Question User reviews on Scubapro Super Nova Seawing fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, my week of diving is over, I put these through 11 dives in Cozumel, one of the days with such strong currents the port closed while we were diving. I haven't tried enough fins to meaningfully review the fins, but I can say I'm a big guy (6'2 200 pounds) and had no issue fighting the current at all. The flex on the fins does feel odd at first, but the theory is that it makes them more efficient and I got used to them quickly. I did feel compared to other fins they felt stable, no matter how hard I moved them (flutter kick) they had no tendency to slip sideways. Very comfortable and easy to put them on and off, out of the box they felt a bit loose but I adjusted the tension with the provided tool and it was perfect after that. All in all I'm pleased with them.

My experience with the "L" SuperNovas was very good with my 5mm size 9 DeepSea Safe-Sole Ergo boots diving wet with a BM Steel LP85 and up to 2 AL80 Stages. 8 long training dives and a required surface swim in fairly strong swells.

They were comfortable, efficient, and effective with my kicks - Flutter, Frog, Helicopter, Sculling. Back Kick TBD - this is a "ME" work in progress so I cant really evaluate. I was gravely concerned about the bend angle (I've had incompatibilities with the "bent" DR XTs for example) but it was simply a non-issue.

There was an unexpected benefit to this design that I now find seriously compelling. The ability to grab the fin, firmly and securely, around the arm for removal (and hand-up) was HUGE! With back-injuries before and during my trip, my flexibility was limited. Between the bungee straps and the ability to positively control the fin, removal while holding onto a (sometimes) heaving dive platform or ladder was simple and easy.

I think they would be a good stiffness/power match for me even up to BM Steel Doubles and a stage in a dry-suit. Downsides: I estimate that they project (when on my foot) longer than my Eddys (2") and SlipStreams (3"), so will have some close-quarters limitations and I would need to find a way to weight them for Dry use.

The Tusas just require a basic allen key; same as my 1st stage reg plugs, I think. Or close to it. Either way, screwdriver vs allen key isn't a big difference :)
EDIT: cheers on the gorilla comparison. Interesting about their performance with your heavy drag/water resistance. I definitely would not want anything softer than the gorillas for that style of fin; meanwhile, I find the Apex RK3 fins the limit for stiffness I like (which I know some tec divers find too soft)
Have the tusa switch, perfect transition from split fins to vented paddle. Want to try the Super Nova or Switch Pro, have you tried any of them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom