Anyone notice the excitement at the Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that police officer has his face covered, that is not a good sign. That's drug war stuff.

Geeze, and we were just going on about how safe it is there and hope it stays that way, no need to get nervous about it as long as the drug cartels wars stay away from it. I really hope this all ends up being less serious then it's looking right now. Damn, I'd love some info!

Not sure, but I think ALL Federales keep their face covered. Their families are targets.

The last translation refers to the 5 as suspects in an actual execution that occurred earlier. This sounds like a hit not a random act of violence against a tourist. The tourists who had their room searched and their luggage checked were innocent bystanders who were rightfully pissed off, as to weather or not they had money taken we will never know. How many travelers leave their money in their luggage when they go out? I usually put it in my pocket or the hotel safe. The police were on a serious mission, not a roadside fund raiser. I would give them the "benefit of the doubt" over some pissed off tourists. Anyway, if it was all drug related:

a) Doesn't involve me
b) One less gangbanger on the streets
c) Positive sign that police are actively trying to find the perps
d) Still at a significantly lower rate of occurrence than most large US cities
e) Add your own comments to the list
f) got a heck of a story to tell when it's over
g) NOT Blue Angel's fault that the suspect chose their hotel
h) obviously the police are not being dictatorial because they didn't just arrest all five and take them and their luggage downtown.
i) No one else was bothered, 'cept the bad guys - okay by me!

Wow! Didn't mean to offend anyone, Just my experience while living there for a few years. Around 2000 Mexico's president fled in the middle of the night with alot of the countries money. It's what has ignited the opened market for the drug cartels, and also alot of corruption. I was only shaken down because i am white and lived in a non tourist area, just part of it. Mexico is beautiful, the people and culture incredible, just watch your back around the federales. Seriously. They are not bad people, it just gets tricky with an authority void down there.

Again this is baja mexico, not Cozumel, i have no opinion on there since I have never experienced it. But can't wait to dive there, and will stay at the Blue Angel becuase of all of it's wonderful reviews I have read here.

PS - guns are illegal in Mexico, and in baja you can only buy them on the black market from....federales.

WOW. I know I'm not going back to Mexico, but I had hoped that the island of Coz would still be somewhere I would want to re-visit. Maybe there is not a lot of drug violence there, but when it is common place to be robbed by the police in the course of their work... well I guess I need to scratch Coz. off the list too.

Yeah, I'm not going back to Cozumel either.
Oh wait, I live in NJ, 50 miles from Newark (Newark had a celebration in April, they went an entire month without a murder), 75 miles from Camden, and 5 miles from Asbury Park (our own little slice of hell on earth).
On second thought, maybe I should relocate to Cozumel.
Hint: Don't get too drunk or do any drugs (or anything illegal), go to bed by 10 pm, lock your valuables in the room/hotel safe and you should be just fine in Cozumel.

Nice. I hate to bring this up, but you just painted cops with that broad brush you don't want used to paint Coz. That would be like saying because some dive shops have crooked employees, ALL dive shops must have some crooked employees. Faulty logic. Instead of saying that, you should focus on the fact that the complaint was made by the criminals. Por Esto always repeats anything bad a prisoner has to say about the police. You are SURE Coz has some crooked cops?
Yeah, some other chosen words might have worked better. Crooked cops may exist all over, but not everywhere. Many of us gripe about cops if we get a traffic ticket, then buy better radar detectors, but we should be generally grateful for our police forces. Imagine living in a world without any, as some have to. :shakehead:

The police and firefighters we have in the US are America's finest, in it for the long haul usually, protecting us when we can't protect ourselves, etc. :thumb:

Wait?!?!? Wha?!? After one questionably reported incident you cross a divers paradise like Coz off your list? Without REALLY knowing it happened?

Christi said it best. ABSURD
I thought my "bullcaca" was good too. I tried "bull****" but you see what happens. :D

Nice. I hate to bring this up, but you just painted cops with that broad brush you don't want used to paint Coz. That would be like saying because some dive shops have crooked employees, ALL dive shops must have some crooked employees. Faulty logic. Instead of saying that, you should focus on the fact that the complaint was made by the criminals. Por Esto always repeats anything bad a prisoner has to say about the police. You are SURE Coz has some crooked cops?......​

Good point, I must agree

I was at Blue Angel on Saturday during the police/military investigation of the 5 individuals. Having a law enforcement background and having participated in felony investigations, the Mexican police/military did a credible job and securing the scene and making sure the guests were not in harms way. They only entered the suspects room and no others. They conducted themselves in a professional manner.

Eva was very upset and concerned for the safety of her guests. I would in no way hold Eva responsible for these individuals checking in to her resort. We had a very enjoyable week at Blue Angel and would return.

Just my 2 cents on this incident.

Gracias.png
Thanks Colin...!!

PS - guns are illegal in Mexico, and in baja you can only buy them on the black market from....federales.

Recently it seems that the US ATF under Big Zero has been competing with the Federales in that market.... :gas:

I was at Blue Angel on Saturday during the police/military investigation of the 5 individuals. Having a law enforcement background and having participated in felony investigations, the Mexican police/military did a credible job and securing the scene and making sure the guests were not in harms way. They only entered the suspects room and no others. They conducted themselves in a professional manner.

Eva was very upset and concerned for the safety of her guests. I would in no way hold Eva responsible for these individuals checking in to her resort. We had a very enjoyable week at Blue Angel and would return.

Just my 2 cents on this incident.

Excellent. Thanks for the report, CG!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom