Anyone notice the excitement at the Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Federales in Mexico are theives. They shake you down at every chance they get. Corruption is rampant. I have been to pacific side Mexico several times, they are truly the biggest danger to your money, health, and liberty. This is not an opinion, but experience. As a result, I have stopped going to Mexico (at least on the baja penninsula), and hope Cozumel will be better. I have heard only wonderful things about diving in Cozumel, and am looking forward to seeing it.

I guess I should apologize. It appears that some think I am encouraging 'Coz Haters' and I shouldn't have mentioned this at all. That wasn't my intention at all. I really believe the truth about what goes on is Cozumel is the best for Cozumel. Deal with the reality as I don't see a problem. The fact that a drug dealer got shot recently was already public knowledge on SB. My thoughts reading the article were:

1. Look the cops are making sure the other bad guys aren't at BA. Isnt it a good thing that the cops are after the SOBs and trying to protect the island and the BA in particular is a safe spot because the bad guys aren't there and;
2. I wonder if the cops really did take stuff from people. Por Esto is always picking on the cops. Maybe some of our SB'ers who I think are at BA could tell us their perspective. I was hoping the theft thing was BS. Heck I talked to a guy the other day who TRIED to bribe a cop on Coz for a speeding ticket. The cop refused and gave the guy a warning only.

We don't live in world where everything is perfect. Can't we look at things and put it in perspective rather than this all or nothing thing? I was on the ferry last week and they were checking everyone's bags. My thought was GOOD, they care. Again though I apologize to anyone who thinks this sort of thing should never be discussed because it scares people.

Reactions: Jax
Is that a translation SNAFU?

That jumped out at me too but I took it to mean "they executed a search of the premises."

Update--According to UteFan's post below, there was an execution somewhere.

Last edited:
this is Eva Rasmussen, owner/operator of Blue Angel Resort. I will be making no further comments or answering any questions on this matter other than this: Blue Angel staff and management only followed the instructions they were given by authorities. Police showed up without called by Blue Angel initially, and after that, the employees and myself were given instructions from there, which we followed. Because of the sensitivity and seriousness of the matter and the people involved, I will be issuing no further comment nor will i answer any questions.

as with all history and all media coverage, dont believe everthing you hear.

That's OK, think nothing of it. This is the internet.

When facts are lacking there will always be someone ready, willing and able to step in and fill the void with creative misinformation, speculation and groundless rumor.

:D

I guess I should apologize.

None needed for my part. You're doing divers a service by increasing awareness and I appreciate that sort of thing. After all, isn't that what our community is about? (Thanks for posting even though this forum can be a little touchy where commercial interests are concerned).

None needed for my part. You're doing divers a service by increasing awareness and I appreciate that sort of thing. After all, isn't that what our community is about? (Thanks for posting even though this forum can be a little touchy where commercial interests are concerned).
Haha, it's good that we support local businesses and that some also post here, but you'd need to make up a new account to criticize one. :eek:

Here is my translation:

................................................................................................................................................

COZUMEL, December 14th -
It was reported by the hotel management of “Blue Angel”, searched by judicial police on Saturday looking for people linked to an execution done a day earlier, a few guests complained because the agents robbed things from one of their suitcases.

Said hotel, that is located 300 meters south of the new cargo loading dock, was searched this past Saturday thee times by judicial police in search of five individuals allegedly linked to the execution perpetrated the day before, and according to police the five subjects were riding in a white truck.

The operation caused anxiety in the area, especially at 13:30, because the police officers arrived with the support of public safety officers, armed, loaded and pointing rifles and pistols towards the building, even though only the police entered the hotel and the room, said informants.

The sources cited that in the first search that was performed between 8 and 9 in the morning, the judicial police entered into room 402 and looked around, even though the five people they were looking for were not there, they took their luggage (about 5 pieces) to investigate what they had in them. The police later returned at 11 o’clock in the morning, without positive results.

It was at 13:30, during the third search, this time the guests were there with the Ford F-150 Triton with license plate MEM-97-23/Q.Roo and were able to collaborate that the truck wasn’t stolen and that everything was in order.

This caused harsh feeling among the five guests because they argued that money was stolen from them and they blamed the hotel management for causing the whole mess, and caused them to meet Pedro Joaquín Delbouis, president of the Coparmex in Cozumel, who mention it with Manuel Jesús Cicero Salazar, Secretary of Public Security in the northern zone, at a meeting held on Tuesday at 13:00 in the auditorium of the Canaco, which César Trejo Vázquez , president of the Business Coordinating Board, and Eduardo Isidro Gutiérrez Sánchez, director of the municipal police.

No details were released about what happened to the money allegedly stolen from the guests, who left with a bad impression of Cozumel.

................................................................................................................................................

Sounds like the guests looked like the people that they were looking for, but it tuned out not to be them. But, the guests allege that the police stole money from their luggage. As for the execution, it sounds like an actual execution to me. Does anyone else read anything different than me?

That jumped out at me too but I took it to mean "they executed a search of the premises."

Update--According to UteFan's post below, there was an execution somewhere.

If that police officer has his face covered, that is not a good sign. That's drug war stuff.

Geeze, and we were just going on about how safe it is there and hope it stays that way, no need to get nervous about it as long as the drug cartels wars stay away from it. I really hope this all ends up being less serious then it's looking right now. Damn, I'd love some info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom