Apeks RK3 vs SP Nova sea wings vs Mares X-stream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Mares X-Stream and Force Fin Pro's to try out. I have a wife foot and the foot pocket of the Force fins causes quite a bit of discomfort even with thinner boots....I tried 7mm, 5mm and 3mm....was a no go....will be selling them...I literally used them in the pool for 30 minutes....I took the Mares X-Stream to Key Largo with me and they were GREAT for me....I was able to keep up, swim against the mild/moderate current and no knee, calf, leg or back pain. They were not easy for me to frog kick with....other than that I am thrilled with them
:D Does she know?
Thanks, I needed a laugh.
Just had a look at the Mares X Stream......Very expensive here.

I bought the Mares X-Stream and Force Fin Pro's to try out. I have a WIDE foot and the foot pocket of the Force fins causes quite a bit of discomfort even with thinner boots....I tried 7mm, 5mm and 3mm....was a no go....will be selling them...I literally used them in the pool for 30 minutes....I took the Mares X-Stream to Key Largo with me and they were GREAT for me....I was able to keep up, swim against the mild/moderate current and no knee, calf, leg or back pain. They were not easy for me to frog kick with....other than that I am thrilled with them

Strange. I'm an 11EEEE. FFs work for me no issue. In fact I have the comfort insteps to make them a bit tighter with 3mm booties.

I am 60 years old and don't have much strength in my legs. I do walk and I do ride a bicycle but I cramp easy and get winded with stiff fins. So far I have tried the ScubaPro Nova Sea Wings and they are Ok. Has anyone compared them to the Mares X-Stream and the Apeks RK3? For reference the Scuba Pro jet fins kill my legs in under 5 minutes...lol. They will be for single tank recreational diving both cold and warm water. Basically I need something very easy on the legs but still propels you when need be.

So I’d say you will not like the Apeks’ as well. I am a retired commercial diver and grew up on ScubaPro gear but at 74, I have had to make some gear changes. I mostly free dice/spearfish and use long blade carbons but I would recommend looking at Cressi Cara ( their interchangeable system) Impulse. The angle of the foot to the blade is less taxing but still gives me adequate power. I would say that you might be well advised to work a bit on leg strength and try some other leg kicking techniques. Is it just leg fatigue ( or cramping) as well?

Strange. I'm an 11EEEE. FFs work for me no issue. In fact I have the comfort insteps to make them a bit tighter with 3mm booties.
I have a bony protuberance on my left foot. Like a bunion that’s not a bunion. I can wear all kinds of fins. Just not the hard rigid foot pocket of the FF

11 EEEE, Are you sure you need fins, mine are wide, but , that is extra wide plus x 2.
:stirpot:

Personally I don't like fins with a plastic post, where the fin strap is held to the post by friction--such as the Mares fins. The reason is we do a lot of shore dives with surf and the fins have to come on and off very quickly and I've had the straps come off the post in the water. This is the case with my Mares Power Plana fins which are fine on a boat but I can't use them for shore diving.

I much prefer fins like the Deep 6 Eddys where the spring strap is positively screwed into the fin and cannot come off if I struggle with the strap.

Personally I don't like fins with a plastic post, where the fin strap is held to the post by friction--such as the Mares fins. The reason is we do a lot of shore dives with surf and the fins have to come on and off very quickly and I've had the straps come off the post in the water. This is the case with my Mares Power Plana fins which are fine on a boat but I can't use them for shore diving.

I much prefer fins like the Deep 6 Eddys where the spring strap is positively screwed into the fin and cannot come off if I struggle with the strap.

Agree, most of my diving is shore diving and because I'm silly I'll dive in almost any conditions, the only time I've ever had a fin strap come off was one popping off the post on my mares power Planas, spring strap, never had a rubber/bungee pop off the mares.

Fate intervened and one of the posts completely snapped off.

Now wet I only use DR XTs and dry, Hollis F1s.

I’m looking for powerful fins between the gopro sport and the regular apek rk3. The go sport is lighter and better for travel but are they more floppy than the rk3 or are they comparable . I have aqualung express fins and looking for something comparable ..: go sport or rk3 work? . Thanks for all the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom