Long-term review Zeagle Recon/Apeks RK3/Hollis F1/Gull GT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mavric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All currently diving Atomic Bladefin (not the X1) and they're really good for speed and acceleration. I flutter, don't frog. I do find them floaty and would like to get a pair of negative rubber fins.

I have tried SP Jets but with flutter they're just too hard. I'm leaning toward the Zeagle based on the Scubalab 2018 tech fin review (Scuba Fin Review 2018) where they came up tops again the Hollis for power vs stress and tied with Apeks RK 3 for power vs stress. I don't know much about the Gull GT beyond a few comments and the Scubalab 2021 review (The Best Scuba Fins of 2021 Reviewed) and of course it's not possible to try all of them out for myself sadly! Even considering some Gull Super MEW XX's! Any words of advice, please, from long-term users who might have comparisons and use flutter-kicks as opposed to frog? I have strong legs and don't dive twins etc- just boring old single 15 litre, Apeks wing and BP. Really looking for a negative fin with good acceleration and power for flutter kicking but not as hard as SP Jets (tried those and sold them 😁). Kind regards Mavric Webbstock

F1 LT Fin

F1 LT Fin

F 1 LT

Rated 5.00 out of 5
$179.95
9 styles
View Product

Hollis F1 LT White Fins - Gidive Store

If you found Jets to hard to use you will likely hate Hollis! I haven’t used the recon but I would like to try them just haven’t been able to find out if the foot pocket is big enough in the largest size.

you may want to look at force fins, I have the older pro model and they are not bad all arounders but excellent for flutter.

Which Hollis?
F1, haven’t tried the LT but I despise the F1 enough to not bother, want a pair in xxl? Pay for shipping and they are yours.

F1, haven’t tried the LT but I despise the F1 enough to not bother, want a pair in xxl? Pay for shipping and they are yours.
Thanks, but, no thanks. I never liked my F1s (too flipity-flopity) either. The F1 LTs are shorter and stiffer and made from a different material. They're my favorite fins. I also have Power Fins, Jet Fins, Slip Streams, that I will never use again. Not a Hollis fanboy....except for the F1 LTs.

Ruh Roh, due to my misunderstanding of your original post, you will now have to switch to Frog Kick............

Have you found the fins you are looking for? I have been diving the Tusa Hyflex switch fins, they are light weight but negative(buoyancy) fins. They are designed for flutter kicks and In my opinion , do as well, if not better in flutter than the seawing and go sport ( both of which are positively buoyant). The Tusa was also Tester’s choice by ScubaLab 2017 : 13 Scuba Diving Fins Tested and Reviewed By ScubaLab.

Back
Top Bottom