Apeks RK3 vs SP Nova sea wings vs Mares X-stream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am 60 years old and don't have much strength in my legs. I do walk and I do ride a bicycle but I cramp easy and get winded with stiff fins. So far I have tried the ScubaPro Nova Sea Wings and they are Ok. Has anyone compared them to the Mares X-Stream and the Apeks RK3? For reference the Scuba Pro jet fins kill my legs in under 5 minutes...lol. They will be for single tank recreational diving both cold and warm water. Basically I need something very easy on the legs but still propels you when need be.

The RK3 fins are more accurately compared to the Jet fins.

I’ve tried the X-Stream and the Seawing Nova fins. In comparison, the Nova’s performance was much more to my liking. I didn’t feel the X-Streams offered anything special.

Have you tried split fins? Many people baulk about the spit fins, but they do have benefits. Over the years of teaching, guiding and running a shop I found people who cramped easily, had bad hips, knees, or weak legs did ok with split fins. Split fins do not have the thrust or maneuverability as other fins, but they are much less stressful on the legs than other fins.

Another option for you is to learn different fin kicks. Many will say this is the smarter option. Although I agree with that opinion, I also realize there are those who are not into the diving as others are. It may be the split fin will suffice for your situation. The only way you are going to know is to try them.

Better kicks is the better answer, Nova’s are good all around fins, but they take a different kick than more convention fin designs, frog kick or a variation of the frog kick is more efficient.

the best thing to do for cramping is get in a pool as many days per week as possible and kick, flutter one way frog back, there is no substitute for building finning muscle than finning.

Best fins for cramps are Force Fins.

Better kicks is the better answer, Nova’s are good all around fins, but they take a different kick than more convention fin designs, frog kick or a variation of the frog kick is more efficient.

the best thing to do for cramping is get in a pool as many days per week as possible and kick, flutter one way frog back, there is no substitute for building finning muscle than finning.
I would love to get into a pool but no pool in this area of Albany NY even allows fins. There is a YMCA not too far but no fins allowed

I personally like my Scubapro Twin Jets, My brother in law uses Atomic split fins. Those are tho only two that I have experience with, other than that it is personal preference.

Before buying new fins have you tried frog kicking?

Back
Top Bottom