Best full foot fins for current: Atomic SplitFin or Sea Wing Nova?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never used split fins. I sure love my Novas for current though! They’re sort of specialized for just that, weak in other areas but for powering through current or covering a lot of terrain there’s nothing like them.

As you know, you will likely get a lot of pushback against split fins on this board, and it is a shame you did not get the opportunity to try the Atomics in the Red Sea. Divers that know how to use high quality split fins like the Atomics or Apollo Bios have a much higher opinion of them than you are likely to get from those on this board that may never have used them, or did not use them long enough to learn the proper kick for the fins.
I have a pair of Atomic “Smoke on the Water” Splits (firmer than their regular splits) and a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro + and I love them both!

I dove with the Atomics in Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa and had no issues, even when cutting across strong currents in the pass.

The Mares are a bit shorter and have a little better control for finesse of movement/positioning and will provide a bit more initial thrust - but the Atomics work really well too and are especially good for flutter (they frog kick fine too) or if you have bad knees.

Disregard the split fin haters here as they work just fine. However, I’d see if you could try a set before you buy (true of any fin), if possible.

I have a pair of Atomic “Smoke on the Water” Splits (firmer than their regular splits) and a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro + and I love them both!

I dove with the Atomics in Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa and had no issues, even when cutting across strong currents in the pass.

The Mares are a bit shorter and have a little better control for finesse of movement/positioning and will provide a bit more initial thrust - but the Atomics work really well too and are especially good for flutter (they frog kick fine too) or if you have bad knees.

Disregard the split fin haters here as they work just fine. However, I’d see if you could try a set before you buy (true of any fin), if possible.
Great to hear! I am heading to Fakarava in a few weeks. I am gonna order a pair of atomics for this trip. just realized it is only 2.8 lbs, 0.2 lbs heavier than Go fins and 0.4 lbs lighter than Seawing full foot.

I can recommend the Mares Superchannel full foot. I have a pair and in timed tests against an array of fins - including ScubaPro Go Sports, ScubaPro Jets and Force Fin Pros - they produce both the highest top speed and highest speed at moderate exertion for both flutter and frog kicks. Mine weigh 3.05 pounds for the pair in size 44-45 (9.5-10.5). My Go Sports weigh 3.64 pounds for the pair in size L.

I have not compared them to Atomic Splits nor any free diving fins.

I love my Atomic split fins. I wore my first pair out (Step Into Liquid). My 2nd pair (Smoke On The Water) are equally good. An earlier post noted that you have to develop the proper kick to get the most out of them. This is an accurate statement. Unfortunately, I seem to be one of the few on any liveaboard that uses them anymore. Oh well. To each his/her own. I love them and they still stack up against most anything out there.

I love my SP Sea Wing Novas. They have awesome propulsion. Even more amazing, is without scuba-gear, I can pick up some absurd speeds swimming or free-diving. No idea about those split-fins.

I want to add that I have high arches and found the Seawing Novas to hurt my feet. I ended up with Apeks RK3 and almost everyone else in my OW class had Seawing Novas or Atomic split fins. Just my experience.

Splits suck in current compared to many other fin. As do all the bendy fins.
I tried most as they came out and used to recommend them overall but they're just not as useful or versatile as quattros etc...
The best fins for current are freedive fins.
When swinning in current with professional divers the only guys to keep anywhere near me and my other ancient buddy were wearing freedive fins. The split guys couldn't even make the anchor line and had to use a granny line to reach it. These are all very fit and young guys.

It’s all compromise, small and light for travel doesn’t alway translate to hi performance. If you pick fins that use booties or socks you will have far more choices, good booties and adaptors to the fin from you foot.

the best fins I’ve used in heavy current were regular Sherwood Triton, very light for travel but also long.

I have both Go travel and GoSport, I find the Go a bit stiffer and with a slightly thinner blade you do have to work hard if in currents.

Novas are very good all around fins but they do send an odd signal back to you legs due to the blade delay, once you get used to them they will probably leave those split fin users in the swirl (dust).

if you always check your gear and want to buy something new take a good look at the Triton.

Check these fins from SP, they come in full and open heel and you can switch the foot pocket from one to the other no problem. They are great fins.

Seawing Supernova Fin

Back
Top Bottom