Trip Report July Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from a five day trip to Coz, staying and diving with Blue Angel. This was our first trip in a while; we'd gone as a couple every year for a while before having kids. That slowed down, and neither of us had been to the island in six years.

Everything was just as we remembered it. Good news, bad news, who's to say? Regardless, we had no issues at the airport or otherwise. We did have to get tested for COVID to come back, but the hotel arranged for someone from International Hospital to come right to our room and do the tests for $30/ea. The island was definitely not crowded, and everyone downtown was happy to see us. Over the course of five days, we did see a few cruise ships at Punta Maya, but as one of the vendors at the main square put it, the cruisers all stayed in their bubble, went to and from the beach clubs, and did not venture out.

Since this was our first trip with the kids, both junior open water, and their first times in the ocean, we were a little bit anxious. BA required us to get a private DM for the 11 year old, since he theoretically wouldn't be going below 40'. This turned out to not be a practical issue, but wife and son having their own DM really alleviated her anxiety. So they dove with Luis Miguel for all three days, and had a fabulous time. I buddied with my daughter, and we also had a fabulous time diving with Mateo, Julio, and Andy.

I won't bother describing all the dives, other than to say this was the first trip we didn't see a turtle, but we did see stingrays on every dive.... The only other thing I missed were the many green and purple tipped anemones I was used to seeing just about everywhere. I don't know what the explanation is for that.

A couple of product plugs: My daughter and I both have slow ears. A couple of weeks before the trip, I bought a Eustachi. We used it before and after dives, and it is a neat little gadget. We also used Doc's Pro Plugs for the first time. Also great. I didn't wear them the first day, and had a bit of a squeeze. Might have been enough that a smarter person would say I shouldn't have dove the next day. But three more days of diving with the plugs, and I was fine. Even when I had trouble equalizing, there was no pain or squeeze, or squeakers.

Above water, we took the kids around the island, and we took a tour of the chocolate factory and made our own chocolate from scratch: Chocolate Tour at Kaokao Chocolate Factory in Cozumel Island That was fun and educational as well.

Overall, it was a very good time. And while I could do this over and over, I think for the next dive trip, the kids may insist on visiting someplace we can flush the toilet paper.

Glad you guys had a good time. Did you do the shore dive? IIRC, it's pretty shallow and could be handy for a young diver looking to get more experience.

Richard.

Glad you guys had a good time. Did you do the shore dive? IIRC, it's pretty shallow and could be handy for a young diver looking to get more experience.

Richard.
We all did a shore dive the first day there, so the kids could get the feel of the ocean and a weight check. I did a long shore dive on the last day. I was pleasantly surprised at how well both kids did on buoyancy and everything considering these were their first dives outside of a pool or murky lake.

Thanks for sharing and including a link to one of your excursions. Sounds like you had a great trip. Guessing you had a rental car? If so how did that go? Any particulars to share?

Thanks for sharing and including a link to one of your excursions. Sounds like you had a great trip. Guessing you had a rental car? If so how did that go? Any particulars to share?
Having a rent car at Blue Angel could be problematic, as there really is no place to park; the southbound right lane on that part of Melgar is a designated bicycle lane. I guess you could park in the right lane across the street, but the hotel does not have any sort of parking lot. It's so close to town that cabs to and from anywhere I'd like to go are cheap, anyway, and there are always taxis cruising Melgar looking for fares.

We did have a rental car, just for the day we drove around the island. It went fine. I rented from Isis Rent a Car | Playa del Carmen and Cozumel, $35 for 24 hours for a clapped-out VW Beetle with the top cut off, that was mostly rust held together with paint. But it was fun. Isis does have newer cars and automatics if that's what floats your boat.

As @ggunn says, there's no parking lot at BA, but for the day I had the car, I had no trouble finding space across the street to park.

20210729_150558.jpg

As @ggunn says, there's no parking lot at BA, but for the day I had the car, I had no trouble finding space across the street to park.
You can't count on that; it works as long as only a few BA guests rent cars and as long as there is not much other demand for parking over there. When I was there in May there were several cars parking over there that were not rent cars.

You can't count on that; it works as long as only a few BA guests rent cars and as long as there is no other demand for parking over there. When I was there in May there were several cars parking over there that were not rent cars.
I make no promises; just relating my experience. The photo above was taken about 20 steps north of the hotel entrance. Parking is permitted all along the street there. Last week, a lane was blocked for "road construction" so part of it was unavailable for parking, but there was still room for at least 4 or 5 more cars. There was also space directly across from the hotel and just south of it. Worst case would have been a one- or two-minute walk.

Yes, if everyone at the hotel rented a car this would be a problem. But they don't. The hotel was pretty full, and AFACT, we were the only guests with a car at the time.

You can't count on that; it works as long as only a few BA guests rent cars and as long as there is not much other demand for parking over there. When I was there in May there were several cars parking over there that were not rent cars.

If you look at the photo he's a few hundred yards down the road. I've never seen that stretch completely full. You might not get a spot directly across from the hotel though.

Correction: so he was north of the hotel not south. That just means there is even more space.

If you look at the photo he's a few hundred yards down the road. I've never seen that stretch completely full. You might not get a spot directly across from the hotel though.

Correction: so he was north of the hotel not south. That just means there is even more space.
Car is parked at the X. I could have parked closer, but this was easy.

upload_2021-8-5_17-28-26.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom