Apeks Atx 50 Vs. Egress For Octo Use

Which should I use as an octo.? (Read 1st post before voting)

• Apeks ATX 50

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Apeks Egress

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither (sell everything and rent instead)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Neither (sell them and buy something else for use as an octo)

• Other (explain with a post)

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so I managed to pick up a set of Apeks regulators secondhand. The set came with a DIN 1st stage along with an Apeks ATX 50 and Apeks Egress. I currently have an Apeks ATX 200 (1st and 2nd stages) that I plan on using as my primary. I bought this second set with the intention of using 1 of the two regulators as my octo and selling the other one.

However, since my purchase I've been thinking more about the related annual service cost of having my own regulator set and whether it would be better to sell what I have and put the money towards something else. The ATX 200 was basically a gift, so I would feel bad selling it, but perhaps I can overlook that if I put the money towards a different piece of SCUBA equipment (like a computer, which I don't have).

In my area I can rent for a weekend a regulator set (primary, secondary, and gauges) for $18. The annual service cost for a regulator set is $120 (including the 1st stage and both 2nd stages). So I'd have to dive ~7 weekends a years to break even. My current "dive rate" is 1 trip every 1-2 years. I want to perhaps increase that and could see my "dive rate" going up to 3 weekends per year with a destination vacation trip maybe once a year or 2. I only do recreational dives, nothing confined or overhead or deep, just basic level diving.

However, if I decide to keep what I have, what would make for the better octo.? This is how I see the pros and cons of each of using them as an octo....

Keeping the Apeks ATX 50
Pro: Better overall regulator, could be a primary
Con: More than I really need for an octo. (see above), I can sell for more than the Egress, not as compact, smaller purge button, it's not yellow (perhaps not a big deal)

Keeping the Apeks Egress
Pro: Designed to be an octo, can be used upside down for a panicked diver, compact for travel, big purge button, yellow (perhaps not a big deal).
Cons: Could use something better

So what do you think? Keep one or the other and have my own set, or sell what I have an just rent since I don't do that much diving to begin with and put the money towards something else.

Vote in the poll and let your voice be heard!!

Thanks!

since you wouldn't qualify for free parts anyways, don't worry about the service interval. get a cheap ip gauge and dive the regs till you start seeing the ip start to creep instead of locking up. depending on how often you dive, you can probably go a few years before a rebuild.

the atx50 is going to be a better 2nd stage than the egress. i am not a fan of the egress octo, but others seem to like it just fine. i would keep the atx50 and sell the egress. consider moving to a primary donate setup too with the atx50 on a short hose and necklace. the one annoyance with the atx series regs is the exhaust tee is a bit narrow compared to the tx and xtx versions.

since you wouldn't qualify for free parts anyways, don't worry about the service interval. get a cheap ip gauge and dive the regs till you start seeing the ip start to creep instead of locking up. depending on how often you dive, you can probably go a few years before a rebuild.

the atx50 is going to be a better 2nd stage than the egress. i am not a fan of the egress octo, but others seem to like it just fine. i would keep the atx50 and sell the egress. consider moving to a primary donate setup too with the atx50 on a short hose and necklace. the one annoyance with the atx series regs is the exhaust tee is a bit narrow compared to the tx and xtx versions.

I didn't mention it, but the set-up came with a Dive Rite brass and glass SPG which I plan on keeping.

If you decide to keep the ATX-50 here's how to make it an octo for $5.
http://www.divers-supply.com/trident-hose-wrap-54in.html

I like having my own regs. I like knowing they're maintained regularly. And that the mouthpiece was disinfected after the last person threw up a little in their mouth thru it the day before.

Would it be an option to move the yellow hose from the Egress over to the ATX 50, or is there something that would prevent that? Also, I know the ATX came in an octo. version, could I replace the purge cover with a yellow one?

I'd wonder if there's some diffference in the swivel hose that would prevent it. I dive Atomics and there's a difference in the swivel vs. non-swivel hose - one requires a special nut to use with the other.

I doubt it comes up often so maybe ask your dealer.

You can change the purge cover to yellow but I think there's a special tool needed for the ATX series so you might have your dealer do it while servicing the "new" reg.

Change the hose and the cover and it probably is an ATX-50 Octo - they probably didn't make a separate one.

you can swap hoses around to your hearts content, and yes the ATX50 has a yellow purge cover that you can use with it, though it isn't actually needed and color coded octo's don't actually do anything in the real world. If it gives you warm fuzzies, then keep it, but there is no reason to spend money on anything to color code it. There are no pros to using an egress over an atx50, though I wouldn't sell either of them. Always better to have an extra second stage to throw on instead of being forced to go in for service at that instant.

If you have any interest in tech training, or come to realize that primary donate is a superior OOA plan to secondary donate, then you will appreciate breathing off of an identical second stage to your primary when you pass that off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom