Best full foot fins for current: Atomic SplitFin or Sea Wing Nova?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using my Scuba Pro Go fins for most of my travel diving, but they are not very good in the currents.
I did buy a pair of full foot Sea Wing Nova 2 years ago and used it during 1 trip to to Cozumel/PDC. As far as I could remember, it felt a lot more powerful than Go fins in Cozumel currents, but the kicks felt weird to me and it took some time to get used to. Also the foot pockets were uncomfortable and gave me bad blisters even with fin socks.

Recently, during my red sea BDE liveaboard, the DM and a few other divers sworn about their Atomic Splitfins and how it was effortless for them during long swims. (I was exhausted on those dives with a pair of deformed rental fins due to my missing luggage). I recently got Atomic T3 and their low profile mask, and was very happy with both items from Atomic. I wonder if I should try their splitfins, too? Is it really an upgrade from Sea Wing Nova?

I have Go travel fins (using without boots).
These are very different from the go sport fins. The ones you got are "touristy" type. The go sport fins are the way to go.

It is very difficult to find somebody to recommend split fins on scubaboard. I can't either way since I have never tried the Atomic split fins. I am not sure any split fins out there will be good for currents. In Cozumel you go with the current not against it afaik.

These are very different from the go sport fins. The ones you got are "touristy" type. The go sport fins are the way to go.

It is very difficult to find somebody to recommend split fins on scubaboard. I can't either way since I have never tried the Atomic split fins. I am sure any split fins out there will be good for currents. In Cozumel you go with the current not against it afaik.
The recommendations from people on the boat was Atomic Splitfins specifically, but they were all using open heel with boots. I need a pair for warm water travel only, so full foot is what I am looking for. It is under US$100 it seems for full boot Atomic, so I may as well just buy a pair to test it out.

Yes, I drift mostly in Coz with my Go travel fins, but occasionally I do swim a bit in places like Cedral to take photos.:p

As you know, you will likely get a lot of pushback against split fins on this board, and it is a shame you did not get the opportunity to try the Atomics in the Red Sea. Divers that know how to use high quality split fins like the Atomics or Apollo Bios have a much higher opinion of them than you are likely to get from those on this board that may never have used them, or did not use them long enough to learn the proper kick for the fins.

Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins should definitely be on your short list. These are comfortable, powerful and efficient fins. Great choice for currents and drift diving.

As you know, you will likely get a lot of pushback against split fins on this board, and it is a shame you did not get the opportunity to try the Atomics in the Red Sea. Divers that know how to use high quality split fins like the Atomics or Apollo Bios have a much higher opinion of them than you are likely to get from those on this board that may never have used them, or did not use them long enough to learn the proper kick for the fins.
I did just do a side by side comparison of the atomic full foot and open heel. It seems the open heel version has a somewhat different design with much thicker side bezels to keep water in... I guess the full foot version won't be as powerful... Darn, I really do not need another pair of open heel fins - for occasional cold water diving, I do have a pair of old Volo Power that works fine.

I did just do a side by side comparison of the atomic full foot and open heel. It seems the open heel version has a somewhat different design with much thicker side bezels to keep water in... I guess the full foot version won't be as powerful... Darn, I really do not need another pair of open heel fins - for occasional cold water diving, I do have a pair of old Volo Power that works fine.
Open heel fins aren't just for cold water diving. I dive in warmer water and I use open heel fins with thiner boots. In all of my travels to tropical diving destinations, I have always used open heel fins with boots.

Open heel fins aren't just for cold water diving. I dive in warmer water and I use open heel fins with thiner boots. In all of my travels to tropical diving destinations, I have always used open heel fins with boots.
I know - but I live in Canada - I travel to dive in warm waters and try to minimize the amount of gear / weight:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom