape Sabor........Blue XTSea
Candace, James
and Dad....................4/6 to 4/17.............Scuba Club.................Scuba Club
gopbroek..................4/7 to 4/10............”Casa Belmont”...........Tres Pelicanos
Jim & Rebecca..........4/7 to 4/17............Suites Turqesa...........Aldora
jbjclj and Cheryl........4/11 to 5/14...........Villa las Anclas...........Tres Pelicanos
bshort4......................4/13 to 4/20..........Sunscape Sabor........Dive with Cristina
LimitedSlip7...............4/13 to 4/22..........Hotel Cozumel...........Tres Pelicanos
ggunn and Herd........4/13 to 4/27..........Blue Angel..................Blue Angel
morecowbells +........4/14 to 4/20.........Residencias Reef.......Bottom Time Divers
Charred and Kristen...4/14 to 4/21.........Iberostar....................Tres Pelicanos +
tridacna and crew......4/14 to 4/21.........Scuba Club.................Scuba Club
cobra269....................4/14 to 5/5............Residencias Reef.......Dive with Martin
extexdiver, jtexdiver +..4/15 to 4/21........El Cantil......................Tres Pelicanos
willmann_nc...............4/21 to 4/28..........Cozumel Palace.........Dive with Martin
bsppc and crew.........4/21 to 4/28..........Park Royal..................Diving with Alison
uncfnp and Soloist.....4/21 to 4/30.........Casa Mexicana...........Tres Pelicanos
stuartv........................4/21 to 4/28.........Iberostar......................Tres Pelicanos
Rich Hagelin...............4/26 to 4/30.........Casa Mexicana..........Living Underwater
CajunDiva/
Aqua Dive Travel........4/27 to 5/4.........Casa Mexicana............Tres Pelicanos
Streydog.....................4/27 to 5/2.........Suites Bahia..................Aldora
Scott/Carol &
Motor City Scuba(14)..4/28 to 5/5.........Occidental...................Prodive
northernone...............All month..............................................doing his own thing
MMM..........................All Month............Private Home.............Living Underwater

Well, the lure of diving with some fellow SB'ers won me over. Well, that and the fact that I emailed Aldora on Friday and they didn't respond at all until Monday night - leaving me free to be swayed by the voices of experience in the meantime. :)

I am now booked with Tres Pelicanos, so I can at least meet and dive with uncfnp and Soloist.

Can't wait!! :yeahbaby::bounce::drunks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom