Anyone used Kohala Divers? Staying up in that area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biggieb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be up by Mauna Kea and Kohala looked much closer than heading to Kona. Any opinions on the op or what you would do if staying in that area?

Kohala Divers is highly recommended by an instructor I work with, though I don't have first hand experience with them.

I'd be very interested in information about where to stay up in that area, since I'm hoping to get up there sometime this year and don't want to stay in one of the Waikoloa type $300/night resorts that seem to be the only choices I can find around Kawaihai.

To Hinalo, check out VRBO.com for rentals in the Puako area, Kawaihae too, there should be some interesting deals there.

Kohala diving is pretty darned good, the conditions can be a bit less predictable than down in Kona due to the tradewinds from what I've heard. You'll definitely want to plan a trip down to Kailua for the manta dive, if you're diving a lot you might want to do a few days each direction.

I have rented tanks from there, from what I could tell they run a good operation.

Kohala divers is my LDS. I heart them very much. Outside of the super nice people and the great service... they'll take you to dive spots that haven't been trodden on by thousands of tourists in Kona. (Here's a glowing review from a non local diver). I suggest heading directly there and forgoing any other dive op in the area.

Please do go south one night for the Manta Dive. It should be on every diver's bucket list.

I agree about VRBO.com. You can find condos in Waikoloa (both the resort area and Waikoloa Village) for $90/night easily. Houses in Puako are reasonable if you have enough people and the shore diving is in walking distance. I would also suggest trying to haggle with the condo owners before you book. You never know how desperate they are.

I tell people to let go of staying right on the water on the Kohala coast. Bear in mind that there aren't many white sandy beaches here so you'll have to drive to one of them anyways... so why not just stay somewhere off the beaten path and find a good home base to explore from.

-Eric

Thanks Steve and Eric, that's just the advice I was hoping for.

- Jeff

We used VRBO, 3 bedroom condo for just over $300. Not bad for a big place. Thanks for the info on Kohala. I will book some diving and see what they have to offer.

To Hinalo, check out VRBO.com for rentals in the Puako area, Kawaihae too, there should be some interesting deals there.

Kohala diving is pretty darned good, the conditions can be a bit less predictable than down in Kona due to the tradewinds from what I've heard. You'll definitely want to plan a trip down to Kailua for the manta dive, if you're diving a lot you might want to do a few days each direction.
was totally unimpressed with Kohala Divers...and the whole area for that matter. very few fish, more interested in the dive-for one day and snorkel crowd...dive in Kona with Wanna Dive if you're serious about getting wet and seeing fish.

The last two times we used Kohala Divers; the first time we rented tanks for the week, as we did a ton of shore diving, and the last trip we did boat dives with them.

Very humble, unassuming and appreciative of their customers--Nicely-stocked dive shop--they even picked us up at our hotel.

Captain Stephen assisted on of us with a hose issue, and Chris the dive master was excellent at spotting and pointing out critters and fish. We saw a TON of different species, as well as a pod of spinner dolphins (with babies!!).

Would definitely recommend Kohala.

I ended up spending two days with Kohala and it was very nice. We were able to see some nice dive sites and the DM's where very knowledgeable and friendly. Nice boat with not too many divers and some very friendly staff. The only thing I would like is for them to have some larger tanks. This is definately the place to hit if you are staying up north by Mauna Kea or Hapuna. The drive to Kona can be a little long.

Back
Top Bottom